Aaron Rodgers, Robert Saleh and how the Jets’ season fell apart: ‘Something has to change’ (Article)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KY Jets Fan, Jan 31, 2024.

1. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

Other then the most common sense factor at play ever and while factoring in the worst kept secrets in football at the time that the Jets desperately wanted him and Green Bay wanted him gone? Not everything needs hard proof to be that obvious.

I mean there was a reason literally everybody knew and was speculating that trade as a forgone conclusion the moment a desperate Woody threw his hat in the mix that was only going to include him bidding against himself on a declining 40yo QB. But if that isn't enough, the fact Hackett doubled down on being historically terrible for a second year in a row and is *still* going to hold on to his job here should be proof enough for anybody but the staunchest Rodgers apologists imo.

I'm hard pressed to even think of another coach that was more deserving of being fired (not counting because off field stuff) then Hackett is right now. This is above even Gase imo.

#101 Kronoking, Feb 2, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2024
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'm not making any apologies for Rodgers, but I'm not going to make any assumptions that put the blame for Hackett entirely on him either.

I can easily see an alternative where Woody got himself in a lather once he heard that Rodgers might be available and then convinced himself that the best way to "get the inside track" on getting Rodgers was to hire Hackett who just happened to be available. But again, that's just speculation.

Again, I've never heard of a pro athlete say: "Well if this or that coach isn't here, then I'm gone (or I'm not going there)". Top athletes - pro or amateur - are focused on winning. They don't care who the coaches are except to the extent that those coaches help them (or not). That's "common sense".

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. Kronoking

We don't have to talk in the hypothetical here. Since we actually have an example of Rodgers caring to an extent that is keeping Hackett in his role at OC :)

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Again, where is the proof that it's Rodgers' demand vs. the stupidity (or whatever else) of Woody, Douglas, and Saleh? I'd say the odds are that it's the latter's decision, not Rodgers', that is keeping Hackett employed.

But if there's proof that it is Rodgers, then that's even more damning of this FO and CS than anything else, and all the more reason that as long as they remain, we're fucked.

NCJetsfan, Borat and barfolomew like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

While I basically agree with your post, remember that in 2022 he played injured. He had knee and rib injuries that hampered his play.

barfolomew likes this.
  6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

They all think their friends help them win, but they are often wrong. Like Rodgers is with Hackett Jr.

barfolomew likes this.
  7. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Wonder if we could trade Rodgers to the Vikings for a 2nd.
    Complete the Favre arc.

We aren’t winning a SB next year.
    Should be thinking about drafting a QB and cleaning house with the FO and CS right now so we can preserve a future.

Keeping Hackett and letting the tail (Rodgers) wag the dog makes no sense.
    Time to pull the plug, it didn’t work out.
    Find that GM, HC and QB this offseason.

8. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I agree that Hackett absolutely should not return, but all signs point to him returning so I'm trying to determine what the best course of action is with that in mind.

9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

It's not just Hackett. It's Hackett, Boyle, Lazard, and Cobb. All from the Packers and all trash. Saleh even "fired" his close personal friend in MLF so Hackett could be brought in. If there's smoke...

But I agree that it's on the FO and CS for allowing this to happen.

barfolomew and ouchy like this.
  10. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

So? You got "nuthin"?

11. Ralebird

Absent the Rodgers/Hackett tie is there a plausible explanation of why Hacket is still here?

12. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Perhaps because Saleh is completely incompetent?

13. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

Not sure what you mean? I don’t think anyone has anything, as all of this seems unsubstantiated until someone provides a source.

14. Kronoking

Like I said yesterday somebody show me another similar example of an NFL Coach, with that historically bad of a 2 year track record of completely exposed incompetence and with their 2 biggest building block playmaker stars openly calling them out for it in the media, who keeps their job.

There essentially is no other rational explanation. Even for the worst run franchise in professional sports. Nobody is realistically THAT oblivious. Buying into a narrative that Woody and co are just too stupid to look up into the sky and see the blue is just a dumb way imo to try and re-frame this away from Rodgers.

Ralebird and abyzmul like this.
  15. jixxjr

jixxjr Well-Known Member

He swallows?????

Cman68 likes this.
  16. Ralebird

Why would you expect anyone to want to put their name on the stories being told? That would be like declaring their retirement. You saw how Rodgers and a few others were more interested in who the source was than solving the problems that were revealed. Even here we have posters who are more concerned with outing the people reporting the crap than that the crap is happening. Keep in mind that the stories follow the same theme and no one has seen fit to deny that they are true. No other reporters close to the team have seen fit to deny the scenarios depicted. Rosenblatt and Russini claim to have spoken to thirty or more sources - if they're fake where are the sources to deny it?

Do you really believe Wilson did not initially decline to rejoin the lineup? What parts of the report do you find hard to believe?

Since1969 and Cman68 like this.
  17. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

This is the problem with unsubstantiated reports. It’s left up to what you or I want to believe out of it. I’m sure atleast some of it is true. But without the responsibility of source, it can freely be embellished to the reporters desire to sell their product . The jets could be caught with their pants down, or they could simply not be feeding into it.
    Rosenblatt and russini “claim” to have spoken to 30 sources. A claim is exactly what it is. Are they the only ones in the great NY sports media that are jumping all over this?
    As far as Rodger etc… I would be after the source whether it was true or not. These are the same ones trying to say Rodgers/wilsons relationship soured down the stretch, when Rodgers said they talked daily. They were seen on the sidelines talking. I’m not just gonna buy all of it, without it being verified.

Borat, NY Jets68 and abyzmul like this.
  18. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I knew it was bad I didn't know it was that bad.

Feels like yesterday Buffalo had the 18 years long playoff drought now here are the Jets approaching that.

It could and should end in 2024 IF they make the right decisions and Rodgers isn't completely done but man if they miss and clean house wow it's scary to even begin to think about.

KY Jets Fan, Brook! and barfolomew like this.
  19. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Pretty sure that was a move by Joe D to scapegoat his failed #2 pick....

Cman68 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  20. Ralebird

Media is not all the same; some are far from reliable, others have high standards. The Athletic is owned by the NY Times which has always had a reputation for accuracy, and has taken action to remove reporters who do not follow their standards. Just because they don't publish names of sources for the public does not mean that they do not identify those sources to their editors prior to publication. You ask if Rosenblatt and Russini are the only ones jumping on the story? Well, they certainly were not the only ones who reported the earlier version when Wilson wimped out of playing and their story was widely cited by multiple other media outlets without, to my knowledge, any of their rivals denying it. Why do you think that was? How would you have such thing "verified" to your satisfaction?

Believe what you want - but I note that you did not answer the question of if you believe Wilson didn't want to get back in the lineup which, of course, was at the root of the entire revelation.

The_Darksider likes this.