Adam Gase’s success formula for keeping his job

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Swe-Jet, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Swe-Jet

Swe-Jet Member

Agreed. Some people seem to forget how Sam finished last season. Statistically he was even better than Pat Mahomes over the last six games. And at this point the most merited coach on offense was JEREMY BATES who had been out of football for four years and had not been calling plays since 2011. With both Gase and Jim Bob Cooter on the coaching staff anything but improvement from these games would be a failiure.

Noam and BacktoQueens like this.
  2. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Not even close to correct. Sam's last 6 games QB Rating.
    75.8, 31.8, 83.7, 100, 128.4, 74.6-Good, real good mediocre and putrid.

Pat Mahomes last 6 games regular season:
    120, 109.9, 103.4, 110.3, 91.5, 117.6
    NFL MVP

If Sam had played at a consistent level better than Mahomes for 6 consecutive games firing Bowles would have been an incredibly stupid move.

#22 Biggs, Oct 17, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    cval likes this.
  3. Swe-Jet

Swe-Jet Member

Sorry, let me correct that. Maybe it was a bit of an overstatement but in terms of TD/INT ratio Darnold was better after his return from injury.

4. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

It's okay, I'm a big fan of Sam. We should be excited for what he may become. I'm hopeful that Gase helps him deserve the hyperbole because if he doesn't, it will be a set back for Sam and the Jets future.

5. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

https://clutchpoints.com/jets-news-...over-the-last-3-weeks-per-pro-football-focus/

It was pretty obvious by season's end that Sam was on the verge of being something special.
    He was playing excellent football.....amongst the best in the league, as a rook no less.

What makes you believe Gase has the ability to optimize Darnold's potential?
    More importantly, what makes you believe Gase can lead and inspire a team of 53?
    It's possible he can, but there is way more evidence to the contrary at this point, including his putrid first impressions here.

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Here's exactly how Gase can keep his job:

Win (or at least have them competitive in any losses).

WarriorRB28 and Longsuffering88 like this.
  7. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

He got NC to leave the board for six weeks.

I’ll take it.

8. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

TLDR

the formula is win

So far not good

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. Swe-Jet

Swe-Jet Member

You're right. I'm a big fan of Sam too. My point is that there are a lot of reasons to be optimistic about Darnold. And considering the circumstances he's been handled, he's been quite impressive at times.
    Hopefully Darnold will have the ability to develop into one of the greatest QBs ever, regardless who is coaching him. Then it will become irrelevant whether Gase is the HC or not. Only time will tell...

#29 Swe-Jet, Oct 18, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  10. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Sam was clearly better and had a couple of good games. Comparing him to Mahomes at any point last year is ridiculous. Mahomes had 19TD's in his last 6 games last year. Sam had 7. They both had 5 INT's. The reality is Sam needs stability in coaching, terminology and having the same coaching over a period of years vs. having 3, 4 or 5 new OC's over the next few years will have a huge impact on his development. That doesn't mean Gase gets a free pass but it certainly means he gets a fair chance to build something here before getting kicked to the door because the team looked like shit with Luke Falk.

Young QB's are often set back because they are drafted onto shitty teams that routinely dump their coaching staffs too coverup for poor drafting and FA signings.

cval likes this.
  11. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Gase came recommended by one of the greatest QB's to ever play the game. Gase got a crappy Dolphin team to the playoffs with a crappy QB. FYI the team with 2 QB's better than Gase ever had is now the worst team in football. Gase ran a great camp where Sam by all accounts was thriving. Gase in the only game Sam has been healthy, against a good Dallas team called a great game where Sam thrived and the team finished even though Sam made two bad throws to kill the put away. The team also played hard as hell for 60 minutes in spite of the crappy 0 and 4 start. Gase came in and went bat shit over the GM's inability to get OL, specifically a center during FA. Because of Gase we had one of the hot prospects as a GM choose to come here as our GM.

Again he may suck but the reality is I'm a Jets fan and I want him with his experience to succeed and be here for years. I want Sam to continue to progress under Gase. I'm rooting for this shitty franchise with it's fan base believing they deserve a winner just because they are fans to finally have both a quality GM and HC and have them here for years.

I'm as much of a realist as anyone on this board. I know what this shit show will look like if Gase fails.

Most of the arguments against Gase are based on breeding. Jets fans have been bred to be losers. We want a guarantee and it's not ever coming here. Parcells and BB checked out on the NYJ a long time ago.

johnny and Acad23 like this.
  12. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

Actually, the real formula for success depends on the league's need to script the Jets into a winning franchise. It hasn't happened in 50 years, so maybe the football gods believe they are due and will make it happen for them.

13. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

You're overselling the importance of the NY market just like the Knicks tried to do. MSG is no longer the "mecca" of basketball and playing in the NY/NJ area just doesn't have the draw or star power it used to especially if you factor in taxes, etc.

The NFL doesn't need the Jets to win. Frankly, as long as there's two teams in this market, the NFL is good with one of them sucking. Again, the NBA has two teams in NY now and Brooklyn is a far better option than the Knicks so, Dolan gets to continue his incompetent hiring and losing ways.. Just like the Johnson Bros across the river. That is the new reality of NY Pro sports.. Outside of the Yankees, its pretty much irrevelant.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  14. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Well I appreciate the optimism and hope you are correct.
    The Jets would be much better off with some stability at the coaching positions, and I like Gregg Williams and Boyer quite a bit.

The logic behind your arguments in favor of Gase are full of holes though. Even you have to realize that.

I can easily make more tangible arguments as to why he shouldn't be trusted with the reigns of this team.
    However it isn't necessary.
    We will learn a lot this Monday night.
    A win over the cheats would move that needle of opinion quite a bit, and maybe instill some confidence that we aren't wasting Sam's developmental years with the wrong coach.
    Let's hope! :)

15. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Exactly.

That's what it's all about.

ColoradoContrails likes this.