All I need to know about who to draft in 2021 was summed up today.

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by JetsFan, Dec 19, 2020.

1. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

All I need to know about who to draft in 2021 was summed up today. Trevor Lawrence played #2 Notre Dame and completed 25 of 36 for 2 TDs, with 1 Int. He also ran 14 times for 90 yards and 1 TD. Meanwhile Justin Fields played Northwestern and was only able to complete 12 of 27 for a measly 114 yards, 0 TDs, and 2 Ints. He also ran 12 times for a pathetic 35 yards.

I know some have been calling for Fields, but at this point that's a joke. I live in Ohio and have to hear how great he is every weak, and he isn't

2. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Great post.

Fields is a phony. He isn't somebody we should draft. Let another loser franchise draft him. Trevor or bust.

If we somehow end up drafting second, we either should look at other QB prospects closely or just trade down.

I am upset. I wish Fields showed some promise so I didn't have to stress these last few games. Dang it.

york61, papapump, Jets79 and 3 others like this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well I agree the picture was clarified today - at least we know thatFields should not be a considertion, and Lawrence continues to show he's the cream of the crop. I'll hedge a little and say I haven't seen anyone else besides TL,Fields, and Wilson (I'm watching Alabama vs. FS, and their QBs), so it's conceivable that maybe somebody else is better - not better stats or resume, but just better in the traits that comprise a great QB - but I doubt it. At this point I really hope we go winless - at least until/if Jax wins another - and can grab Lawrence.

papapump, JetsKickAss and Brook! like this.
  4. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I don’t think there has been much debate between Lawrence and Fields. Lawrence has been at worst 1A since he walked on campus.

The question is if we somehow inexcusably win a game and fall out of the top spot.

5. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I really dont think Fields is as bad as you stated...BUT he is no Trevor. Go Jaguars , beat the Bear and let us be able to watch week 17 without the fear of a win. This is the most stressed out ive been since 1968 super bowl, thats how bad i want Trevor. You have to remember with Trevor also comes a a better chance of landing a quality coach. Trevor or bust.

6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If JetsGetFirstPick == 1: DraftLawrence();
    Else if JetsFuckUp == 1: TradeDown();

stinkyB, b.reyes16, Jets79 and 2 others like this.
  7. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

He's not bad enough to not consider. He is showing some major flaw this year though that I haven't seen until this point. Indiana and NW have really good defensive teams, that's not an excuse though. Still gotta get It done against good defense. Ohio State's game plan didn't help Fields either, their run game was extremely impressive today. No need to put It on Fields shoulders.

8. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

See week 17 thread.

9. Baumeister

Baumeister Well-Known Member

There are a lot of people on TGG who really know their shit when it comes to football and I am not one of them. That said Trevor Lawrence is the complete package. I watched the game and my only thought was he has all tools to be a great QB in the NFL. For the love of God please do not fuck this up Jets.

Freddy Mondo, Brook!, nycarl and 2 others like this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I wasn't a big fan of Fields before this game, but today really soured me on him. I know he's an OSU guy and you like OSU, but he's really not ready for the NFL. If he comes out he needs to go to a team with an established QB that he can sit behind and learn from, and a good QB coaching staff. He's a great athlete, no question, but he's not a great NFL QB prospect IMO.

Red Menace likes this.
  11. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Trevor had a much better day today! This is he guy I want under center for the next 20 yrs.
    [​IMG]

K'OB likes this.
  12. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Fields drops a bit but Wilson has a bit of helium right now. Lance is an unknown but Lawrence is THEE guy.

13. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

He really would benefit from another year in college -- what does he have 2 years of eligibility left ?

If the goes pro this year, he's going to sit for at least 1 and maybe 1 1/2 years....meaning he's not going to be a benefit from the salary-cap perspective.

14. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Today summed up what I've thought about Fields all along. In the NFL, he'll be a project at best. Maybe in the absolute right situation, he can be a serviceable starter, but that's about it. And that right situation certainly isn't the Jets. When we fall out of the #1 pick, we'll have to hope that the new staff can salvage Darnold, because he'll be all that we have at that point.

Jets79 likes this.
  15. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

It's not just that he's an OSU guy. OSU is historically known for not pushing out NFL caliber QBs. Widely known. I would be the first to admit this.

I don't think a couple bad games makes him an unworthy QB prospect. He has A LOT of the tools you want In a QB. The scheme made him look worse today. They didn't need him to win today.

He still has really good stats you would want In a FQB coming out of college. A couple picks doesn't change that. TL had an ugly pick today too but they went a different way to win.

I'm all about TL, I hope we get him badly.

..but. I think it would be foolish to not take Fields as option B.

Playoffs are still around the corner. There is still tape to see of these kids.

I think it's too early. I'm not going to bat for Fields because he plays for OSU. I think he legitimately has the tools to be a FQB In the NFL.

I would hate to pass on another QB that turns out to be a franchise changing caliber QB.

It's been too long to not eventually get this thing right at this point.

JetsKickAss and Snatch Catch like this.
  16. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

I totally agree with this. I really, really, really need the Jets to lose out and secure the first overall pick to lock in Lawrence. REALLY.

But Fields isn't some guaranteed bust that somehow shouldn't even be in the discussion for the second QB taken in this draft. There's not liking a prospect as much as the consensus, and then there's taking it too far. There's been talk about Fields on this board at times like he's basically undraftable, or only with a Day 3 pick. He may not pan out in the league, but c'mon now.

JetsKickAss likes this.
  17. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I disagree

I wouldn’t draft him

not an NFL QB...he is benefitting from a dominant OL and a great running game at a powerhouse school

he *may* be able to sit and develop on the right team, but he would suck on the Jets

he only completed passes when he had five yards between him and the OL and the receiver was wide open without a defender in the picture

Ohio State is a great program, but not for QBs...they haven’t done it historically and I see nothing in this kid to say he’ll be the first

no fucking thanks

he will flop just like Haskins is flopping

I’d trade out if we end up with the second pick

today showed that we ABSOLUTELY need to lose out for that top pick

all the talk about Fields being close to TL or even better is flat out bullshit

some teams will talk themselves into it but I do t see it

18. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

sick camel case brah

19. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

He was bloody awful yesterday though.

20. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member