Adam Gase Thread (Merged)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Do you watch the games? We have a tightend on the field at all times.

Does anyone even really understand how a zone blocking scheme works? There is no designated hole. It's up to the blockers to cover up the defenders by putting a body on them. If the center has the inside linebacker and he runs left you push him left. If he runs right you push him right. It's designed to create seams and the runningback has to choose their seam.

There's also usually one man that's unaccounted for that the runningback is supposed to make miss.

Now our offensive line absolutely sucks so there's very few seams. But there have been some. And Bell hesitates in every instance and then tries to accelerate and gets thrown down for a 6 yard gain on his absolute best runs.

I wonder if it ever occurred to anyone that off tackle and outside runs take longer to develop. And with an atrocious offensive line that can't hold blocks, maybe, JUST MAYBE, there's a reason all of our runs end up being in the A gaps.

2. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

So because our coach only runs 3 run plays all straight up the gut. Doesn't utilize his tightend to block for crap. We have the worst o line in the league. And hc only calls about 15 run plays per game. Bell is washed up. I bet if bell leaves he will return to a top 5 rb easy. Look at the top backs in the league. All have decent lines... plays called both inside and outside. TE block for them. And the coach knows that runs open up the pass... look at the ones struggling. They have at least one if these issues..

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

yes, they were zone rushes, Bell was choosing to take them inside. Most common however, he didn't really have a choice as he was getting swarmed. Zone running game is Bell's M.O. That's what has made him a millionaire pro-bowl running back.

I mean yeah, Gase coulda scrapped the offense, lined up in the I formation and threw pitches to him. It wouldn't have worked with Bell at all though, he's too slow to get the edge. You'd have to bench Bell completely and put in Powell, and who knows if that even works because the right tackle - Shell - is very shitty.

FJF likes this.
  4. J-Raw24

But if you do the same thing on every run they just plug the middle.. and that was bells run style before we got him. Hesitate then attack . Nothing changed. You have to change it up. Bring in 2 TE ( which gase almost never does) tie up more more rushers.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. BrowningNagle

that doesn't make any sense. Your answer to the defense clogging up the middle is to clog it up in return. It has been proven over and over in this league that that doesn't work.. especially with a shitty offensive line

When the defense clogs the running lanes with 7,8,9 man boxes, you respond by spreading them out so that they can't do that

6. J-Raw24

No my answer is to use TE on the outside and wr to block the cbs. Let bell take it to the outside . You don't know if he can run outside or not because we haven't even tried. You say he looks slow etc. But we have no clue... because we never do it. He looks fine in space when catching. He we need to stop using the same up the git plays.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

There is a lot to get on Gase about, his usage of Bell is not one of them. Bell looks completely washed and the OL completely sucks. Continuing to run the ball for him to get stuffed for no gain is not gonna win games.

Our best chance to win games is for Sam to light up the D and carry the team. Unfortunately he’s not quite ready to carry a team consistently and our OL is not good enough to give him any help and are killing drives with dumbass penalties.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  8. Jonathan_Vilma

Pittsburgh ran a ton (and still do) of man on man blocking schemes that require a guard pulling to kick out or up into the hole. That's what makes David DeCastro a Pro Bowler and they've been doing this all the way back to the Faneca days.

I agree. He's choosing to take it up the gut because he doesn't have much of a choice. But I don't understand what all of these posters think is going to happen on outside runs.

If you pitch the ball to the right and to the left you have to hold your blocks even longer. Any linebacker in this league is going to swallow up Brick Shoes in the backfield behind this horrid offensive line anyways.

I hope Gase exclusively runs to the edge next week so we can all see how well that works.

9. BrowningNagle

me 2. it will be a good experiment. But then folks will be on here "what an IDIOT Gase is. Running outside all game when it obviously doesn't work. Fire him now rabble rabble rabble"

FJF and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  10. Do i think Gase is awful? Yes.

But like usual jet fans are misguided w their scapegoating.The issues are so much bigger than the HC.

We havent drafted well in at least a decade.Ownership has no clue how to fix it.Start there

Its always “the talent sucks but how bout a coach who can overcome that?”.Well no how bout the team actually figure out how to identify talent & build a respectable roster? They cant.

NCJetsfan and CotcheryFan like this.
  11. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

We have to hope that Joe D is the real deal and that him and Gase truly do share the same vision.

When was the last time we really had a GM & HC on the same page?

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Of course. The only way this team can get some wins is to throw the ball around the yard and hope the defense holds up and Darnold can avoid the pressure.

Shelling up into an I-Formation and running the ball 40 times a game doesn't work if your offensive line absolutely sucks. I previously disagreed with you on this but it really wouldn't have helped.

13. BrowningNagle

it might result in a close loss though. and for some folks that's all they want.

14. J-Raw24

Funny.. He's been relying on the passing game and defense... how far has that got us....oh yeah 4-8.. oh and we set a record.. good thing we got gase.

15. Jonathan_Vilma

Nah I don't even think so. You can't keep games close with like that with the amount of no gains we have.

16. Jonathan_Vilma

True. There hasn't been any other factors in this shitty season. It's simply because he doesn't do as you recommend and load up the LOS with tightends and run the ball 35 times a game.

17. J-Raw24

I'm not saying its all gase.. we got rid of the other problem. But I watched Gase in Miami. He's garbage. There is nothing you can show that proves he's changed. Same dink/dunk system. There he had an oline and didn't want to run it. It won't matter until he's gone. Unfortunately we have him for at least part of next year. But he's not the answer. I like Williams. He's working with thrift store players and making things work at least a little. But Gase has already shown he can't compete in this league.

18. Jonathan_Vilma

I didn't know Gase had a wealth of talent on his side of the ball. Our top two receivers have never had thousands yard seasons. Our tightend was available in training camp and there's not a single NFL Calibre offensive lineman on this roster.

19. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I agree with you. Saving grace if we lose out can he be let go? Looking at the schedule Dolphins are better coached than we are they have an edge there. Being at home in cold slight edge there for us. Which team shows? Toss up slight edge Dolphins. Ravens on a short week in Baltimore. Won't be pretty. Duck Hodges and the Steelers. Edge to Steelers but I can see Williams with a gameplan to slow Duck down. Steelers win but could go either way. Buffalo game. I think they'll be locked into the 5th position. I think Barkely will start or play the second half so we have a chance but realistically we could lose all 4. If so we'll end up with a top 10 pick, last in the AFC East. I know Johnson said he'd come back but if Miami who wasn't supposed to win a game is ahead of us plus we lost to the Dolphins and Bengals maybe their is hope.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well first, simply throwing numbers around doesn't give the complete picture and you know this. As Mark Twain said: "The are three kinds of lies: lies, damnable lies, and statistics". You can make them say anything you want.

That aside, the fact that his touches are down 25% IS significant by itself. Any RB will tell you that the more they touch the ball over the game, the better they usually get. This has to do with them warming up and getting into the rhythm of the game, as well as the other team wearing down and getting tired. So not allowing him to get to that point is huge problem. And who decides how many touches a RB gets? Gase.

But the other major aspect that doesn't get revealed by raw numbers is HOW he's being used, the plays he's being asked to run. This is another problem that points directly to Gase. TBF, in the last 4 games, it seems like Bell is being used differently, and more effectively (relatively) than previously, so Gase has probably made SOME adjustments, but not nearly enough.

As far as it being a "bad signing", if it was, it's because Gase didn't want him, and is clearly undermining him to prove his point. As I said before, if they're really going to keep Gase as HC, then they might as well trade Bell, but the better approach would be to keep the proven commodity and lose the loser.

Ralebird, NCJetsfan and NYJetsO12 like this.