Aaron Rodgers, Robert Saleh and how the Jets’ season fell apart: ‘Something has to change’ (Article)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KY Jets Fan, Jan 31, 2024.

1. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

2. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

Yeah he pretty much nails it from a big picture perspective. With the focus push back from Asman also being a great representation of just how far out on the limb people have really gotten in regards to selectively seeing what they want to see as opposed to what is actually there as a whole.

In essence bringing in Rodgers has done the exact opposite of what needed to be done last winter. Putting the cart before the horse and making the culture worse wasn't the answer then, and it's not going to be the answer in 2024.

ouchy likes this.
  3. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

What's frustrating is Lombardi is preaching "culture" and when the Jets hired Saleh, that looked exactly like the right move after the Gase abortion.

Outside of maybe Frank Gore, it appeared everyone hated Gase. His continued aloofness with the media and disdain for certain players made it obvious he wouldn't last very long.

Saleh's personality, looks and demeanor on the sideline (San Francisco's) was a complete 180 from Gase.

If a leader is someone you'd follow, I was all about following Saleh when he got hired. But it now appears the black pit of nothingness that is the Jets franchise has sucked the energy and soul of another once promising employee :(

#203 Ptflea2, Feb 7, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2024
  4. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Saleh changed the moment we got here. I thought we'd be getting the guy who was fiery on the sidelines during games, but instead he just stares off into space while things just crumble around him.

There's no way this team is winning more than 7 games in a season until he and Douglas are sent packing.

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

@REVISion references it a lot so I’ll give him credit but we do a ton of overcorrecting. The personality types of coaches almost all our coaches alternate since Herm.

Herm to Mangini to Rex to Bowles to Gase to Saleh.

6. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

So then that means our next HC will be an offensive-minded disciplinarian who nobody will want to play for? Can't wait. Sigh.

REVISion likes this.
  7. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Jake Asman totally embarrasses himself with his apparent need to pushback against a guy who has firmly nailed the Jets problems.

NY Jets68 and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  8. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

I don't know, I think a lot of the people on this board will want to be shown first. Despite the fact that there's a lot of bickering sometimes, people here are very knowledgeable, much more so than the average fan.

A lot of people here aren't big on Facebook, but the people on Facebook are absolute clueless homers, thousands and thousands of them, and they will absolutely buy into the hype again. No question whatsoever.

ouchy likes this.
  9. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I thought it was interesting. Yes, Michael nailed the Jets problems, but then you could see complete 180, when they started talking about Belichick, and it was Michael's turn to embarrass himself defending him and making excuses for the Cheat's last 4 years (no QB, a lot of close games, etc...). After just saying how Jets always make excuses and not accepting the same exact excuses from Jake.

The reality is that both Saleh and Belichick sucked without a good QB for a while now. Though Saleh of course sucks more. Bottom line: both should be out of a job now.

10. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I didn't see Lombardi make a single excuse for Belichick. Can't say the same for Asman with Saleh. I do think both Saleh and Belichick should be unemployed - BB because his time has come and gone, he's got nothing left to prove; RS because he had his chance and failed.

11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Was Asman just playing the devil's advocate, or is he really that ignorant of what makes a good team? Pressing the point about how they really needed a good QB and how that would've made all the difference, when it's clear that the problems are much deeper and structural than that indicates to me that maybe Asman isn't really any more knowledgeable than most fans.

In any case, Lombardi is right. The Athletic article exposed the rot in the Jets organization, and even if Rodgers stays healthy, and even if they make the playoffs, it's not sustainable...and that's best case. More likely is that Rodgers gets hurt again and they flounder again, and then Woody will finally clean house after we've wasted yet another season and have to go back to Square 1.

Being a Jets fan is like being Sisyphus.

ouchy and Since1969 like this.
  12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

We are on the same page on the Jets side, but for Belichick - not a single excuse? How about "I am not excusing the last 4 years, but ... they lost a of close games... If they had a better QB play they would have been in contention for play-offs..." The last one is IDENTICAL excuse to the main excuse Jake made for the Jets earlier. Not just similar, but identical, exact same one. So, yeah, we can absolutely say the same for both of them making excuses if we are willing to be objective without taking sides.

Belichick to me was a good coach in the past, and has nothing to prove (aside from whether he can win without Brady, which Brady proved on his side), but to me he was fired and not re-hired by merit. Father time is undefeated. Last 4 years have not been great, and in particular last year he is bottom 3 team in the NFL. If he gets another coaching job, it's based on the past accomplishments, not on anything he did recently, and he is old now. The fact he is better than Saleh even now unfortunately is not saying much.

Jets79 likes this.
  13. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

14. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yeah, just watched that video…Lombardi is just contradicting himself. It’s not ok for Saleh to lose with a shit QB but it is ok for Belichick to lose close games because of shit QB play. The even more damning view is that Belichick is also the GM and the reason he has shit QBs is because of his decisions there.

I get Belichick has the success and gets the benefit of the doubt and he has proven he’s a great coach. No question. Whereas Saleh has proven nothing other than he can build a good defense and use that to get a .333 winning percentage or whatever it is.

But I think losing Brady and watching Belichick suck ever since just shows that in today’s game, if you don’t have a QB, you aren’t going to win.

And yeah, you can look at the glass half full view and say look, Saleh won 7 games with one of the worst QBs in the league, but you can also just say he hasn’t had a single winning season and he’s been clueless on offense … in the end I think he deserves to be fired but we have Woody calling the shots.

Lombardi’s comments about culture and Woody needing to look at it are laughable…the problem is that WOODY IS THE PROBLEM. The culture is what it is because Woody HAS NO CLUE what he’s doing. He doesn’t know football well enough, and what’s probably even worse, he doesn’t know people well enough … he hasn’t built a successful business and so he doesn’t know how to identify, recruit, and cultivate talent. He’s gone through regime after regime, used different hiring processes each time, and yet in the end, he hires incompetent people…as evidenced by the fact that after they fail here they either don’t get hired anywhere else or if they do, they fail there too (Herm, Rex, etc.)

WOODY is the problem

15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

There's plenty of solid takes out there about how fucked the Jets are without resorting to listening to trash like Lombardi. Basically handed Randy Moss to Belichick as Raiders GM then found himself employed by Belichick a few years later. Fuck that guy.

stinkyB, BrowningNagle and Borat like this.
  16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I woke up today hoping - pointlessly, I know - that now that the SB is over, and having watched two actually good teams compete, that Woody would've said "Enough's enough!" and decided to fire Douglas and Saleh & Co. Actually, I must've still been in a dream state because I also thought that having won another SB that Andy Reid would announce his retirement as the Chiefs HC and accepted the offer to come and be the architect of the NY Jets. Apparently hope is almost impossible to extinguish. LOL.

But having watched that game, and seeing how far the divide is between the 49'ers, Chiefs, and us, if Woody was truly "mad", then what is he waiting for? Aaron Rodgers will not bridge this gap - chasm. I found myself wondering during the game as both defenses were getting to both QBs frequently, "How would Rodgers handle this?". Not well, I'm afraid, at least the 40 year old coming off Achilles surgery version. And I was in favor of getting Rodgers last year because at that time I figured that Douglas would most certainly fix the OL, and then he didn't, proven by just 5 plays in the regular season. Even if Douglas somehow turns the OL into a top 15 unit - almost impossible in one off season IMO - how would a unit like that fare against defenses like the 49'ers, Chiefs, Ravens, and the rest of the upper tier of teams, even with Rodgers? And you can be almost certain that Rodgers won't last the season behind a line like that, so then what?

So Woody, who's at fault for this state of affairs? Well begin with yourself for being football ignorant to not know how to hire the right people, and to fire them when you have proof they're not? And of course the GM and CS who have failed to improve the team. If you're truly "mad", then take action instead of mouthing worthless phrases: fire them all and get competent people in to finally fix things. And if you need help with this, come here to TGG and all number of people who are actually much smarter than you can help you.

ouchy, NCJetsfan and Borat like this.
  17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Lombardi is a POS

abyzmul likes this.