Adam Gase Thread (Merged)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Sep 16, 2019.

1. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

But look at Miami... several good o line. Brandon Albert, Tunsil, other good players Kenny stills, Jay Ajayi, Devante Parker starting to look decent. Minkah Fitzpatrick, Xavien Howard, Cam Wake, Charles Harris, Robert Quin. Wasn't a huge lack of talent. Heck even Tannehill looks decent... Gase bombed.

2. J-Raw24

Maybe. But the Johnsons are one of the worst "Owners" in the business. We just went through the Macbowle era remember.

NYJetsO12 and AJT73 like this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Again with the straw man! No one is crucifying Gase for failing to win 9 games, or even 8 games, it's the fact that the team plays like shit most of the time. Yes, there's the nice little 3 game winning streak against the dregs of the NFL, but they're not competitive against decent teams, and Gase doesn't make adjustments. His coaching has set this team back, worse than they were last year. Now THERE'S an accomplishment!

Ralebird and NYJetsO12 like this.
  4. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I agree with both sides. I see why people will give Gase time and others like me that are quick to say he needs to go. Here is my one question: The Jets returned the same offense from last year with the addition of Bell and Crowder. Gase is an offensive coach (I'll mulligan the three without Darnold for now). Bell and Crowder are upgrades from last year. Explain to me why our offense is worse? Explain to me the same oline with the additions of Kalil and Osemele who are supposed to be better than what we had and why is the offense regressing?

My answer: Again not talking about the three without Darnold. A coach that has a system and doesn't adapt. He coaches that and only that. Bell a great running back. Nothing for him. Darnold is better on the move. Lets make him a pocket passer. Similar things to what we saw in Miami. A stubborn coach who upsets his players and doesn't adapt to their strengths. Just look at Parker and Tannehill. Playing great. Why they are away from Gase.

Like I said. You have a side. First year in the system, team really isn't that good. You probably have more. Please let me know. I agree with those arguments but this is year 4 of Gase being a coach. He needs to be better and he hasn't learned from the past. That's why I'd like to move on.

5. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

They seem to do everything one year too late. Same thing will happen here. It happened with those two. Wish they could go away. The franchise would be so much better off.

6. J-Raw24

You know why Baltimore is winning right now...... they adapted to the player. They don't force the player into their system. Yeah they have some big name players. But baltimores offense is built for Lamar. Gase think his system is the best way to run it... Doesn't care who is on the roster. As soon as a player doesn't do it his way... They get moved

Ralebird, NCJetsfan, jixxjr and 3 others like this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

I watched the game, and the all but one other game. The plays run for Bell suck. He's got a particular style, and that obviously doesn't mesh with Gase's playcalling, so what does Gase do? Certainly not adjust his playcalling! As as as not being able to bust one, he did in fact but it was called back. On a number of other runs he made yardage where no RB would have. And I know you've watched enough football to know that many of the great RBs have games where they struggle for much f the game, but then as the game wears on they start making yardage. Gase never gives Bell that opportunity.

Look, it was a given that having sat out a year he would need to play his way back into real game shape and rhythm, and a good HC would've come up with a way to accomplish that, but not Gase. And it's clear that's because he didn't want Bell and he wants to prove he was right.

NCJetsfan, NYJetsO12 and J-Raw24 like this.
  8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

No one's creating a straw man argument. Gase sucks. Which means there must be a better alternative, right?

He hasn't done that badly given the circumstances. This is his first year with the Jets and he's coached 12 games with mostly backups all over the place and zero depth.

Where should this team be? Shitty teams play like shit most of the time. We don't have a franchise quarterback that can cover the holes of the shitty talent gap.

We've tied last year's win total with the most injuries in the NFL and one of our two largest acquisitions in the off-season basically on IR, and our other averaging 3.2 YPC.

Our offensive line last year gave up 37 sacks all year. We gave up 37 sacks through 7 games this year. We had pretty much the same offensive line starting all season last year, minus a Carpenter injury where we had a formidable backup in Dozier and replacing Spencer Long when he forgot how to snap. We've had 8 different offensive line combinations to start games this year and even more if you count in game.

What adjustments should be made? Tell me the secret sauce. Running off tackle with our slow as shit runningback and terrible tackles for three yard losses would fix this team? We're running play actions and rollouts for Darnold and no one gets open and when they do they drop balls. But that's Gase's fault that he has to run plays for Braxton fucking Berrios because there's not much else there.

9. ColoradoContrails

Washed up? He's 28 and sat out a full season, so doesn't have as much wear and tear as he would have. Unless there's a career-threatening injury not disclosed, there's no way he's washed up. How about we apply Occam's Razor (Law) to this? What's the simpler answer:

1. A 28 year old RB, in his prime, who has remained injury free, and who say out a year, missing out on the physical contact, but otherwise staying in peak physical shape is "washed up",

OR

2. A HC who has a history of not using RBs well, and is known for holding vendettas and being stubborn, is misusing a RB?

I'll go with #2.

10. J-Raw24

The secret sauce is in Douglas hopefully getting the draft right. But my point on Gase stands.. He failed in Miami with more talent. He rebuilt in Miami. He's not going to get better. It shows he doesn't want to adapt his play calling. He doesn't have what it take.. a year here.. 3 in Miami. Same guy same results. I want the Jets to win. Make deep playoff runs. It won't happen with Gase

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

I beg to differ:

"I'm not sure what magical coach would've willed this team to 9 wins"

Who - besides you - said this? Specifically said that the reason Gase sucks and should be fired is because they're not going to win 9 games?

No, YOU said it, to make it easier to dismiss it. Straw man.

Ralebird and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

okay, so... what plays should they run for Bell?

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

Pay me what they're paying Gase, I'll be happy to tell you.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

What? Did you know Le'Veon Bell missed 15 games over a three year period in Pittsburgh? Three games to suspension. I guess your forget that he tore his ACL.

Let's remove all of the catches from the equation. Did you know Le'Veon Bell already ranks 95th all time in rushing attempts? With four games to go he's going to move up ten spots on that list.

Missing out on physical contact doesn't make you younger and quicker. It's also incredibly obvious that he hasn't adjusted back to the speed of an NFL game. It's no secret that NFL holdouts struggle when they come back. Bell took two years off. I don't blame him. But he's running in sand now because the game has surpassed him.

15. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

In Miami, Gase forced Jay Ajayi out (didn't fit his system smh)

Joe Douglas and the Eagles promptly picked him up and rode him all the way to SB

I don't claim to know as much about Football as other poster do , and I respect what former players like Vilma have to say but until Gase proves otherwise with some consistent wins, all talent assembled for him blah blah ..I think he suxs

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

That's such a whack answer to avoid the question.

17. ColoradoContrails

It's not just WHAT plays, it's the combination, it's the game plan that's flawed. When you run on obvious running downs, and pass on obvious passing downs, they're not going to work. And when I refer to game plan, that includes being able to adjust the designed plan to the circumstances of the game. Gase is a killer of RBs.

Ralebird likes this.
  18. Jonathan_Vilma

I'm not actually Jonathan Vilma...

Ajayi rushed for 617 yards in three seasons after Gase traded him away. Super effective.

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

uhhh no. lol Jay Ajayi is a 3rd string running back in Philly, he doesn't even see the field. He was a 1,200 yard rusher in Gase's offense

folks don't like him so they start in on the revisionist history?

20. ColoradoContrails

It was a dumb question. To answer it the way you'd like it I would have to have Gase's job, know all the personnel, have access to film, etc.

We're obviously never gong to agree.