Adam Gase Thread (Merged)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Sep 16, 2019.

1. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Honestly, you have any coach for a number of years and you start to get sour on things he does. Especially when you've won a Superbowl and have one of the best QBs in the league. So I totally get there were people that wanted him out, and on the flipside, some coaches get stale in one location and need a change. I think the "complete control" was media fabricated, Reid didn't even get that in KC when he got hired and was matched with Dorsey. Not that is matters, that ship has sailed and it's not coming back.

Would he have been the savior? Possibly not with this beat-up roster, but they wouldn't look like trash. Would he have been better than Gase, I have no doubt in my mind. That picture of Gase sitting down on the bench and drawing up plays says it all about him and his incompetence as a head coach. He's so absorbed in the offense and his so-called game plan, that he doesn't have a handle on the rest of the game. You could say, well the assistants should be on top of those things. Well, they aren't, and that also demonstrates his lack of preparation as a HEAD coach. I'm probably preaching to the choir on that, but just watching these games gets me so fired up. Especially this last Bengals game, I wanted to tear my screen off the wall.

As for Williams, I'll give credit where it's due, he's done great with the squad he has on the field. I'm probably in the minority who think Williams would be an excellent HC candidate at this point in his career. After the job he did righting the ship in Cleveland, this guy deserved a shot to coach somewhere. If Cleveland would have kept him, I bet they would have been much better this season. He has actually become a major reason behind why I want Gase gone, I'd like to see him get a shot here. Come the end of this season, I'm fairly certain someone is going to give him a HC position and we'll be back to square one anyway.

As for Douglas, the jury is still out. He's had some rookie GM bumps in the road with the kicker situation and the injury nonsense. But, he's also done a decent job filling random holes on the roster, so I'm looking forward to seeing how he refills the roster in the offseason/draft. We'll see. Okay, off my soapbox.

#2621 rockyusmc2003, Dec 4, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Much, perhaps all, of what you say is true. The complete control could have been a media fabrication, and with our media, it wouldn't surprise me at all.

I read the article today about how Rodgers has held a grudge towards McCarthy since the 2005 draft, and I can easily see most of the difficulties between those two as being Rodgers' fault. Since I read it, I have already started moving towards your position. If it's true that McCarthy refuses to change the routes of his WRs, then that is a valid complaint, but I think he probably would have adapted more to the talent on hand here than Gase has and the team might have been more competitive. He may have been no better in making in-game adjustments than Gase, however.

I agree with you regarding Williams. He deserves a HC job. I don't want to lose him, but I won't begrudge him if he gets a HC gig somewhere.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter than Peyton wasn't a genius at 22 because Gase wasn't Peyton's coach back then. And I'm all but convinced that stability is overrated. Stability is correlated with success, but I think having good people in charge is the reason for both stability and success. If you don't have good people in charge, then stability is useless.

As for Gase's play-calling, he has a well-deserved reputation for turning his QBs into checkdown machines. That inflates their passer rating by reducing interceptions and incompletions, but it's all a mirage. This year, he's been trying to throw downfield with Darnold more often, but the plays often end with Darnold getting killed and/or doing something dumb before anyone can get open. A lot of that is on the linemen, but for every time I see a lineman get beaten, I also see a blocking scheme breakdown. And part of that could be on the linemen, but it's also on the coaching.

NYJetsO12, Andy_M, Noam and 2 others like this.
  4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I am starting to think the same, which would be unfortunate because Bell has been a really good locker room guy. Marriage isn't working mainly due to the offensive line, if JD can get some big body guys in there that can block, perhaps things get better.

I just hope Douglas really wants Gase here.

FJF likes this.
  5. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Douglas will be here at least 3 more years. Hopefully longer. If Gase is not the answer he should have a chance to pick his own coach. We will see after 2020.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I don’t see any reason to doubt that gase and Douglas are copacetic.
    The biggest bright side to this season is it has put a huge spotlight on what needs to be addressed immediately. And we have the gm and coach on the same timeline so there’s no competing agendas

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

idk about no competing agendas. Gase brought Douglas here, yes, so maybe for now they are working on the same page. But Gase has gotten people fired here already and in Miami.

if your girlfriend was cheating on her man with you, then they break up and you get a house together. It may seem like you are on the same page together initially, but she had no problem straying from her man before....in this case, twice before...

J-Raw24 likes this.
  8. J-Raw24

Exactly what Browning Nagle said. Also they don't have the same time line. Douglas held out for a 6 year deal. Obviously longer contract more money, but you also have to think he did it in case Gase isn't the deal. Gase has no where near 6 years. No where near the same time line. But as I said what Browning said is as true as it gets.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Gase is on a bit of a tighter leash than that though. If he gets ousted after next year or even this year and if there's murmurs about internal problems I highly doubt there will be another head coaching job for him for a loooong time. I can't think of many coaches that have had three chances in a 5-6 year period.

FJF likes this.
  10. J-Raw24

I don't think there is a chance he gets ousted this year. But I agree with your assessment. When Gase loses this job he won't be head coaching again. Only team that even looked his way this time was us. But Douglas has a lot longer to get it right. I don't like Gase but I still have hope for Douglas. Just hope he gets us some talent on this team.

NYJetsO12 and Andy_M like this.
  11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

oh he will absolutely never get a 3rd chance. but there could come a time where they have an ugly split, Gase & Douglas, in which case, its not cast in iron that Gase will be the one to be fired

12. FJF

They’re both year one and per CJ have the owners support. I don’t think gases’ seat is as hot as some here would like or many here believe it is. Barring any kind of disaster, like this season’s record with no injuries and the team quitting , gase and Douglas will get 3 years to make the playoffs. My belief is CJ is all in on let them build a program.

13. J-Raw24

I believe next year will be the decision. Not saying they have to make playoffs but definitely make progess. Winning season, 9-7 something. That said Douglas will outlast Gase if they play bad. He should have his chance to pick his head coach. If Gase coaches a horrible season again, Douglas shouldn't sink with him.

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I'm really sick of these arranged marriages. I'm a firm believer in the front office and general manager being in place before selecting the coach.

We haven't done it since the late 2000s, and even then I can't really remember how the Bradway/Herm to Tannenbaum/Mangini process took place.

We forced Rex and Idzik together. Then Maccagnan and Bowles even though they seemed to mesh (in a bad way). And then we let Maccagnan (sloppily) choose the next head coach only to fire him three months later?

This is why even if you don't have someone sporting the VP of Football Operations title, you need a guy doing that role. There's also a reason the Steelers, Ravens, Patriots, Seahawks, Saints, etc. are routinely well run franchises. Obviously a franchise QB for all of those teams makes it easier.

If next season is another 5-11 season that we punt away with good off-season acquisitions then I hope someone at One Jets Drive really rethinks how he's doing all of this nonsense.

We had a good shot at Chris Ballard (now Colts GM) and Ryan Pace (Bears GM) as well as Tom Gamble (49ers personnel director) and George Paton (Vikings assistant GM) when we hired Maccagnan. And the majority of them declined because of all the stipulations we gave them. Similar to the stipulations of trading Revis and keeping Rex we gave to all the GM candidates prior to that.

HomeoftheJets, NCJetsfan and FJF like this.
  15. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

Thing is....if Douglas does a good job putting an offensive line together for next year, even if they only make a few other adjustments, chances are they will be a hell of a lot more competitive than this year.

Jets81, FJF and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  16. J-Raw24

This again depends on the coach. Jets have lost several seasons with some great o line play. So have other teams. Some of Brick and Mangolds best years were wasted with bad coaching.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  17. FJF

Fixed your post.

mangold brick suffered thru the collapse of Sanchez and geno.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  18. FJF

No one wants to hear this, it takes away from the hope gase will be gone.

19. J-Raw24

So now your going to say we didn't have a coaching issue? If I remember right Rex supported Sanchez through a few horrible years. Then the Geno thing well. Yeah. But also those coaches had a hand in those QBs being out there. Other than Mac this year our HC has been in the draft room and had some kind of influence.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  20. FJF

I mean Rex won 8 games with geno f’n Smith. Don’t get me wrong, the rex era had run its course, maybe lasted a year too long but we weren’t winning much more than we did with the offensive talent that was left after 2010.