Algeria Crisis: Hostages, Including Americans, Held Captive at BP Oil Plant

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by VanderbiltJets, Jan 16, 2013.

1. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

Rescue raid had already ended. Now Algerian Media confirms that the hostage situation has ended.

At least 30 hostages killed (including at least 7 foreigners). At least 11 militants killed.

2. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Are you kidding? Algeria is a country boardered by Libya who recently went through Civil war and has problems with Muslim insergents and Mali who currently has thier northren region overrun by Militant Muslim groups. This entire area of the world is unstable. Do you really belive taking a job there is as dangerous as a job in Manhatten?

Should the US responed to an attack on thier citizens? In some way yes but not always with military might. It is the responsability of the citizen to keep themself out of areas that are dangerous as well.

3. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

Exactly. It's a high paying job that comes with high risks...

You might get killed or captured...You know the risks going in...

:shit:

4. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

You're right Manhattan is generally much safer then Algeria however compared to Chicago you are less likely to be a victim of homicide in Algeria. It's also much safer then Mexico. In spite of that the State department does have a warning for US citizens which should be taken seriously particularly in light of what happened to our own embassy once Kaddafi's arsenal was breached.

Interestingly it appears a good portion of the arms that are being used by Al Qaeda in Mali and perhaps in this attack are from Kaddafi’s arsenal. Chances are pretty good that if we didn’t aid the rebels that arsenal may well still be under his control.

Since the WTC were taken down and a bomb was found in time square, I'm not so sure your safe anywhere. That said the US government has warned people about Algeria and they should be careful. Still I would expect the US government to do everything in it's power short of going to war to help US citizens in any part of the globe that come under attack.

I don't think we should man embassies that are in host countries that can't or won't supply security. That doesn't mean we don't come to their aid.

#24 Biggs, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  5. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I understand where your coming from. Algeria took swift and extreme action today and a lot of people died because of it, but I'm not able to say how much of the response ability for the seemly light security up front is on the government and how much is on the shoulders of BP. Without knowing the working agreement between the two it's hard to comment one way or the other.

I also do not see this as a situation like Pakistan where the government is all but giving open support to the opposition. They may have gone too far too quickly with thier reaction, but no one can doubt the effectiveness in routing out the insurgent group.

The only way for the US to react now is to try and persuade Algeria to deal with hostage situations with more care for the hostages. We may also be pushed closer to helping the French in Mali to bring some stability to the region. I'm not a fan of dumping billions more into another land war at this point.

Your right about libya's weapons being used. All of our international military decisions have thier repercussions. We are still facing issues from our arming and training the mujahideen in Afghanistan in the 80's and will most like be dealing with the fallout from Iraq and Lybia for decades to come. When you create a vacuumed of power within a country getting order restored is not a quick and easy fix.

6. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

http://news.yahoo.com/30-hostages-killed-algeria-gas-plant-algerian-security-211240069--finance.html

7. VanderbiltJets

#27 VanderbiltJets, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  8. VanderbiltJets

U.K.: Terrorist situation "ongoing"