Adam Gase Thread (Merged)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Sep 16, 2019.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

If you pay attention to the money invested, which I think is the most telling signal of an ownership's commitment, the Jets have never paid a top 10 financial commitment to a coach in the Johnson (Woody or Chris) era. They've very rarely had a top 15 financial commitment to a coach, only briefly under Rex

You wanna win you gotta pay for it. Along with that the Jets analytics department is a joke and say what you want about analytics, believer or not, there are good teams investing a lot of money in it.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yep! They're the very epitome of "Penny-wise; pound-foolish". Maybe having been in London for a few years now Woody will understand that saying applies to money and not dieting.

NCJetsfan and REVISion like this.
  3. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Good point....we are so stupid in our money mgmt

maybe that’s the job of a team president or someone like that? Not sure it’s the GM but maybe it is...I haven’t been in an NFL front office so it’s not always clear to me what the specific roles are

but you’re right.
    Historically, we have so often been willing to throw stupid money at other teams free agents...all the way from Neil O Donnel to CJ Mosley...yet we don’t as readily break open the checkbook for our own talent, and when we have, it was to the wrong guys (Wilkerson instead of Richardson).

but you are correct with coaches...we go cheap and get what we pay for.

they wanted to go cheap on JD too but he wasn’t having it....

4. DefenseWinsChampionships

5. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

“Players can see through the fraudulent talk, you know,” Haley said. “You better be talking to them straight and you better back it up.”

Bell, whose Chiefs are 19.5-point favorites against the Jets on Sunday, saw through Gase’s prevarications. Many past and current Jets players do, too.

“Your best players… they better believe and trust that you’re maximizing their abilities,” Haley said.

“In Kansas City, what I’ve seen from those
    coaches is that they do that. They got a lot of mouths to feed, but they’ve been one of the better teams that utilize the different talents that they have. Andy Reid and the staff will understand and see what they have in Le’Veon and do the things necessary to let him help you.”

————-
    I always thought this same thing! Gase had no clue, and since he didn’t want him. Same with Darnold, and others. If you don’t fit the mold and not his guy, you have to go or languish in mediocrity and failure. He is not going to change his genius game plan for your unique skill set. Thus not setting you up for success!!!! So to not have to keep you, since he did not want in first day place. For example, He likes Gore cause he fits what a RB is in his mind. Now that is thinking inside the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5885 Sack exchange, Oct 30, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
    blackssmagic and SOJAZ like this.
  6. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

That's Gase is fearing for his job.....
    I think Gase decided after 5 years of being a HC that he just isn't a good play caller. He is now started to sing a different tune saying he is giving the play calling to Logans so he can be more involved in all phases of the game. He knows this is his last chance to be a HC so he's trying to prove to management he's the guy for the job. This scares me because if the jets show some signs of life, management may just give him another chance next year. You have to admit we showed some signs of life with Logans calling the plays:(. I worry more about the Jets keeping Gase than us drafting Lawrence. This team needs a total new CS, Lawrence, & some Devine intervention pronto! :eek:

#5886 BudJet, Nov 1, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

It’s Halloween! Scary stories. Lol. Today’s game may be scary as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. DefenseWinsChampionships

Yea. Right. The Jets showed life last week. A whole 4 yards of 2nd half offense. Wow. Some some way of really "showing life".

SOJAZ likes this.
  9. twown

twown Well-Known Member

When it comes to plays, coaching is 97% creating and honing effective ones, and then 3% choosing among them on Sunday. Teams with decent players and a well-crafted and well-practiced playbook can run plays picked out of a hat by a chimp and they'll consistently trounce bad teams and with weak plays being called by Bill Walsh.

SOJAZ likes this.
  10. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

The first half of the Bills game was real good for the offense , I thought. Even though they scored only 10 points there was something there that led me to believe there was some promise to look forward to for the 2nd half. I'm sure most will agree.

But the Bills made adjustments and came out guns ablazing to put more pressure on Sam.

Gase probably felt that there was no need open the 2nd half making any major changes. Unfortunately Sam and the OL couldn't overcome and make the correct reads to contain the Bills blitzing schemes. Gase has to be called out for not adjusting on the fly but Sam is equally to blame.

What I'm not sure of is if Sam was given the freedom to audible in these cases. If not then it's mostly on Gase.

The point I'm making is, if Gase can get off the play calling and pay attention to what is going on with the oppositions D and make adjustments , maybe this will show some positive results. We didn't see it in the 2nd half for sure. And this is what is so puzzling.

#5890 BomberJet, Nov 1, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
  11. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

Magic Mike is waiting for Gase to succumb to his same fate.

[​IMG]

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. I think play calling on Sunday can be the most important part. Of course a team needs talented players who can execute the plays. They need quality play design. But NFL defenses are as good at reading what offenses are going to do and finding tendencies as NFL offenses. Play calling is an art. It's not just a chimp pulling them out of the hat. It's not random. Specific situations needs specific-type plays designed for those situations. An effective play caller sets up the D, they lull them to sleep, and then strike for a big play. They keep opposing Ds off balance not knowing if the offense is going to run or pass, or who will have the ball. We've all seen what predictable boring and lousy play calling has done to our offense.

I think that most of Gase's plays are effective plays if one has the right talent to execute those plays. The Jets' problem is that they don't have the type/level of players that Gase's offense needs and Gase refuses to adapt his system. It's too complex. It doesn't seek to get the QB into a rhythm early. It doesn't help the QB with reading Ds. Then the real coup de gras is that his play calling is horrible and predictable.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  13. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Stained glass is an art also. But first you need a cathedral that doesn't fall over.

blackssmagic and Footballgod214 like this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

I completely disagree.

15. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

What else is he supposed to do?

Play a instrument as the ship be sinking?

Unfortunately for him the real problem isn't playcalling it's lack of talent.

I see Perriman is out again this week what a monstrous turd that dude has turned out to be. And Crowder just unbelievable.

But hey I think he signed off on not bringing back the #1 wr/team ace Robby Anderson.

He made his bed now lie in it.

blackssmagic and Red Menace like this.
  16. NCJetsfan

To be clear, I'm not saying that they are effective plays with the Jets (because they're not), only that in a vacuum, with the right personnel, they could be. Of course plays for 3rd down that have the WRs running routes short of the sticks are not effective plays.

17. ColoradoContrails

Well I'm not sure what you're basing your assumption on then. His offenses have consistently been among the worst except when he had Manning who was changing every play at the LOS. It's commendable that you're trying to be "fair and balanced" in your assessment, but Gase has done nothing to warrant that IMO.

HomeoftheJets and blackssmagic like this.
  18. twown

twown Well-Known Member

From the ESPN piece in Homeboy's new thread:

"The Jets are ranked 32nd in pass-block win rate and 26th in run-block win rate, per NFL Next Gen Stats, which uses tracking devices to gather data."

Gase no doubt bears a great deal of responsibility for the team being terrible, but I will never understand how play-calling can be evaluated under these circumstances. It's like choosing from a collection of piano jingles, but half the keys are out of tune.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  19. ColoradoContrails

True, but how do you discount the role Gase plays in that? Isn't he the guy who designs the plays and the blocking schemes? How do you account for former OL going elsewhere and playing much better than they did here?

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

Perhaps you're right. I just know that Gase's plays have worked for us and for Miami. We've scored TDs and had big gains, even with our personnel that doesn't fit. So the plays themselves must be at least ok and acceptable NFL plays. The thing that makes them unsuccessful is when they're called and the fact that we don't have the necessary personnel to make them work all the time. Some of them may never work regardless of personnel, but some have worked, so imo that means that his plays are at least decent, it's just his refusal to adapt them to his personnel, and how/when he calls them that makes them seem bad.