Adam Gase Thread (Merged)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Who said Mehta hates Gase? Of course his opinions are biased, that's what opinions are. If his job is giving opinions why is it unprofessional for him to give opinions?

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm confused by your first couple of sentences. I don't understand what you're trying to say. Knowing you pretty well, I think I know what you're trying to say, but what's there actually looks like the opposite of what I would expect you to say. From "Since you referenced a cooking show,..." it's crystal clear, and I agree with the rest. It's just the first two sentences that puzzle me. I don't understand how not having any overall strategy is how good coaches build a winning team. Please elucidate. Thanks.

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Sam still has to do more to excel and that's making this offense his from the presnap. Make the checks to get out of bad situations.

I don't think the system itself is an issue, but the situation play calling can get much better.

SOJAZ and Red Menace like this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

But is that what we should expect or accept from a HC? A HC, BTW< who says he's only focused on offense, the defense is left to G. Williams. So a HC who only has one third of the team to worry about, can't figure out how to develop better game plans, use his actual personnel better, and win games that are winnable!

Yes, Sam, and an improved roster will cover up much of Gase's shortcomings, but they're still shortcomings and will hold this team back from what it could be.

rammagen, Metstrife, SOJAZ and 2 others like this.
  5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Pretty sound business plan then.

LAJet likes this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

What I was trying to say is that there are things a HC does in the short term when he can't really change personnel - in that case, you figure what the players you actually have available can do well and you design game plans and plays to maximize that. In some cases you might actually deviate from what you really want to do in the long term. For example, let's say you like use your RBs as receivers because they have good hands, but both of them get hurt. A good HC would come up with alternative plays to compensate, even though this isn't what he wants to do in the long run with both RBs healthy. OTOH, he'll still retain an overall philosophy for what he wants to do, and will convey to the GM what types of players best fit his philosophy. That said, it's the GM's philosophy that takes precedence, although hopefully he and the HC agree on this. If they don't either the HC has to change or he goes away.

What I've seen from Gase is an almost stubborn - or perhaps more egotistical - mindset, trying to force his way regardless of the player's capabilities. If this doesn't change, he will forever be a failure.

Does that clarify things?

Ralebird, NYJetsO12, SOJAZ and 2 others like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, thanks!

8. 101GangGreen101

Its what great QBs do. I don't think Gase's preparation is bad ... remember how many times we've scored on the first drive? That's all Gase. You would be surprised how much input Mahomes has.

9. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This highlights one of the biggest issues with Gase. When he has a week to design 15 plays he’s great. When the defense adjusts and he has to start playing chess, he’s abysmal. And some of the things he’s doing are so alarming. See: the Bengals game, and barely using the run against the worst run D in the league.

That hasn’t changed in years. When someone does something for so long, at some point you just have to accept that’s what they are.

rammagen, Metstrife, SOJAZ and 2 others like this.
  10. 101GangGreen101

Our receivers absolutely failed Darnold that day too, gotta remember that, but again QBs can check out of pass plays and run plays. I agree, Gase should make adjustments when needed, but it's on him and Sam to communicate together. This is what Sam wanted, Gase was his choice.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

It's not like Darnold had any REAL choice. He didn't conduct the interviews, invite candidates to come in, or sign the contract. He simply did what any non-idiot player would do: endorse the new HC because in fact you don't have any real choice.

And sure, Sam can check out of any play called, but isn't he supposed to be able to rely on the HC - who has access to video of what's going on in the game - to be sending in plays that should have a good chance of working? And remember, he was a 2nd year QB, not a 10 year veteran with a winning track record/ The shitty play calling is all on Gase, injuries and shitty personnel regardless.

12. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This is kinda my point when I say boy, Gase must be the unluckiest coach in NFL history. If it's not the injuries it's the talent, if it's not the talent it's the QB changing his plays. At some point Gase has to be held accountable for things he's been fucking up for half a decade.

rammagen, ColoradoContrails and SOJAZ like this.
  13. 101GangGreen101

Darnold had a choice, I am sorry CC but this is hogwash. You always have a choice as a franchise QB, if you don't like what you hear in the interview you tell the owner. If the GM wants your input, they want the truth.

14. 101GangGreen101

Personally, if we didn't have as many injuries, we would be in the playoffs. Talent is somewhat an issue, but they still got to 7 wins. The system is complicated, it will take time to adjust.

15. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Sam had just finished his rookie year, I doubt he had enough clout to do that. Even Aaron Rodgers can't stop his team from screwing him over.

16. 101GangGreen101

Packers do things like this for a living.

17. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

When I hear Gase talk, he sounds really smart. He knows what he is talking about football-wise. You can tell he is intelligent. He is not great with relating to players or talking to the media, but I don't mind that as long as he produces. Starting (1-7), I was fine with the Jets firing him mid-season even with injuries as an excuse. They did not, the Jets finished the season going (6-2), so Gase will be here for a long time. As for demanding a Super Bowl caliber Head Coach, every fan wants that. There are not many Andy Reids, Doug Pedersons, etc. out there. We will see how Matt Rhule does in Carolina. If he turns them around and gets them back to the Super Bowl, while Gase continues to struggle, then it will be clear the Jets made a mistake. Kliff Kingsbury in Arizona and Mike McCarthy in Dallas too.

18. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I wasn't a fan of McCarthy but how happy was he when the Packers drafted Jordan Love after the Cowboys got Lamb.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  19. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Haha yeah, Rodgers can't be happy with that. It is a bummer they don't play in 2020. Maybe the playoffs? That would be a good one!

20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

he obviously hates Gase, come on now

it was unprofessional for Mehta to write a negative hit job on Gase and then not show up for Gase’s press conference the next day. Multiple journalists with years of experience even commented on that.

#4100 BrowningNagle, Apr 30, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2020