Adam Gase Thread (Merged)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Sep 16, 2019.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

How is he going to push the ball downfield when Falk doesn't even have time to make a quick throw before at least two defenders are on top of him? Sorry, but that just doesn't make sense, and is not the answer. All that would succeed in doing is getting Falk injured.

2. NCJetsfan

Seriously? How is Joe Douglas supposed to fix this mess during the season? Sorry, but that's just totally dumb. Douglas isn't going anywhere (unless he gets fed up with Jets fans and working for the Johnsons), nor should he.

3. NCJetsfan

What? Sorry, but that is just flat out stupid. Fire Douglas before he even gets a FA and draft or a chance to hire his own HC? Yeah, I'm sure that would get us a really competent GM. Some of you guys should just stop following the Jets. You've lost your minds!

4. NCJetsfan

Yes it does. It makes TOTAL sense. Douglas is the most respected person the team has hired in any capacity since Parcells. Firing a GM before he gets to run a draft and FA or hire his own HC is mind-numbingly stupid!!!

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

The Kalil signing looks great!!!! Oh and bringing in Vedvik!

Ralebird and grkmanga31 like this.
  6. NCJetsfan

Sorry, Colorado, but firing Gase now would be the worst thing the Jets could do. No HC candidate worth a damn would come here, even with Douglas here, as there would be no job security whatsoever.

7. NCJetsfan

The Kalil signing was a desperation move trying to fix a hole without expending needed draft capital. Vedvik was very good with the Ravens. Douglas has a relationship with the Ravens as he used to work there. No GM is right all the time. The important thing is that he quickly moved on from Vedvik and had a big kicking competition.

It's waaaaaaaaaaay too early to be criticizing Douglas. Come on, guy. You've been one of the more level-headed guys here this season. Don't let all the others sway you.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I don't think either should be fired.

its pretty laughable though the statement he's the most respected person since Parcells, I mean, by what metric? lol

anyway, my point was that Douglas is only here because of Gase....

9. NCJetsfan

2/5 of the OL is new. That makes a big difference in timing and chemistry. That's compounded by a new system and the fact that the OL got almost no practice time together before the season started. With older players, their skills can erode quickly. Beacham might be better in a different blocking scheme, but it looks to me like his skills have fallen off a cliff.

Gase is ultimately responsible for the play of any unit on the team, but Frank Pollack and Dowell Loggains share some responsibility there, too. They are going with a zone-blocking scheme because that's what Bell knows and favors, and I think maybe Pollack as well, when last year I believe that they were running a man-to-man blocking scheme. That can easily account for the differences. Osemele is a better fit in a man-to-man scheme. He struggled in Oakland in a zone scheme. Kalil has been learning the offense. Under normal circumstances one probably wouldn't start Kalil until he got up to snuff, but perhaps Harrison looked so bad in practice that they thought they had no choice but to go with Kalil, and if the Kalil is going to build chemistry with the rest of his OL mates, then they need to play together.

10. NCJetsfan

You know as well as I that before Douglas was hired, there were many articles by different writers who spoke of how well respected Douglas is in NFL circles due to his pedigree of working his way up under Ozzie Newsome and then helping turn the Eagles into SB Champs.

11. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I guess I kind of just assumed with my post that everything looked like dogshit was the product on the field. That’s my fault for not being clear about that So i was just busting chops (kind of?) about Those two moves because they do look abysmal in hindsight, but I know we can’t truly grade Douglas on anything until he gets an entire offseason to see what he can do. Just like I don’t think it’s completely fair to smash & bash Gase for the first 3 weeks of 2019.

I really like that he (Douglas) believes in building the team from the inside out or so he says. You win upfront in this league and it makes everything else work.

NCJetsfan and CotcheryFan like this.
  12. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Time for you to change your name here to SQJetsfan because you continue to argue for the status quo.

13. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

With the small sample size of time on both Gase and Douglas its a lot easier to judge on how innovative a HC is with the play calling decisions/in game management imo

With a GM, it's way different as we need to wait for 2020 and see how Douglas does with his first real FA and Draft

Plus, to say we need to get rid of Douglas along with Gase is a bit ridiculous..like throwing out the baby with the bath water

We have had a discussion like this before ..The GM buys the groceries and the HC makes the meals. I hope JD does a better job shopping than Mac ..hehehe

NCJetsfan and GasedAndConfused like this.
  14. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

who was more successful then rex? he led us to back to back AFC champ games with a QB so bad he had to tell him to 1 read and throw it away because he couldn't be trusted. to think. sanchez had a good arm he was just as dumb QBwise as a bag of rocks. He was also a great recruiter, players wanted to play for rex and he was a players coach. the team never quit under rex like it did under bowles. Our defenses were always top 10 under him as well and mostly top 5. Rex had the bad luck of a shit GM, shit QB, and shit OCs. If we had given rex a little more help he might have got us to the SB. compare him to mangini, bowles, herm, groh, kotite, caroll, koslettt. that's all our coaches over the past 30 years. rex was the best. the 1 exception to that was parcells who unretired to coach the jets for a few years and even then rex was more successful but who knows what would have been if vinny T didn't blow out his Achilles that year opening game trying to recover a fumble.

15. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Rex was a loud mouth ass but his teams produced when they had talent. I wanted him gone at the end like most everyone. I do wonder if we made a mistake getting rid of Tannenbaum. Maybe we should have given him and Rex a chance to fix what they messed up. At least they had success. We've only been digging a hole since Tanny left - hopefully Douglas starts pulling us out instead of digging it deeper. We won't even know for a few years.

16. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

No, the mistake was hiring Idzik, whose latest position was in football administration for the Seahawks. Tanny and Rex should've been fired at the same time as both were responsible for the roster declining after 2010.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I agree they were responsible for the decline, I just wonder if we should have given them more time to fix the mess they made since they had proven the ability to work well together.

18. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Tanny's drafting after 2007 was bad. He gave away picks like candy and outside of Mo, I can't think of anyone he selected from 2008 to 2012 that made an impact for us. I'm not sure that would've changed had he been retained.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

We can agree to disagree, but imo saying Rex was more successful really doesn't mean anything when you're comparing him to the likes of Bruce Coslet, Pete Carroll, Kotite, Al Groh, Herm Edwards, Mangini, & Bowles. Out of that group, Mangini and Edwards were the only decent head coaches we had. It's kind of like discussing who was the worse GM, Idzik or Mac. They both sucked, and ever since Weeb left, most of the Jets' HCs and GMs have sucked balls. Rex inherited a great OL and solid veteran leaders. I believe Rex pushed for Tanny to draft Sanchez, or so I read a day or so ago. Rex hired those OCs. Rex advised that shit GM, and made some bad picks of his own. He put a ton of pressure on a rookie QB predicting a SB victory. He provided zero leadership. He was a child, not an adult. There was little or no discipline. When he dismantled the leadership and core of the team that that shit GM assembled and that went to those back-to-back AFC Champ games, the team fell apart and there was no leadership or discipline. Rex enjoyed the bump that players coaches always get when following a strict disciplinarian.

20. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

yup we've been downhill since firing MT and rex but MT has kind of destroyed miami so kind of happy he's gone. Regardless of being a loud mouth as you said rex got the team to produce and had more sucess then any of our other head coaches in the past 30 years which was my only point.