AFC Playoff Hunt Picture

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by CleanFernandez, Nov 27, 2008.

1. CleanFernandez

CleanFernandez New Member

Pats Record, 7-4 Div,3-2,Conf,5-4
    Steelers
    @Seattle
    @Oakland
    Arizona
    @Buffalo
    Steelers Record, 8-3, Conf,7-1
    @Pats
    Cowboys
    @Ravens
    @Titans
    Browns
    Titans Record, 10-1, Conf,7-1
    Detroit
    Browns
    @Houston
    Steelers
    @Indy
    Dolphins Record, 6-5, Div,2-2 Conf,5-4
    @Rams
    @Buffalo-Toronto
    SF
    @Chiefs
    JETS
    Bills Record, 6-5, Div, 0-3 Conf, 4-4
    SF
    Phins-Toronto
    @JETS
    @Denver
    Pats
    Colts Record, 7-4, Conf, 6-2
    @Browns
    Bengals
    Lions
    @Jaguars
    Titans
    Ravens Record, 7-4, Conf, 6-3
    @Bengals
    Redskins
    Steelers
    @Dallas
    Jaguars
    JETS Record, 8-3, Div, 3-1, Conf 6-3
    DENVER
    @SF
    BILLS
    @SEATTLE
    DOLPHINS

Div= Divison Record
    Conf= Conference Record

2. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

I just look at all our remaining games and none of those fixtures scares me.
    The div is ours to win or lose.
    The Pats have potential banana skins in the Steelers, Raiders and Cards.
    Personally I think that Miami are the ones to watch here, and will give us heart attacks on the last day of the regular season

3. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

12-4 for the Jets.... I think the division belongs to the Jets from here on out... PIT needs to lose to either the Pats or the Ravens and I think that The Jets could get the #2 seed.

The #2 seed is everything to this team... they will have traveled back and forth all December.. having that extra week is going to mean everything, not to mention Mangini with an extra week to prepare gameplans. I don't mean for opponents, he won't know who he's playing until the WC games are over, but set up the basic stuff early.

4. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I just want to see total domination each and every week. Anything less will be a disappointment.

5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

This is how i see the playoffs going:

Wild Card Round
    (1) Titans 13-3 (bye)
    (2) Jets 12-4 (bye)
    (3) Pitt 10-6 vs (6) NE 11-5 (WC2)
    (4) Denver 9-7 vs (5) Colts 11-5 (WC1)

Divisional Round
    (1) Titans vs (6) NE
    (2) Jets vs (5) Colts

AFC Championship Round
    (2) Jets vs (6) NE

Super Bowl
    Jets or Pats vs G-Girls

if we DO get the #2 seed, then we get the pats in the AFC championship game. This would be a perfect scenario. What better team to beat to make the big dance than the pats? Plus sending billy home would not suck either.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This is what I thought until the last two games. Now the Fins are down two and I'm not as worried that they can cause us problems on the last day of the season.

The thing that worries me the most in regards to them is that we'll have the division clinched going into that game at 11-4 or 12-3 and they'll come in on life support at 9-6 and potentially cost us a first round bye as the Jets let down and the Fins are sky high for the game.

7. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

pit has to wiin the game to give us a little seperation between us and the pats

8. CleanFernandez

CleanFernandez New Member

The Steelers have to beat the pats on sunday to give us some room, The pats have an easy schedule after this sunday.

9. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I agree. Alot of folks talking about the Steelers losing, looking towards a #2 seed. I'm more concerned about winning the division. The PATS have a cakewalk after the Steelers, while Pit has some tough games. Knock the Pats down another game 1st, then hope the rest of the chips fall in place.

Here we go Steelers Here we go........

10. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

I agree. The Pats play us tough. I want them out of contention altogether. There are plenty of other AFC teams I'd rather face, Steelers included.

Go Pittsburgh!

11. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

the pats will squeek in as the 2nd wildcard, which means if they can beat the titans, then we get them in the championship game. close to garuanteed as this point.

dont understimate the amount of 'feel good' that comes from not just winning, but beating 'real teams'. that's what made the g-girls story so compeling last year.

i want some of that

12. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Just based on the future schedule the Steelers have one tough road to hoe. Besides the Pats they have Dallas, Balt & TN still to play

13. XGBer-Moving_On

XGBer-Moving_On New Member

If the Jets beat the Bills and the Dolphins plus 2 other wins they own the #2 TB "divisional win percentage" against the Colts since the Colts cannot go 5-1 in the AFC South. Jets must go 4-1, beating BUFF and MIA. Even if Colts win out and have better AFC CONF, they lose the TB. OH, and PITT MUST get 2 more losses. This why most 2nd place Divisional finishers do not get #2 seed

#13 XGBer-Moving_On, Nov 28, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  14. wildthing202

wildthing202 Active Member

....:rofl:

TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION

If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.
    Two Clubs

1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
    2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
    3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
    4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
    5. Strength of victory.
    6. Strength of schedule.
    7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
    8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
    9. Best net points in common games.
    10. Best net points in all games.
    11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
    12. Coin toss

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated during any step, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of the two-club format).

1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games among the clubs).
    2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
    3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
    4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
    5. Strength of victory.
    6. Strength of schedule.
    7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
    9. Best net points in common games.
    12. Coin toss

TO BREAK A TIE FOR THE WILD-CARD TEAM

If it is necessary to break ties to determine the two Wild-Card clubs from each conference, the following steps will be taken.

1. If the tied clubs are from the same division, apply division tie breaker.
    2. If the tied clubs are from different divisions, apply the following steps.

Two Clubs

1. Head-to-head, if applicable.
    2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
    3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
    4. Strength of victory.
    5. Strength of schedule.
    6. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
    7. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
    8. Best net points in conference games.
    9. Best net points in all games.
    10. Best net touchdowns in all games.
    11. Coin toss.

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
    2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
    3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
    4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
    5. Strength of victory.
    6. Strength of schedule.
    9. Best net points in conference games.
    12. Coin toss

When the first Wild-Card team has been identified, the procedure is repeated to name the second Wild-Card, i.e., eliminate all but the highest-ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. In situations where three or more teams from the same division are involved in the procedure, the original seeding of the teams remains the same for subsequent applications of the tie breaker if the top-ranked team in that division qualifies for a Wild-Card berth.

Read it and understand it well.

This means as of right now. We lose the tiebreakers vs. Indy and Pit(Jets are 6-3 in the conference vs. Indy's 6-2 and Pit's 7-1)
    We win vs. Ten due to H2H
    We play Denver so who ever wins, wins the tiebreaker.
    Unless we beat both Miami and Buffalo or win 1 and Pats lose their last one I believe we'd lose the common games tiebreaker.(NFC West & AFC West games) but win the SOV tiebreaker pending on who we lose to since it goes conf. record then SOV.
    Essentially as long as we finish 1 game better than Pit we're the 2 seed or else we're playing Wild Card weekend.

BTW - WILD CARDS ARE NEVER 2 SEEDS!!!!!!

15. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

That west coast trip is what's gonna decide our destiny.

16. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Damn. Home, West Coast, Home, West Coast, and Home.

I want to be at that Dolphins game.

17. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

and with all that travel, I'd like them to get the 1st round bye... it'll help reset the clock and wait for that divisional round home game. Plus Mangini with an extra week to prepare??? Why even play the game. hahahahahaha

18. XGBer-Moving_On

XGBer-Moving_On New Member

What you you posted is good information but applies to divisional ties and rules for determining Wild Card Teams, 2 - 3 teams. This will come into play if the Pats and the JETS tie at 11-5 and are both 3-3 in AFC East. Lets both hope it doesn't get there. My post regards playoff seeding. If Indy and the Jets tie at 12-4 (as I believe a hot INDY team is going to win out), but the JETS beat buffalo and Miami, ending 5-1 in Division. Regardless of AFC Record, JETS own the #2 TB according to the following:

Breaking ties
    Often, teams will finish a season with identical records. It becomes necessary, therefore, to devise means to break these ties, either to determine which teams will qualify for the playoffs, or to determine seeding in the playoff tournament. The rules below are applied in order until the tie is broken. If three teams are tied for one playoff spot, the rules are applied only until the first team qualifies. If multiple playoff spots are at stake, the rules are applied in order until the first team qualifies, then the process is started again for the remaining teams.
    • Head-to-head (team with the best record in all games played between the teams tied) - They do not play each other, go to next.
    • Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division. (This is for determining Division Champion; also, if there is a tie for a wild-card berth, this is used for breaking ties within a division.) - Jets seeded higher than INDY bec it is at this moment impossible for INDY to go better than 4-2 in AFC South
    • Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games (only applicable with a minimum of 4 common opponents)
    • Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
    • Strength of victory (winning percentage of opponents that were beaten)
    • Strength of schedule (winning percentage of all opponents played)
    • Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
    • Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed
    • Best net points in common games
    • Best net touchdowns in all games
    • Best net points in all games
    • Coin flip.
    Conference record is the 4th tie breaker!
    Now my information came from Wiki which is not always 100% reliable

I do end my post with the predication that Pittsburgh needs to lose 2 (very probable) and the JETS go 4-1 because the Steelers are very likely to go 6-0, or 5-1 in AFC North. Yes the JETS must get to and stay 1 game up on Pittsburgh, because if they tie overall, PITT has the tiebreakers. The Steelers have beaten CIN and SD (11-10 sheesh!!). They have to play NE and TENN. The JETS can ill afford to lose another AFC game- PERIOD. but the Denver game is not as huge as I previously thought when I thought that Conference record was a higher ranked tie breaker. Beating the Bills and the Dolphins is more important to the JETS getting the #2 seed.

I hope for a 5-0 JETS run and 2 losses by titans, assuring, I think, that the AFC Championship game goes through the Meadowlands!!

Again, BTW, by design, this is why a team that does not win its division is excluded from #2 seed.

#18 XGBer-Moving_On, Nov 28, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  19. TonyIommi

TonyIommi Active Member

I think you have the Pats conference record wrong. They have lost to Jets,Fins,Colts and Chargers.

20. hookteeth

hookteeth Member

The Jets win out and will be 13-3, and we'll beat any team that falls to us. With a bye week in the playoffs and playing at home nothing will stop us. On to the championship game, then the Super Bowl. Go Jets!!!!!