Alex Smith....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mezzavo, Jan 28, 2013.

1. NFL

NFL Active Member

I agree with him. Your trading Revis for the 31st pick, pretty much a second rounder, and a guy that I doubt beats Mark Sanchez in a QB competition plus fucks our cap up even more. No thanks.

2. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

We are said to be intrested in Matt Moore, We arent gonna trade Revis or anything else for Alex Smith, thats a joke of a trade if there ever was one. Everyones forgetting about what a joke and a bust Alex Smith was before Hardbaugh fixed him using his system. Alex Smith has a huge risk of failing any where else he goes, he got more coaches fired then Sanchez and was considered a coach killer. I dont buy his two good years under Hardbaugh

3. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

IMO, Moore is the best case scenario for us.
    If we get a guy like Smith it's a marriage, and i'm not looking to get married.

4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Wonder if the 9'ers would trade Smith for Revis contract for contract?

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Why would the Jets do this? Smith arriving and Revis leaving both have big negative cap ramifications. It's like taking a bad cap situation and making it as bad as it possibly can be.

The trade that would make sense if the Jets had decided they had to have Smith this year would be Cromartie for Smith. At least in that deal the overall cap ramifications are even or slightly positive.

6. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

With Sanchez and Holmes off the books next year a Revis contract isn't that big of a deal to take care of in house. Will just depend on how crazy Revis' team is with the numbers. The fact that Nmandi's got a huge deal and has proven to be a bust will make teams nervous about spending $15mil a year on a CB with a knee issue.

7. Br4d

I think the only realistic chance that Revis is on the Jets long-term is if he gets to test the market and finds out that the market just isn't there for the kind of deal he is looking for.

If the Jets are keeping Rex my guess is that Revis would rather play here for a disappointing deal than anywhere else. This assuming that a really good team isn't willing to pay at a $12M a year clip with a lot of guarantees.

You could make an argument for the Jets deciding to let Revis test the market this year by negotiating for a long-term deal with anybody who was interested in acquiring him. The Jets would have to set the value they wanted in return out there before the bidding opened, probably in the form of overall draft trade value required. This would give bidders the maximum incentive to make an honest bid for Revis since they would not just be doing legwork for the Jets by negotiating Revis contract for them.

The downside would be that it would be almost impossible to allege tampering against anybody who participated in the process and it would be easy for a team and Revis to make a wink-wink agreement that would result in Revis staying on the Jets and then jumping to that team as a free agent in 2014.

I think Revis is going to discover that the cap is a big impediment to his desire to get paid the way he wants too moving forward. I don't think the Bills would have given Mario Williams the deal they did if they understood that the cap was flat into the forseeable future.

#207 Br4d, Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  8. Sweet P

Sweet P Banned

You're kidding right?

9. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Nope. It wasn't like Alex Smith was actively losing games for them.

10. Br4d

You don't take a QB in the 2nd round with the intention of sitting him. Alex Smith was on the bubble from the moment the 49ers took Colin Kaepernick. He responded with the best football he could possibly have given them and they still sat him at the first opportunity.

Mangini's huge mistake was not Vernon Gholston. His huge mistake was taking Kellen Clemens in the 2nd round in 2006 and then not getting anything out of him. Gholston was the capper but by the time the Jets were working on Brett Favre time in 2008 Mangini's window of success was narrowing hard and a big part of that was Clemens not being the QB the Jets envisioned when they drafted him.

11. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Kellen Clemens was not the epic disaster that Vernon "the Ghost" Gholston was.

That said, I have two words for you: Brian Schottenheimer

12. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

This thread can be locked....word on the street is A. Smith will be traded to Kansas City!

13. LongIslandBlitz

Kansas City cheifs and the 49ers have agreed to a deal to trade Alex Smith to KC, so the Alex Smith talk about the Jets is over,per Adam Shefter

14. JET'S_my_name

JET'S_my_name Banned

Niner's straight up fleeced the Chiefs.

15. NFL

NFL Active Member

Yes they did. They dis get a new GM right? How can he make this move.. he's lucky that Andy Reid is the coach.. if anyone can keep Alex Smith going its him.

Do we make a move to one of the Chiefs' QBs now if released for more competition?

16. LongIslandBlitz

Its funny to, Some Jets fans wanted us to trade Revis for Alex Smith, or Trade a first for Alex Smith. The Chiefs traded a second and a future mid rounder for him.

17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

lmao Chiefs, good thing we didn't bite on that and give up a 2nd rounder. My God the butthurt on this board would be amazing

18. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Not hardly.

In that environment Smith can play he couldn't here.

And for the second pick in the second....that's pretty fair.

I'd take that for Revis.

19. This tells ya what Reid must think about Geno Smith...do Chiefs now take the Tackle #1?

20. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Alex Smith is trash bro. They do have amazing talent all-around except for the offensive line, and maybe the play-makers. But Alex Smith always had issues getting the football to his WRs. At least he can check-down to Jamaal Charles.