Adam Gase Thread (Merged)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

You left out the part that the guy who has the same agent as Bell is also a close friend of Bell. That's what you do.

You're still deflecting by looking for something new out of an article that no one, especially me, claimed had new information. That's what you do.

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

No one left anything out. MJD and Bell obviously speak and are friends. I'm not sure why I need to reiterate that. It says it right there in the article. And you do not believe that the opinion of a close friend and former NFL player would defend the player who had his worst season as a pro?

Regardless. More semantics. Less football. That's what you do.

3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

The word you want is not "your."

But yes, I'm questioning your reading comprehension because nowhere in the article you linked does it say there is no issue. Those are your words of your interpretation. Having been published only yesterday, nothing Bell is quoted as saying now was in the public domain when you posted the article quoting Bell's friend's inside information.

If all these things upon which we differ on the meaning are my perogative (sic) why is it that you insist on taking such an issue with them and why do you continue to change the argument to what you want it to be (like old news)? Your reference to his contract dispute is a perfect example; I will not engage in discussing that just because you want to in order to distract from the subject at hand. We probably agree that he has a unique way of conducting business but does anyone believe he would benefit by suggesting things are not okay with his boss instead of letting sleeping dogs lie?

Who says "they're both going to agree to work together without issue," you made that up as well.

And the final paragraph is a summation of the article and its theme reflected in common sense by anyone with any kind of experience in any kind of business. Call it speculation if that makes you feel better.

#3903 Ralebird, Feb 5, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  4. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

Please stop fighting. Thank you.

azhar80, jilozzo and Ralebird like this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Finally had some time to look at these (and the tape of him on the Steelers). My impressions:

1. Overall I don't see much, if any, drop off in his speed, cutting and power. There MIGHT be some drop off in recognizing some holes and lanes, but these were infrequent from what I saw.
    2. Darnold badly telegraphs his handoffs and screen passes. One of the things Sam needs to improve is his "sleight of hand".
    3. Almost every time Bell was targeted there were at least 4 or 5 guys within tackling range of him. Hint to Gase: If a guy is drawing that much attention it might be a good idea to start using him as a decoy.
    4. The OL sucks.
    5. In the Browns game in particular most of the passes (all?) were behind the LOS. Yeah, it was Siemien and Falk at QB, but still, predictable much?
    6. In the Steelers tape Bell looked bigger and really not as quick. It may be that he dropped weight/muscle since he was there and isn't quite as able to break tackles as he was then.

Anyone who watches these videos and says Bell is washed up doesn't know what they're talking about.

Thanks for the film.

6. Jonathan_Vilma

The point wasn't to prove that Bell is washed up. The point was to prove that he was used the same exact way in Pittsburgh and received the ball in different variations here as he did in Pittsburgh.

You need to get the ball to other players that can make use of it if you use Bell as a decoy and have time in the pocket to get the ball to said players.

I thought the same thing when watching it and thought I was a bit too harsh on my Bell is washed up theory. However, I also thought to myself WOW look at that space he has. He had three seconds behind the LOS to choose a hole in Pittsburgh. And he had no one around him at all when he caught checkdowns. And he really did a lot with it. But maybe he did benefit a ton from what was around him.

I think you're right on Darnold. Part of the reason in the second half of the season was playing with a soft cast in his non throwing hand so he could only really use one hand to hand the ball off.

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well I disagree with your conclusion that he was used "the exact same way". Yes, used in a similar way, but I don't think he was used situationally the same way. It's hard to tell from the videos, but you can see some of what I mean by noting how he was given the ball to run in situations that were obvious running plays, or screens that were obvious screens, and then adding to that the telegraphing of plays by the QBs. That said, as the only legitimate threat, he was always going to draw the most attention by the defense, hence my suggestion that he should've been used more in decoy roles. I don't think you need a lot more time to do that - it's not like I'm suggesting they use "razzle dazzle" plays. How about fake the swing pass to Bell, then throw the opposite direction? Use mutli-back sets and fake the hand off to Bell and give it to the other RB. I think there were lots of ways this could've been accomplished, but I think Gase's "pass first mentality" kept him from seeing this.

The cast probably did inhibit Sam's ability to finesse the ball, but he still needs to improve this area of his game.

8. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

woohoo.....now take it to the spankin new politics thread!! LOL

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

I guess I don't understand how you can watch those videos and come to the conclusion that the useage of the player was that much different. He excelled in plays revolving around the inside zone concept and pulling guards. We did both of those things here. It's not like we lined him up 9 yards back and tried to jam him into the line Adrian Peterson style.

His receiving useage was slightly down. But it was nothing wild. He caught 19 less balls than his career high. 1 and change receptions less per game.

He looked a lot better in Pittsburgh because he had a lot more space to operate in both facets of the game. There wasn't any special useage. A lot of his highlights are checkdowns where he has 5 yards ahead of him without a defender in sight.

I think where his receiving could be utilized better is in the red zone for sure. We unfortunately didn't have tons of red zone trips this year. He was also really good at creating space with Roethlisberger when plays broke down. He and Darnold unfortunately didn't develop that chemistry this year.

We'll agree to disagree though.

azhar80, 101GangGreen101 and Jake like this.
  10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Defenses simply did not respect the middle of the field. Chris Herndon if he were healthy probably would've opened up a lot for more Bell. That's a lot of stress on linebackers and safeties.

MoWilkBeast, FJF and azhar80 like this.
  11. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

I stand by my stupid comment last year that the worst thing a “patient” back can have, is a bad O-Line.

It magnifies (fairly or not) the slow developing plays. And a slow developing play, with no Deep threat, no elite QB, bad OLine, just looks like total dog shit.

I think the reason Bell looked 3 steps slow this year was because of these 10 things

Bad offensive strategy
    Bad offensive line
    Bad understanding of Bells strengths
    Sub Average QB
    No alternate weapons or threats
    Bad play design
    Full year off from RB duties
    Age of RB
    Case of secured bag
    SOJ curse

Fuck Bell
    Nice guy, good kid, bad rapper, bad hair, nice personality, but he is NOT worth it. Sorry

this team is so bad, we would be fine with JAGs at RB for the rebuild

If we could dump him, it would be great.

azhar80 likes this.
  12. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I'm putting this here since I think it is a Gase situation. That being said I definitely think it is him and someone else in the organization. Love the one GM comment. "That's a Jets thing to do."

I just question why I keep rooting for this team. No joy that last ten years and they just keep making negative news. We'll never experience what the Chiefs and their fans experienced. I'm starting to believe it.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/...yhpiiq-story.html#nt=tertiarynavbar&nt=ticker

jilozzo likes this.
  13. 101GangGreen101

So 3 of the 10 reasons are related to Bell and I doubt his age has anything to do with it. Dude played hard every game. So maybe 1 of those reasons was related to Bell having a bad year, rest was on crappy personnel.

Jets were at the bottom of the league in terms of outside runs, no real imagination or creativity in the run calls. Saying Fuck Bell is pretty petty tbh. Also doesn't make sense.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

This is a cj issue. Gase doesn’t make these calls.

NYJFOREVER and Jake like this.
  15. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I agree. To me this situation seems bigger than Gase. Connect the dots it would Christopher Johnson or someone just below him. I follow the Jets and Mets really closely. Weird things happen with these two teams. Rarely hear anything about other teams. Every once in awhile. With the Jets and Mets it's non stop.

16. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

At this point our fans are probably blaming the Coronavirus on Gase.

17. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Gase could cough coronavirus germs all over a yawning child and some people here would just say "WELL WHAT'S HE SUPPOSED TO DO HOLD IT IN?!?!"

ColoradoContrails and Ralebird like this.
  18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

not true, he didn't play hard every game. 1 game he missed and went bowling instead.

bottom of the league in outside runs as they should be. They had horrendous tackles and slow running backs. That's not conducive to an outside running game.

19. 101GangGreen101

lmao so because he was bowling after he was feeling better and the coaches decided to let him recover he didn't play hard? CMON MAN. Dude had more broken tackles due to a poor offensive line then I can count. You have to keep the defense honest, if all you do is run up the damn middle, the film will show that and tendencies will be exposed via playcalling.

They may have had horrendous tackles, but they had even shittier guard play.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Meh, don’t believe everything you read in the daily news