ALCS: Texas Rangers vs New York Yankees

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by AMJets, Oct 13, 2010.

1. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

I'm not going into a series worried about who can and cannot pitch Game 7. I'd rather have the advantage in Game 4 and worry about Game 7 if it comes.

I'd be comfortable with Pettitte on three days rest, I think he can handle it. And if he wins, he'd have at least a week off until his next start.

I threw this out as a possible scenario that shouldn't be dismissed so quickly, because it makes plenty of sense. It doesn't really matter to me what they do, as long as they play like their capable of and not like they did in September, no one's going to beat them. The Game 3 debate, imo, will end up being inconsequential.

If you really wanted to make things interesting, you could pitch Pettitte in Game 1 and Hughes in Game 2 (better on the road this year), then have Sabathia for Game 3 (better at home) and available to match up against Lee twice. But Girardi would never rock the boat that much.

2. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

If a team has the same attitude as you do, then it increases the odds that it will lose the series.

3. Cappy

Cappy Well-Known Member

How do you figure?

4. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

If you don't prepare and don't give thought to who might or might not be able to pitch in Game 7, then common sense says you have increased the odds that you will lose Game 7.

Here with this series, the unprepared manager, the dolt, the idiot might start Burnett in Game 3 and then paint himself into a corner in Game 7 if he doesn't give at least some thought to all 7 possible games right now.

The prepared manager, the thinking one, the genius will consider many possible scenarios right now and determine the best possible way to handle the pitching staff. The prepared manager is more likely to lead his team to a series victory than the unprepared "live for today" manager.

5. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

If a team is focused on Game 7 before a series starts, then it is already in trouble.

You don't build a postseason rotation based on who can pitch in potential games. I'll take a clear advantage in Game 4 (a game that definitely will be played) with Pettitte over being an underdog in back to back home games, even if it means having Pettitte on short rest (not a big deal unless he still has groin pain that he's not telling anyone). If the Yankees were doing this to put themselves in the best position for potential games late in the series, neither rotation would be the best one.

And again, this debate and Burnett himself will ultimately have little importance. If the Yankees are down in this series, or in any sort of "crisis", Burnett won't see the field.

6. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Focused on Game 7? Where did I write or imply that Game 7 is the focus?

"Ooh, Cliff Lee. Big bad Cliff Lee. Fuck the highest payroll in baseball and all our future Hall of Famers. We can't handle Cliff Lee. Hey, feel this. Yeah, no balls down there."

7. Cappy

Cappy Well-Known Member

Now you're just trolling.

8. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

For the record, I do not think the ALCS will go 7 games. Either way, Game 7 is clearly not the focus right now. Game 7 will be the focus on October 23 if the series were to somehow last that long.

9. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

TommyGreen can do this, but I can't? Somebody alert a moderator. Cakes is in a Yankees thread.

I happened to have just written the same idea as TommyGreen did earlier in the thread, but I did so in a colorful way. It is not trolling. It was done for effect to knock some sense into AMJets. He was probably a fan of "play not to lose" masterminds Herman Edwards and Paul Hackett. Those guys were/are football coaches, Cappy.

10. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

You quoted the part of my post in your response where I said I'm not worried about Game 7 before the series starts. If I'm worried about Game 7 before Game 1 is even played, I'm making that the focus.

These were my words, my "attitude" as you put it. You decided to respond to that part specifically.

This sounds like the unprepared, "live for today" manager you talked about.

The prepared manager, the thinking one, the genius will recognize that he may be leaving himself exposed in Game 4.

And if the Yankees are in any sort of trouble, like down 2-1 with Burnett scheduled for Game 4, then Burnett won't pitch and the team will go with a three man rotation the rest of the way.

Pitching on three days rest, leaving themselves unexposed. Managing unprepared, like a "dolt", like an "idiot". Managing like they did last year, winning a world championship.

11. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

I'm a fan of "play not to lose" masterminds Herman Edwards and Paul Hackett, but I'm managing in an unprepared, "live for today" way?

This must be the first time Paul Hackett hasn't been considered over prepared and conservative.

12. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I don't think Cakes is trolling...I know enough of him to know that he is legitimately interested in how the Yankees will approach the rotation in this series.

I think one thing that we all haven't discussed is that like 90% of Texas' runs came via Home Run in the playoffs (just arbitrarily came up with this figure Cappy, don't lynch me..but it seemed like a good portion of their runs weren't manufactured).

13. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

I'm sure that's one of the reasons why Girardi wanted Hughes pitching in Game 2. Texas isn't quite as bad on fly ball pitchers as Yankee Stadium. Girardi says it's because Hughes has been good in that stadium, but it's a small sample size.

14. Cappy

Cappy Well-Known Member

Trolling is when the primary goal of your post is to provoke an emotional response (as opposed to contributing to the conversation). I think that was the goal of your post. If it's not, it's a pretty fucking huge straw man, and doesn't say much for your reading comprehension skills.

15. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I'm worried about Cruz.

If the guy gets another HR...I have to pitch around him.

16. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I did not come here to troll. Heck, I know trolling an NYY thread would result in an infraction of some kind.

17. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

I know you didn't come here to troll, but take the high road and let it go. Same with you, Cappy. No reason to fight here.

And I totally agree with the rotation. I like Hughes in games 2 and 6. I like pitching him on the road. I like going with Pettitte, the lefty, at Yankee Stadium, and I like matching him up against Lee. Finally, I want the Burnett game to be game 4. That could get ugly at Yankee Stadium, but I have random confidence he'll do at least okay.

If we're down in the series heading into game 4, I'd seriously consider bringing CC back on short rest, unless he gets knocked around tonight. Then Hughes and Pettitte would have to go on short rest, which would suck, but hopefully there's a rainout somewhere..

18. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

they are fired up in Texas.

19. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

no manager in the history of baseball has ever set his rotation only concerned with the first four games, thus expecting a sweep and not concerned about who he will have available to pitch any other game beyond then and on how many days rest. that is beyond stupid.

20. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Here we go with the HRs