ALDS - Yankees vs Tigers

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by AMJets, Sep 29, 2011.

1. IATA

IATA Trolls

When you say "overachieve", do you mean they shouldn't have even made the playoffs? Because a first round out ain't exactly impressive.

2. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I really dispute the idea that the Yankees rotation was just Sabathia. For starters, AJ pitched very well early on and late. His middle this year was very disappointing, but otherwise he was not just good, but very good. Even not counting AJ though, the only rookie considered better in the AL over Nova was Hellickson this year. He was, is, and will be, a great #2. After those 3, sure, nothing was knock-your-socks-off, but it's hard to argue with the overall success of the 4/5 combination of Garcia and Colon. Hell, at one point Colon was seen as the #2 of the staff.

As for the questions, CC will probably return. The feeling on the postgame yesterday was that CC intends to return. Soriano still has another year, I believe, so he's likely back unless Cashman trades him. (Cashman staying is the bigger question.) Even if Soriano goes though, Joba has already begun throwing post-TJ, and Robertson established himself as the 8th inning guy.

Kontos is someone I'm marking as someone everyone should be watching to be part of the "bridge" next year, especially early on before Joba is ready to return. He pitched well this year in Scranton and kept it up when he got his shot in September.

Posada has played his last game in pinstripes. I'm all but completely certain of it. There just isn't enough room to carry him with that precious DH spot needed by all the old-timers this team is fielding (not to mention getting Montero as many ABs as possible).

That's not a bad rotation at all. Also, if AJ can get over his mid-year problems, he's at least the #3 pitcher in terms of talent. I'm hoping that whatever tweaks Rothschild made late in the year are something that continues to work.

I'm curious to see if the Yankees bother with pursuing CJ Wilson. I'm not sure it's worth it. I think there is a lot of pitching talent in this organization, and honestly, if Garcia wants to give it another shot next year, I'd invite him to Spring Training too. Someone else to keep an eye out for, and I'm hoping he gets an invite to Tampa, is David Phelps. He missed time this year, but was pretty good for Scranton (2.66 ERA). Adam Warren is yet another name to watch for (3.66 ERA).

3. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

Some classic Fucktard Yankee Fans calling with their ideas to improve the team:

- Get rid of CC and get two starting pitchers. Don't know who, but we need to do it.
    - We need to sign Lance Berkman
    - Replace A-Rod with Monterro at 3B next year
    - Put Monterro in RF

Surprised no one called in proposing a Swisher for King Felix trade, straight up!

4. IATA

IATA Trolls

SEE YANKEE FANS!! THIS IS WHY PEOPLE THINK YOU'RE AWFUL!

We all have stupid asshole fans, but your stupid asshole fans are NATIONAL.

5. ToonWalker

ToonWalker New Member

Definitely bummed since I thought the Yankees were the better team.
    The team was so anti-clutch it was pathetic.

The blessing/curse of being a Yankees fan is that every year the team doesn't win the WS it's viewed as a disappointment...but at least they always have an excellent opportunity.
    For the VAST majority of fans, just having their team reach the playoffs is cause for celebration and considered a "successful" season.

I always expect the cheering of non-Yankees fans when the team's eliminated. No big deal.
    The most comical jeers come from Mets fans, though. That franchise is such a loser-filled shambles that you can't take the "insults" seriously. They would fuck their mothers if it would guarantee them back-to-back playoff seasons.

From BoSox fans I just have to grin and bear it, since I understand the hatred and it's mutual.
    Oh well....looking forward to yet another shot at the title in 2012.

6. Cappy

Cappy Well-Known Member

I'm sure he's referring to winning the division and having the best record in the AL over 162 games, despite playing in the same division as the greatest team ever. not many people were picking the Yankees.

Playoffs are a crap shoot.

7. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

I'd be shocked if one of Wilson or Darvish aren't signed this off-season.

8. TommyJ

TommyJ Well-Known Member

so are the jet fans. plenty of them out here and they're assholes too.
    we're all assholes.

9. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Yankee fans don't particularly give a shit what other fans think about us. Mostly because we're always too busy watching our team win to worry about what others think of us.

Trolling gets annoying only because it's so pervasive that it interrupts our conversations. Otherwise, we don't care what other fans have to deal with or that they think we're ridiculous.

In the end it's nice that we were in it, and once we calm down it's easier to remember that. It still stings, but it's just like a sportswriter wrote probably 10 years ago now (I don't even remember who it was at this point):

"Every year is next year for the Yankees."

Yeah, I just read that Cashman is the priority to Levine and after that, they'll likely have him go after CJ Wilson.

Much to Don's chagrin, Cashman wants to return and the Steinbrothers want him back. I'll admit I got on his case a bit this year, but he's doing a good job. It's hard to argue against all of the talent coming up through the system, and his reluctance to trade it even to see immediate dividends looks like it'll pay off in the near future.

10. TommyJ

TommyJ Well-Known Member

good call Alio

11. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Considering they were playing in the same division as the greatest team ever assembled the fact that they won the division certainly was better then what most had projected. I thought I saw something the other day that 47 of 47 of the so called experts on ESPN picked the Sox to win the division. Throw in unlike the chumps north on I-95 they fought through the injuries and never used it as an excuse like the Sawx fans did.

What I meant was all the question marks going into the season with the starting pitching. Most people pegged you to have CC and Hughes at the top of the order but after that it was a mess. Did anybody expect Nova to come out of nowhere like he did? I know that there isn't one person on the planet who saw Bartolo or Garcia doing what they did.

I think Soriano has an opt out, pretty awful contract. Maybe I'm wrong but you better check that. He made a boat load of cash but I'm quite positive he can opt out.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/baseball/mlb/01/13/yankees.soriano/index.html

2nd paragraph, he can opt out after 1st or 2nd year. Maybe he wants to close someplace and not wait for Mo to retire.

Bingo

Doubt anybody is signing Darvish, all things I read are that he has no interest playing in the states. His wife is Japanese and he doesn't want to uproot and move here. Throw in the struggles most Japanese pitchers are having in the majors and that's an awful lot of pressure for a young kid like him. Obviously money can change a lot of things but I think Wilson is more then likely your guy.

12. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

the little 200m payroll that could. a story of true inspiration and hard work.

13. IATA

IATA Trolls

Right now the Blue Jays are considered Darvish front runners. That'd be an amazing signing for Anthropoulos. That of course is considering Darvish even decides he wants to come here and gets posted.

From NPB:

and an article I found very informative a few weeks back:
    http://www.npbtracker.com/tag/yu-darvish/

14. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Considering Freddy Garcia and Bartolo Colon were actually key contributors, yes. I thought they'd win the WC if Burnett was reliable, he wasn't and they won the division. They definitely overachieved despite whatever inflated number the payroll is.

Like Cappy said, playoffs are a crapshoot. It's not uncommon to see a team lose 3 out of 5 games in a season. They just laid an egg at the wrong time.

15. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

The Yankees were 2-3 in 2011. You call that winning? I don't call it winning. I call it losing.

By the way,

BASEBALL IS GOOD AGAIN!

16. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Ahhh okay, I get it.

As far as the rotation though, I can say that I called it on Nova. Definitely in Spring Training, but I think it was even as far back as last year I was saying he'd top out as a #2 pitcher. As for Colon and Garcia, I think I recall Cappy saying at least Garcia would be a good back-end guy.

Sure, analysts were writing off the Yankees, but it was less about a weak rotation and more about The Greatest Team Ever™ being a sure thing to win the division. (Though I'll grant that the rotation overachieved.)

The biggest wild card was AJ. As I discussed before the season started, would Rothschild get him on track was the big question. For 2/3 of the year, he did. Unfortunately for AJ, his August was absolutely dreadful and it overshadowed an otherwise pretty good year.

Yeah, I saw it over the weekend. Whatever. I wouldn't have a problem with him opting out. He's not even the future closer at this point. Robertson is. There is depth at reliever in the Yankees' system, so overpaying Soriano isn't really worth it. He can make his money elsewhere.

It's so cute how you troll all around the site and feign innocence to not get the banstick. Then when threatened you cry and stomp your feet and threaten to leave forever! (Again)

Yes, I call winning the division again, winning. The Yankees surely win more than the teams of their two biggest fanbase detractors. I mean, since the last time the Mets were in the World Series the Yankees have won as many world titles as the Mets ever have and as many as the Red Sox have in around 90 years.

That's not even counting how many playoff appearances and division titles they've had in that time span.

Actually, if memory serves correctly, in that same time span the Yankees have lost as many World Series as the Mets have won ever.

Schadenfraude is an okay second to actually winning games, I guess, but I wouldn't know.

And before you bother to say it, no one brought up the Mets or the Sox. I did. Mostly because it's funny.

17. TommyJ

TommyJ Well-Known Member

naah, Cakes is expressing what alot of people feel, they are sick of the yankees, i'd be too if i weren't a true yankee fan.

18. IATA

IATA Trolls

Delmon Young is apparently just fine and is 0-4.

19. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

No he's not. You've only been here since December of last year, so I understand your thinking that. Trust me, his intent isn't so innocent.

Besides, if people are tired of the Yankees, beat them. The Tigers did. That gets them out of the news. Notice fans of teams other than the Yankees can't help but still talk about them though?

I'm not sure what this has to do with this thread.

20. IATA

IATA Trolls

that was posted in the wrong thread, which was seemingly obvious to everyone but someone who has a (bad) opinion about everything.