Aaron Rodgers - Yay or Nay (POLL)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 26, 2023.

?

Want Aaron Rodgers at Jets?

Poll closed Feb 25, 2023.
  1. Yay

58.9%
  2. Nay

26.6%
  3. Undecided

14.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I haven’t been following as close as everyone. Is the asking price really two first round picks?

If it is, getting Rodgers would be super fun. I’m sure it won’t work out in the long run for the franchise, but it’d be exciting to have a NFL QB for once.

LAJet and KY Jets Fan like this.
  2. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

There’s no way that the cost would be 2 firsts.
    I don’t think it would even cost 1 first unless a bunch of conditions all hit, which would be a good thing tho.

Look at the Favre trade for reasonable comparison.

3. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

Ya that’s true, but doesn’t take away from the other clown posters who are now clambering for Rodgers when earlier it was all negativity from them. They’re still clowns.

4. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Peter King put a guess in this article that it would take 2 1's to get Aaron Rodgers and people are running with that.

"So, how possible is it? Well, consider that Rodgers’ cap numbers in the next two seasons would be $48.3 million, combined. That’s certainly manageable. As for the compensation due Green Bay, my guess is the Pack would want at least two first-round picks. The Woody Johnson Jets, desperate for a star QB almost since the Broadway Joe days, would happily pay that freight, I’d guess. But would Rodgers accept a deal to the Jets? We shall see."

I think Rodgers could be had for less but we'll see how this whole situation shakes out.

dawinner127 likes this.
  5. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

It was leaked a few days ago by Peter King that the starting price is 2 firsts.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  6. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

I know it's a cop-out but I went undecided. It is difficult for me to answer this question without knowing the cost of acquiring Rodgers in both assets (Draft Picks/Players) and Salary (Restructured Contract?)

IIMeanDeanII and JetFanInNE like this.
  7. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I think this is a fair position to take.

nycarl, JetFanInNE and BrowningNagle like this.
  8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Agreed. 2 first round picks for a guy who will be here a year? even if its 1 1st that's stupid desperation.

When Tampa picked up Brady he was a free agent. If you are gonna go after 40 year olds that is the way to go. You dont sacrifice draft capital for that.

Tell Green Bay you arent interested and let them release him. And then maybe sign him. If GB finds a way out of the mess without cutting him than so be it

SOJAZ likes this.
  9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I don’t believe he is JD first or even second choice. My gut says at most the Jets would consider one first rounder for AR, which won’t cut it. I would love to have him, but the better bet is bring in Carr or even JG, use all draft picks to build the team, OL, S, LB position and QB. This O will be pretty run heavy with Hackett. Zach will be given one more year on the bench. Battle it out with the rookie.

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

That sounds like something leaked by the Packers.

When we discuss what draft capital it would take to get Rodgers, don't we also have to consider how many other teams would be hot to trot for Rodgers? He would appeal only to teams that think they're a QB away from Super Bowl contention. Who are those teams? If the Packers can't get two or more teams bidding on Rodgers, the asking price will drop considerably, right?

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think this, like Favre, is out of the general managers hands. The Jets can win the off-season tabloids by making this move and it sounds like it’s going to be Woody’s choice.

What the Jets should do in order to mitigate the volume of picks they need to give up is play this cool and back down these rumors for the next 2-3 weeks.

There are a LOT of options on the market even if Rodgers is the best (short term) player available.

12. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

I think it's going to happen, and I am in favor of it. Speculation about the compensation is pointless, especially when it's based on Peter King conjecture. I can't wait to see what our skill position players will do with Aaron Rodgers leading the offense. Will Garrett Wilson become the top WR in football? Elijah Moore becomes Randall Cobb plus? I am looking forward to this. I did not hold these beliefs when it was Favre. That felt more like a publicity stunt (because Woody was peddling PSL's) and also since we all knew Favre wanted to play in Minnesota, not here. Aaron Rodgers with a chip on his shoulder could be really really fun. I think he may want "us". He may think we have a better shot than GB does with the emerging talent we have.

NOVAJET likes this.
  13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Very good points. While I do believe Woody normally stays out of JDs day to day affairs this is far from it and will be driven from the top down. Woody wants it all now, with a major boom or bust move. I think he believes the Jets were one QB away from being in the same league with the rest of the AFC and AR is the flashiest move to get us there.

14. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

The only team that could've traded for Rodgers was Denver and they burned their picks with Wilson. It's a 1-team race for Rodgers.

15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Woody will triple his money just on the sale of a special edition half green half black Namath/Rodgers 12 jersey.
    Headlines “Retired Jets #12 Jersey wins second SB for the Jets.”

16. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

17. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

18. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

This thread will probably become as long as the Nmandi Asomugha thread - right up until the point that Rodgers commits to Green Bay for one more season.

19. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

Looks like the Packers are regretting extending Rodgers contract a year ago and may be desperate to get out of it with some draft capital. Jordan Love waiting in the wings and Rodgers advancing age, thumb and rib injuries appears to have put the Pack in a precarious position. Therefore, the Packers have little leverage here and are not negotiating from a position of strength. Regardless of the demand for Rodgers (which outside of NY doesn't seem all that great), what is all this talk about giving up a 1st Rounder, or even multiple picks for Rodgers?

One year down the road, the Jets could easily be in the same position as the Packers are in right now, minus a 1st Round Pick, and with fewer possibilities than the Pack have now of unloading Rodgers to an unsuspecting suitor. And if Rodgers fails to deliver and replicates buddy Favre and has an unremarkable season in New York, that is three high Jet 1st Rounders down the drain on QB picks in the past five years.

If the Jets can get Rodgers in town by just giving up a conditional 3rd Rounder, then the risk would be worth the potential reward. Since the Packers seem to be up against the wall with Rodger's contract, why would anyone in their right mind let them off the hook and absorb a larger risk? The right amount of desperation, grouped with some smoke and mirrors can go a long way in fogging up the thinking process and perpetuating the poor decisions.

nycarl, Ralebird, SOJAZ and 1 other person like this.
  20. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

If it is, it will need to absolutely plummet before they get any takers.

Ralebird likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.