Addiction Thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by BroadwayAaron, Dec 7, 2022.

1. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

It's on topic from where I'm sitting.

2. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

On your high horse?

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Do you know what year it is?

4. jetophile

Of course I do. Team Drs. are afraid for their asses now but it doesn't mean they weren't highly complicit at the time. I don't doubt Mitchell was already in trouble.

5. jetophile

Giddy up.

Acad23 likes this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

What exactly makes you the arbiter on what someone with struggles calls themselves or what method they use to solve their struggles?

Acad23 likes this.
  7. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I think what she's arguing is that labeling a person with a psychological disorder often leads to negative outcomes such as always thinking of oneself as "damaged" even though there is really no "germ" that needs to be eradicated to return to health.

To say one is addicted means that the central nervous system is using the chemical to operate and once that is no longer the case, the person is no longer an addict. If one chooses to label themselves an addict under this circumstance, then they'll always think of themselves as an addict no matter their behavior or their lack of drug ingestation. And she's saying that this is unnecessary.

I personally think similarly but there is no doubt one person will become addicted to something before another person. If one has a predisposition to an addiction its best to stay away from the stimulus but one is not addicted when they are not taking the stimulus.

PS: I'm focusing on the medical definition of addiction as separate from the psychological condition of dependence whereby the substance ingested is not used by the CNS to function yet the person may still experience what appears to be withdrawal symptoms when the stimulus is removed.

8. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Jetophile’s intention was well meant and I completely understand. A lot of people look at the word “addict” negatively. Trust me, when I tell a normal person that I don’t drink I unusually am either met with an “oh ok” or “oh why not?”. Tell a normal person I’m an addict and I swear they’ll start low key moving the kids further away from me and taking stock of where their valuables are.

I’ve tried to be a “just one drink, one cig, one bump.. etc” for most of my adult life. Everytime I’ve found myself in the full throes of disaster and self destruction. By every measure of the definition I suffer from addiction. I just refuse to wear it as a measure of shame. I’m here. There’s lots of beautiful people I once knew that didn’t make it. I’m open about my addiction for them. I’m proud of who I am today and I try to inspire people. I can’t do that if I hide my struggles

Jets81, LAJet and Acad23 like this.
  9. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I know you are not replying to me, but what's the harm in saying you are "prone to addiction" rather than saying you are an addict while you ingest no substance?

Jets81 likes this.
  10. jetophile

I know a lot of dead people who shouldn't be and I can back up anything and everything I say. Just because something is pervasive and widely accepted doesn't mean it's efficacious or saves lives the way it's presented. It doesn't. Not by any stretch.

People like Christopher Bathum are not the anomaly 'treatment centers' like Cliffside Malibu purport. WTF sitting in a hot tub and petting horses at $100K a clip has to do with quitting drinking and drugging, you tell me. Even look at that awful show 'Intervention'. The main reason that show exists besides rubbernecking at the scene of an accident is to shill rehab facilities. Speaking of accidents, it's no accident how zero alternatives to "treatment" are ever offered. Well, tons of people would be out of job if people were getting well all the time. And they do. Every day. Only those aren't the people you hear about because there's no money in it.

If anyone wants to know the only way there is to get clean from anything it's really very simple: without any ambivalence you have to want to quit more than want to continue. That's the answer. No-one needs to tell themselves that they're a powerless worm and sit in a room with a bunch of individuals who are just as sick and unhealthy as they are. I have yet to meet and I never will meet anyone who alters themselves to the point of dependence who was relatively happy and grounded before they went down that path. And I say relatively happy because happiness is relative. Drinking and drugging are a symptom of something else. Centered people by and large don't flush their lives down the toilet no matter how much they stand to lose.

Getting to the point of addiction starts out as a choice and it remains a choice until the same choice is made to quit. Threats, cajoling, "interventions", getting fired, oft times that doesn't deter people. Sometimes nothing does. I'm starting talks with my documentarian filmmaker cousin to rattle some cages. No-one wants to hear that getting well is a solo flight at heart. People die in rehab centers everyday and the list is miles long. Insurance companies pay out billions of dollars a year for what people can get for free in a church basement. It all has be burned to the ground, and it's going to be a beyond fortuitous task. Bloodletting was eventually discounted, so I have hope.

If I go any further it will branch out to the point that it will indeed derail the thread. Maybe I'll start a thread about it in the BS section sometime. It could save a life that doesn't need to be lost. That may sound like a grandiose claim. It isn't. Good luck to any friends or loved ones of yours who are suffering. It's a terrible way to live and a terrible thing to witness.

11. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Honestly asking, what’s the difference? It’s a word. You can call me probe to addiction, you can call me an addict. Neither offend me. I see your view as well because you’re seeing the word “addict” in a negative connotation, as if it denotes something is wrong with me. I don’t think something is wrong with me. In fact I think as addictions go we’re all predisposed to it just the same. I don’t think it’s hereditary, I think people who let their addiction spiral out of control are usually dealing with trauma. I’ve never met someone with unhealthy addictions that didn’t have some sort of trauma in their life. I’m fully aware my position isn’t popular, but I don’t think addiction is hereditary. I don’t think it’s in the genes. I think the trauma of living with or being raised by someone who’s suffering from their addiction perpetuates the cycle.

Calling myself an addict isn’t offensive or demeaning. It’s a reminder to me and all who are around me that I need to work harder to stay healthy.

Jets81 and IDFjet like this.
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

Start a new thread and I’m in. I was a pill addict for several years and lived the entire experience similar to @NJJets

bicketybam likes this.
  13. jetophile

Glad you're upright. I will take you up on that in the near future. There is light at the end of the tunnel and it's not a locomotive.

14. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I’d be in as well.

15. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

So is Max Mitchell abusing pain killers or no?

16. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I guess we can discuss in an "addiction" thread if that ever happens--my opinion is that there is a difference between an "addict" and one who was addicted and is no longer taking the substance. In the latter case the person has won a key battle and that is important information imo.

Negative connotations not-withstanding, its not wise to have a meth addict in ones house along with valuables, but it is ok to have them there if they are no longer addicted and are merely prone to addiction as everyone is to greater and lesser degrees as you said.

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The battle is never over. That's why

18. jetophile

Opiod abuse can cause blood clots so I guess that's why the conjecture went there? Don't know after all that, ha, but it opened up a dialogue on something important. I guess we'll find out one way or another soon enough.

19. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

My brother broke his ankle once and developed blood clots. I doubt that's why there was speculation. It was just typical gossip bs.

Glad this got moved. That thread was embarrassing.

20. Jonathan_Vilma

You’re just getting mad at the industrial pharmaceutical complex as a whole and taking it out at rehabilitation centers and different methods. Just like quitting on your own works for some people, dumping a bunch of money into a place with horses that teaches meditation works for others.

I vehemently disagree that they’re all bullshit. I know someone who went and has been clean since. I didn’t do anything but quit and endure the shitty two weeks of withdrawal and never looked back. And then I knew several people who unfortunately spiraled down the wrong path and others who passed away.

NJJets considers himself a lifelong addict because he knows he can’t have one drink or it’s a spiral. I can drink in moderation and know that I can’t ever touch drugs again including weed for the most part. I don’t think either of these concepts are some sort of manufactured situations by any industry.

Acad23 likes this.