Adam Gase Thread (Merged)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

You do realize Tom Brady has stats? Unbelievably, historically good, incredible stats. Yet even you only see his wins as defining him. You at least get that.

Yes we went 1 and 4 down the stretch last year. Darnold had nice numbers which were padded against a 4 and 9 Green Bay team that mailed in the season. In the last game against NE we put up 3.

He clearly was shaky early in the season. He was sick and learning a new system. He clearly pulled himself together and the team started winning.

Br4d likes this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

There's a difference between playing to your player's strengths, and not having any overall strategy. The former is what any good coach will do in the short term, based upon the players he has on his roster; the latter is what any good coach will do to build a winning team. Since you referenced a cooking show, let me muse this analogy: you don't come into the kitchen and see hamburger in the refrigerator and then try to make steak Diane. You work with what you've got. Gase didn't do that. It was obvious that the OL couldn't sustain blocks, but rather than switch to a different blocking scheme, or call plays that didn't require lengthy blocking assignments, Gase continued to call play after play that blew up almost as soon as the ball was snapped. How long did it take for him to use Sam's ability to create plays on the fly before he had him rolling out on a regular basis? Maybe if Gase had actually played his proposed starting OL together in P.S. he might've seen the problems sooner, but he failed to do even that basic thing. Gase even admitted at the end of the season that he misused Bell - why did it take an entire season for him to realize this?

Come on! I understand that we all desperately want to have a HC who we can believe in and who can take this team to a SB and win it, and as long as Gase is the HC here, I'll join you all in hoping for that too, but the odds of that happening are remote. Step back away from the emotion of fan support and assess Gase with logical eyes. The denial of those supporting Gase runs deep.

And yes, the Pats and Bills both have good overall plans for their teams, something I've been calling for here for years, and now Douglas seems to have one that will produce success, and I'm thrilled. Now we'll see if Gase can deliver, and if he can't, he needs to go ASAP and not waste any more of our time.

Noam, NYJetsO12 and SOJAZ like this.
  3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

We have been through a lot the last decade, but I think that has made people a little too negative. Even myself. I don't think fans understand the Jets' plan. I am pretty sure Douglas came here to have Gase as his coach. Another (7-9) season would get him Year 3. The Jets have no excuse not to win that many games. Think of all the additions. Stronger O-line, new WR's, hopefully a healthy Darnold, Mosley, Williamson, Herndon, etc. It would take a colossal failure for Gase to be fired and I just don't see that happening. More likely they finish somewhere around (7-9) to (9-7) and he returns in 2021. So you think it is a certainty he is gone, I would say it is a near certainty he returns.

Jake likes this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

And I always respect your opinion, even if like here we disagree.

First, when have we jerked the organization around after one year? Even Kotite got two! It's poor judgment and decision making to keep riding a horse that can't win. How many horses that finish out of the money in the Kentucky Derby are then entered in the other two Triple Crown races? Most aren't because their owners rightfully decide it's not worth it. Even with Gase, he's getting his second year - although I still maintain that was a mistake - so if he again fails to deliver a competitive team on the field, firing him still wouldn't be "jerking the organization around after one year".

I never said that losing Darnold for 3 games wasn't a justifiable reason for struggling, but it was how terrible they looked. Who decided who the backup QBs would be? Did Gase not have major input, if not complete input, into that? And why would he not use a different game plan and play calling when he didn't have Darnold? And even when Sam returned, they still sucked, with the offense looking inept and Gase having no clue how to make it better. They were completely unprepared to play the Dolphins and Bengals and lost to two teams they should have beaten.

I do fully agree with your last statement, that Gase will have no excuses this year, but I';m sure some here will find ways to cover for him anyway.

NYJetsO12 and SOJAZ like this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

Sadly I agree that if as long as the Jets win 7 games, Gase stays. However, given the improved roster, and hopefully Sams' progression that they could 8-8 or 9-7 (or is this the year of 17 games?), in which case Gase will not only stay, but might even be extended, and I will go on record as saying that would be a huge mistake, as bad as extending Bowles even though he never won anything.

When will Jets fans - and more importantly ownership - set their sights high enough to demand a SB-caliber HC?

The Dark Knight and NYJetsO12 like this.
  6. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Why does Mehta hate Gase? His opinions are very biased and unprofessional.

Jake likes this.
  7. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

I respect your opinion but i think this is one of those where i see something half full and you see it half empty

I think he saw talent in Sam and JD, and JD believes in those guys too (or he would have waited for a better opportunity)

I think the odds are high we'll see significant growth

i also think he will he held accountable

8. rammagen

rammagen Well-Known Member

LOL good on...I was in with the Vietnam vets in 80s so I am partial to them......there is no cap on coaches either just on players

#4068 rammagen, Apr 29, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    Biggs likes this.
  9. rammagen

Not true as a matter of fact I call this out because most of the people who are complaining are complaining directly about the offensive gurus lack of production in 4 yrs as a head coach. And quite a few are remembering we lost to two teams that were tanking how do excuse those performances and try to give an honest opinion, how do you rule out that the offense what this coach was hired to coach directly was a complete an utter failure not just this yr but the previous 3 yrs as well. A bottom 5 offense by a coach who is supposed to be an offensive guru is not now or ever acceptable anyone whose is accepting that performance I hope you dont run businesses because if you do and you accept that type of performance you will go out of business very quickly, notice i say 4 yrs running so this is not about patience at this point with his coaching career this is about delivering on what you are paid to do

10. rammagen

Ask him.......seriously tweet him and ask maybe he will answer

11. rammagen

I can just laugh at this because you are completely discounting his part in the miami issues, note most of us state this clearly we dont care if he is an ahole but if you are an offesnive coach and your performance for 4 yrs running is bottom 5 you are not a good coach, no excuses he has a big part to play. IMHO he should have never been hired not because he was fired from miami but because his offense finished n the bottom of the league and guess what last yr he matched that mark. When does he improve as a coach and deliver on coaching players and putting them into position to succeed?
    Dont get mad because people who call gase as being failure are using facts like his bottom ranked offense or his lack of in-game judgement as a basis for for an argument, try using facts to counter point it. Until gase posts a winning season he is what his record says he is a loosing coach with a sub 500 winning percentage and an offensive guru that produces some of the the worst offense in 4 yrs running. Those are facts until he actually produces the arguments where call people gase haters is not a factual statement because we all want to win as fans. I keep saying this we dont care if gase is an ahole we just want to win and have an offense that is better, no excuses on injuries or anything else, he took the job produce! his failures in Miami are based on not producing and he has not done anything to convince most people who look at facts to convince anyone of anything else

ColoradoContrails and SOJAZ like this.
  12. mattyd99

mattyd99 Well-Known Member

Macc was his guy and Gase ran him out of town, rightfully so.

And Mehta is unprofessional in every aspect, I usually don't read his articles.

hornblower likes this.
  13. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Your argument boils down to wins and losses determining the effectiveness (or growth) of the QB, as if the QB is solely responsible for the W and L.
    I can't get behind that argument, as there's just way too many factors that go into wins and losses.

It lacks any substance as to how Gase specifically has aided in Darnold's progression.

I've given some examples as to how Gase has not aided in Darnold's development.
    Darnold finished the last quarter of his rookie season very strong, which didn't carry over to 2020 like we had hoped.

The Gase specific involvement being complete lack of adjustments, Ie, the Cover zero blitz embarrassingly leading to 'ghosts' against NE, scoring no TD's against a winless Bengal team in December, etc..

There's also the lack of effectively using personnel, which ties into lack of adjustments, ie sticking with 11 personnel almost exclusively, not sending Bell or Montgomery on pass patterns, not leaving in an extra pass protector, etc..

And that's not even getting into the play calling, or any issues I have with Gase beyond Darnold's development.

14. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

If the Jets were a little more healthier they were probably right in the thick of the playoff race last year. A healthy Sam taking control of this offense could offset questionable play calling by Gase. Improved offensive line and a healthy team could get this team to where it needs to be, the playoffs.

15. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Joe Namath had arguably his worst season in 3 years in 68. It was also his first all pro year. We went 11 and 3 and won the SB. QB's impact wins and losses in lots of ways. They are the leader of the team. Stats in losses are often much better than stats in wins. You obviously know that. I'm not a believer in QB stats in meaningless games that are shoot out losses. Sams numbers this year on a team arguably worse offensively than last year were cumulatively better. The team had a 7 and 6 record with him starting, better. I'm pretty excited about Sam behind a better OL with more weapons. I'm also excited to see him in year 2 in the same system, healthy.

You may be right but it doesn't matter. I'm rooting for the Jets. I hope Gase is really smart, innovative and gets better. I hope we finally have a GM/HC on the same page along with a QB who trust the coaches and continues to grow. If it doesn't happen, will make a change rinse, repeat. I'm pretty happy Gase, under terrible circumstances held the team together. Sam was clearly in a bad spot and he got better. We just had what looks like, still to be determined, an excellent draft. I like the vibe and direction. It could all turn to shit but until it happens, I'm on board. You aren't. It's all good. Gase and Douglas are my guys until they prove they aren't up to it.

16. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I think Sam with mono, a brutal rash of injuries, poor O-line play, and a subpar HC all led to the bad 2019 campaign.

Hopefully the first 3 will not be an issue again.
    But I'm not so sure the HC won't still hinder the ultimate progress of this team.

For better or worse, we are stuck with Johnson's decision for at least this year tho.

If the team puts together a winning season, playoffs or not, I'd see that as a big step in right direction.
    If we have another losing season, or Darnold does not progress yet again, we gotta pull the plug on Gase imo..

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

The only thing I will add is this, it was well known that after the first round of interviews with potential HC, Jets brass were not impressed with any of them including Gase.

It was the call that Peyton made to them that pushed them to hire him, Jets never called Manning, he initiated the call.

If that call doesn’t happen Gase might not be the Jets HC.

#4077 Red Menace, Apr 29, 2020
  18. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Thank you...well thought-out response.

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Mehta benefits from instability on the Jets and goes out of his way to try to present that paradigm to his followers. That's how he differentiates his content from the professional crowd.

The tri-state area is an enormous media market and to survive in an era of newsroom cost-cutting you have to have a brand and a conviction to maintain that brand at all costs.

The worst thing that could happen to Mehta would be a Jets Super Bowl win. His entire schtick would go up in smoke in that situation and he might very well find himself out of a job as his followers writhed in their discontent over the Jets success.

hornblower and Red Menace like this.
  20. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

:confused:
    Just so you know , Jetophile and I will be breaking out the Baked Alaska when our HC miraculously takes us to AFC Championship...ahahahah:confused:

#4080 NYJetsO12, Apr 29, 2020
    Br4d likes this.