Adam Gase Thread (Merged)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Sep 16, 2019.

1. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Yes if anyone would know the truth behind it you would think Douglas does. Somehow I doubt its completely truth nor do I think its completely false. Fox may have had some questions on Gase's arrogance, but you don't hire someone if you don't want him. It wouldn't make any sense. Maybe Fox had other candidates he liked better but Vitt swayed him.

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don't know why everyone's so upset if a football coach is a dickhead. The nice guy act only lasts so long if you're not a wizard of an X's and O's guy (i.e. Andy Reid).

Mike Zimmer seems like a gigantic prick and he's a great football coach. Listen to his press conferences.

The only really nice guy approach that's survived in this league for a long time is Pete Carroll.

This is a sport of aggression.

3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The issue isn't about being a dickhead...as long as he gets his players to play their best and he wins. I don't see Gase is doing that.

4. Jonathan_Vilma

You don't? How many wins should we have had this year, given the injury circumstances?

Don't forget that our top two quarterbacks were down for three games too.

FJF and Acad23 like this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

I believe we could've had 2-3 more wins, but it's not just the wins, it's HOW they've lost.

The issue is that Gase isn't a good HC and he's a dickhead.

alleycat9, macbk and BacktoQueens like this.
  6. J-Raw24

I'll agree with that. But I have not seen Jets players talk bad about him yet. The post @Jonathan_Vilma was replying to was about John Fox saying he didn't want Gase because he's arrogant. @Jonathan_Vilma will tell you I am as much against Gase being here as anyone.

But again I think the tweet or whatever by Mehta is only a half truth. I think using it was a reason is ridiculous. If I see anything about Gase and his players having issues that woild add another reason. This to me is a non issue.

Fox most likely had other candidates that he thought were better. Vitt talked him into Gase. I'm sure it's happened before in the NFL. Honestly not a big deal.

7. ColoradoContrails

I'm not endorsing what Mehta said. I'm using my own opinion of Gase. Mehta's a dumbass.

As to players not talking bad about him, even if they were unhappy, most wouldn't say publicly. But what about all the "injuries"? You don't think that speaks to that?

8. J-Raw24

I have questions about his attitude toward his players, his play calling, and his talent evaluation. I am not a Gase fan at all. But at this point we are stuck with him at least for the start of next year. We have the chance to see if he can become a good coach, which I doubt, but we need proof.

If his players start coming out against him that tells us about that. If the play calling is still horrible next year, we check a box. If he's unable to put the players in the best spot for him to succeed, another box. But there is no way he gets fired until at least halfway through next year.

As much as I think its a total waste of 2 years of Sam's time, I wouldn't fire any coach I thought could work after 1 year. I don't expect the Johnsons to.

9. Jonathan_Vilma

So the injuries are the head coaches fault?

10. J-Raw24

Injuries are due to it being an aggressive sport and also not training properly and coaches allowing players to play hurt. Coach has some to do with but again Aggressive sport.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

The training staff hasn't changed in a long time. The only argument can be made is CJ Mosely may or may not have been rushed back. Outside of that it sounds like Gase yields to the training staff.

We've been pretty lucky with catastrophic injury plagued seasons since 2005. As sad as it is, we were kind of due for one of these.

MoWilkBeast, FJF and J-Raw24 like this.
  12. J-Raw24

Gase had a lot of injury issues in Miami as well so I could see that point. But again its on the training staff and the fact it is an aggressive sport as well. Honestly more worried about his inept play calling, failure to use players correctly, and attitude toward his players. That said until next year it doesn't matter. Not sure why there is the need to dig up more on him.

13. ColoradoContrails

If players are using "injuries" to not play it might be. Beyond that, yeah, coaches have an impact on players health, so yeah, they bear some responsibility.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Do you have some un-biased evidence of this injury history? Or is this just speculation based on the fact that Tannehill kept getting banged up?

15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

again with this bullshit? it matters to people how much the Jets lose by? thats so ridiculous

16. ColoradoContrails

No, not "how much" they lose by, it's how they perform.

17. J-Raw24

It wasn't just Tannehill you can look at the injuries piled up during 2017 and 2018 on Miami. But again that can't be pinned on the coach. It was training and the sport. Coach had some influence but in the nfl today there are rules that keep most that influence in check.

18. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Not just Tannehill.

Gase led teams have always been banged up going back to his first season in Miami. He’s a Twitter thread that goes into exact numbers if you want to read it. The only thing I could think of is the way he runs practice but the NFL basically tells you what you can and can’t do.

Edit: Not saying it has to do with Gase, just kinda interesting that’s it’s something that always plagues his teams.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Yeah it matters. Because the whole point of evaluating a coach is to predict what will happen in the future. That way you can decide whether he's worth keeping or not. And blowout losses are more predictive of future losses than close losses are.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

There were reports during the summer that Gase ran intense practices. Maybe they were too intense?

J-Raw24 likes this.