Al Golden to Miami

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by vinsjets, Dec 12, 2010.

1. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5912786
    Golden against MAC teams with winning records = 0-12

Last season, Temple played one MAC team with a winning and lost 35-17. Lost to 6-6 UCLA in bowl game.

This year, Temple was 0-3 against 6-6 or better MAC teams - combined score 85-43.

2. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I like this hire. I think Al Golden will do a surprisingly good job at the U. He's one of the best young coaches in all of college football.

I'm surprised Miami didn't wait for Gus Malzahn though.

3. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Isn't Rex Ryan getting fired this week? I think they should have waited for him.

4. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

I'm a big fan of Golden, and I think he'll be a great fit with Miami. He's a fiery guy, something they haven't had since Butch, a great recruiter, and a guy that *GASP* knows how to get the most out of talent. UM's problem right now isn't with the skill of the players, it's that they go out on the field and don't know how to play. Shannon was in over his head from Day one, as was Larry Coker once Butch's players headed to the NFL. The Canes needed to get a coach who actually had HC experience.

As far as the stats vinsjets posted at the beginning of the article, how about 0-11 in 2005 vs. 17-5 over the past two seasons. Temple was one of the most horrifically bad programs in the country when he took over, and he's gotten them to near double digit wins two years in a row. SEC, MAC, FCS, LFL, I don't care, but a guy that can turn such a miserable program around so quickly clearly knows what he's doing.

The only questions that really stand out to me now are who will he bring in as the OC, and will try to install a 34 defense in Miami.

Malzahn's going to Vandy.

5. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I saw the rumors about that last night. I said to myself: "...he'd be nuts to take that job."

Malzahn must be crazy. I hope he has success at Vanderbilt - that program needs some new life.

6. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

I'm figuring that he wasn't really getting much heat as a HC candidate, so he figured he might as well take any job before Cam leaves town and the NCAA does anything to Auburn. Worst case, he gets three or four years as the Vandy coach getting paid handsomely, does terrible and gets fired, then gets his pick of OC jobs across the country.

7. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I think Gus Malzahn will have success no matter where he goes. This guy is an offensive genius. He's had success everywhere: Arkansas, Tulsa, and Auburn. It'll be interesting to see how he does as a head coach.

I'm not saying Vanderbilt's going to win the SEC or even compete for a conference title, but I think he'll get them to bowl games on a consistent basis before he moves on for bigger and better things.

I heard he's making like 2.5 million a year at Vandy - not too shabby.

8. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Malzahn turned down Vandy. He staying at Auburn...for now.

9. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Could he have a future in the NFL as an OC? And for future I mean next year...

10. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

No, Malzahn is a master of the spread option. He invented the Wildcat formation - most people don't know that.

He's the perfect college football offensive coordinator. I hope he has success as a head coach whenever he gets the opportunity.

Back on topic though: In my opinion, this is a great hire for The U. I've been a big fan of Al Golden for a while...he's done more with less at Temple for a few years. I think he'll be a great fit in Miami.

#10 Mr Electric, Dec 13, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2010