Adam Gase Thread (Merged)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

well this is beyond ridiculous....the boss goes to his staff and asks who is the best guy to call the plays...and they say You, Boss!!

you can’t make this shit up

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

This all but absolves Gase of his role in all this. He knew what he was getting into, and if he didn't that makes him dumb as well as arrogant. But he he thought he was smart enough to overcome the dumpster fire the Jets clearly were (and thanks to him still are). This by no means minimizes Macc's role in this debacle, nor the overarching role of the Johnsons who bear ultimate responsibility. And the Johnson's role cannot be emphasized enough. especially since they continue to keep the "Genius" as HC as the team gets worse each day.

3. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

Belichick presents an interesting question. As a Jets fan, I despise the guy, but I have to give the devil his due. Today, "genius" is a label thrown around a lot and bestowed on anyone who is really good at his/her job, but I think it should be reserved for the true innovators.

Is Belichick a true innovator? Can you think of anything he did that hasn't been done in the past (other than developing new ways of cheating)? I can't, and that's why I didn't name him as a genius. Is there a patented Belichick defense or a Belichick offense? No, his strength is seeing ways to maximize the strengths and minimizing the weaknesses of the players he has. He also seems to know how to select players who will stay within their lanes and "do your job." His drafts aren't great, but he always seems to find players who win. Finally, he seems to teach his players well. Do you think the Patriots would have stood around staring at an on-side kick like it was a live grenade, the way Falcons did? If Brady was still playing for Belichick, is there any chance he would have forgotten what down it was?

Note that Adam Gase is the antithesis of every positive quality I mentioned above.

Another interesting question: I see a lot of Parcells in Belichick, and if Parcells didn't have that wanderlust that caused him to move around, might he have been as successful as Belichick?

#5643 Since1969, Oct 15, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
  4. ColoradoContrails

The one part I disagree on is that I think his genius lies in what you describe: "...seeing ways to maximize the strengths and minimizing the weaknesses of the players he has. He also seems to know how to select players who will stay within their lanes and "do your job." His drafts aren't great, but he always seems to find players who win. Finally, he seems to teach his players well." Maybe that's not technically "genius", but he's refined it beyond what most coaches - in any sport I've followed - have. John Wooden, Red Auerbach, Vince Lombardi, and yes, Weeb Ewbank, as well as Parcells, all come to mind, and all were "geniuses", that is, head and shoulder above their peers.

As to whether Parcells, if he stayed in one place, would've been as successful as Belichick, probably, but I would also say that he WAS as successful but just in a different way. By moving around and building different teams into winners, I think that takes a special talent, at least as special as what Belichick has.

5. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

they are basically trying to tell you due to the lack of skill position guys being healthy that it’s not Gase’s fault. It’s just “bad luck”. And it’s not his play calls but yeah guys aren’t getting open so why change that. Perriman and Mims are close to returning so they feel the offense may change. Just what I gathered from him still calling plays.

6. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

If you tell an arrogant disgrase like this fuk that you are better he will make your life miserable and then fire you. All these assistants have to be getting their resumes ready right now--they just don't want to be fired.

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

nobody gets 3 chances. Gase will never be a head coach again no matter what happens with his play calling this season.

I can actually see his position here. He's looking at the last 10 games of his NFL head coaching career ever. I'd want to go down swinging too instead of yielding to Jim Bob Cooter, for example, the next best option who's not exactly a genius either anyway

NYJetsO12 and Jets79 like this.
  8. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Lol...sorry I just can’t take anyone named “Jim Bob” seriously

9. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Actually, I think it was more like him saying "Guys, I'm thinking of letting Dowell call some plays this week..." and they all threatened to walk out.

Jets79 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

Yeah, I can imagine the conversation went like this:

Gase: "Hey guys I'm thinking of turning over playcalling duties to Patten, whadya think?"
    Staff: ...crickets...
    Gase: Okay! Sorry Patten, er I mean Dowell, I guess everyone likes what I'm doing so I'll keep doing it".

Noam and Ralebird like this.
  11. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I think having Dowell Loggains call the plays would seem to fit this season perfectly. In fact why not just let Dowell coach the team and let Mr. Rich as F take it easy in the locker room. There might be some amusement value in getting to watch Dowell coach the team and pace the sidelines. It can't be any worse than where we are now. With Mr. R as F's impending demise this will likely be Dowell's last chance ever to be an OC or call the plays. I am all for having a Dowell bobblehead day and giving him the keys to the team. I can almost guarantee it would be the highlight of the season.

#5651 Noam, Oct 15, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

13. DefenseWinsChampionships

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He's still making the wrong choice. He was hired to be the head coach of the Jets. One of the many things that have worked against him since he took the role is that he's actually a glorified offensive coordinator who is much too attentive to the details on that side of the ball come game time.

If he had a track record of making the offense better by calling plays then maybe he should be doing that but he clearly does not have that. He and the Jets would be much better off if he stepped back and started doing the bigger job he was hired to do. If he doesn't believe that he can make improvements in the Jets on game day by doing that, well he never should have gotten the job in the first place.

cval likes this.
  16. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Remember that a phone call from Peyton Manning likely sealed the deal.

17. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Rumor has it Gase is being recruited by the AFL. The Afghan Football League.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  18. ColoradoContrails

Here's a thought:

Why doesn't Gase just resign? Maybe that's what ball-less CJ is waiting for so he doesn't have to lose face after having praised Gase a couple of weeks ago. Gase quitting would solve that. And it's not like it would impact his future ability to get another HCing job...that ship has sailed. He will NEVER be an NFL HC again, or if he's considered for one it'll be years down the road and he can claim that he was "much different then".

C'mon Adam! Do the right thing! Resign! You'll be helping the Jets so much more than anything you've done so far, or will ever do.

NYJetsO12, Jets79 and JetsNation06 like this.
  19. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Thank you....

FinnishJET likes this.
  20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member