Aaron Rodgers Watch - Clock Ticking

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYGalPal, Mar 7, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

We have been saying it for days but today is the first day there’s a massive consequence if we don’t have the answer. So like I’ve been saying either it’s figured out today regardless of if it’s yes or no, or JD needs to be job hunting.

JetFanInNE and KY Jets Fan like this.
  2. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I can't imagine the level of toxicity on this board and Twitter if the Jets whiff on Carr, Rodgers, and Lamar this offseason.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  3. BroadwayAaron

4. BroadwayAaron

I’d be far more upset if we ended up with Lamar on a fully guaranteed deal plus two firsts than if we passed on him so I’m fine if that ends up being the case. Also Lamar is not a realistic option so no one should be upset, Ravens will match anything unless it’s a huge fully guaranteed deal and full circle, any team would be stupid to offer that.

5. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Meh, at least with Lamar you can sell yourself on a future past 2023.

It wouldn't surprise me for Woody to step in if this Rodgers' thing goes sideways and give JD the greenlight for that massive contract. JD and Saleh would love it because it might keep their jobs safe for a few more years and Woody would love it because he can sell more tickets, #8 jerseys, etc.

KingRoach, Snatch Catch and Borat like this.
  6. BroadwayAaron

I can’t sell myself on any kind of future when you trade for a guy that has missed five games in each of the last two years, plays a style that ends careers early and will hamstring your books for the duration of his contract. There’s certainly a better future with him than a guy like Jimmy but there’s so much potential for disaster there it’s not even close to worth it. There’s a reason the rest of the league is ignoring him in solidarity.

Also there’s no chance Woody goes up against the rest of the owners and fucks the league like that. Doesn’t have the balls and he only thinks in terms of business. That would be a terrible business move for him.

Br4d and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  7. CaptainCap

CaptainCap Well-Known Member

Will Rodgers make his decision today?? Yes or No. If you're a politician you'll probably say maybe. I say sometime this afternoon.

8. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

JD and Saleh don't care about future ramifications of a Lamar trade. They put another 7-10 season under their belt in 2023 and they're gone.

After Rodgers, Lamar is really the only option left that moves the needle for this team. I'm not even sure if going 9-8 with Jimmy G., Tannehill, etc. saves their jobs.

KingRoach likes this.
  9. BroadwayAaron

Woody would fire both of them before going against the grain and putting himself in bad standing with the league/other owners.

10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

To me, at noon today if Rodgers is not in the fold, the first call that needs to be made is to Lamar. Yes, we will have to guarantee a lot more and there is a chance Ravens will match. But when you fail on a QB with second overall pick (and pretty much all other QB picks in the history of the team) you are not going to have perfect options.

11. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

12. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

Lamar is a tough one for me. Beyond the compensation the Ravens have a week to match. Unless we find some Curtis Martin poison pill to put in there or just completely make an unmatchable offer we’re gonna be left holding our dicks if Baltimore matches and waits the whole week.

13. BroadwayAaron

This is another good point. And if there is one team that Joe Douglas isn’t going to fuck over with a poison pill contract, it would be the Ravens. There’s just very little upside to getting involved in this Lamar situation as it’s currently constructed.

cmcm750203 likes this.
  14. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Dang it. It is Monday morning. Only 2.5 hours left for legal tampering and we still didn't hear anything one way or another. :(

15. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Isn’t Rodgers contract bonus day this Friday? I’m betting he’s going to leave it a few more days before announcing. He doesn’t give a shit about free agency.

(I also expect to be proved wrong in about 4 hours time)

16. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

Well, there's one thing we can all be sure of. When the dust settles and no matter how this all turns out, there is going to be one helluva story about what the fuck was going on over the last few weeks with Rodgers, the Jets and Green Bay. All the parties won't be able to get to the media fast enough to take credit or deflect blame.

This whole thing has me exhausted.

#1236 Since1969, Mar 13, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2023
  17. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

This is stupid at this point.

I thought fur sure we'd have a resolution by this weekend.

If I'm JD I say suck it Aaron. We're done. Move on to Jimmy G

Since1969 and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  18. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Without a doubt, the hold up Is, Rodgers.

Professional teams do not wait till the last minute In this manner to make a decision.

I'm disgusted the Jets have seemingly handcuffed themselves to one player, waiting on his "decision", and allowing It to come to this.

Dude has one foot out the door already and they are self sabotaging this team at this point.

Only the fucking NYJ. I swear.

KY Jets Fan and Since1969 like this.
  19. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

You really have to ask yourself if you want a guy on your team who is this undecided on joining you. :eek:

If you owned a business, offered someone a job, and they said they'd get back to you in a month, would you sit around waiting ?

20. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I would think we need a definitive answer by noon eastern time. JD needs to know if he needs to jump on a QB like Jimmy G or if he’s got the QB and then needs to move on to OL or whatever his free agency priority is.

Same for GB…they need to know what cap room they have.

It is super frustrating because there have really been no leaks. We can assume that JD and Woody really want this to happen, so it’s safe to say that either Rodgers or the Packers are holding this up. If Rodgers, it’s a pretty dick move…he has to know already what he’s going to want to do…nothing new will come up in the next hour. If it’s the Pack I get it…they are jostling for our first round pick and playing chicken. That makes the most sense to me…it’s always like this with contracts…on big deals, it’s almost always done right at the buzzer.

I guess there’s also a chance that JD is the one stalling and playing chicken for a better deal, but I think he’d just as soon have the deal done and secure AR than haggle a bit.

But the lack of any real leaks makes it tough for us fans…there have been plenty of tweets and such, but nothing concrete.

I still think it gets done because it makes too much sense…but I will never underestimate Jets luck….

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.