Aaron Rodgers is a Jet

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NOVAJET, Apr 24, 2023.

1. burf

burf Well-Known Member

#561 burf, May 8, 2023
    Last edited: May 8, 2023
    Brook! likes this.
  2. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Thank God indeed. . I'd rather engage in conjecture than lecture as a perjurer who cites a mass-murderer. .

3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I believe what you'd rather do is just be a pain in the ass.

You still have not explained why you think what anyone does has anything at all to do with what he looks like. Nope - you're just being a pest.

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Another from Albert Breer. Lots of exclusive inside accounts on this one.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/05/08/aaron-rodgers-trade-packers-jets-negotiation-daily-cover

Are they all working from a press release?

burf likes this.
  5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The AR acquisition is being milked for as much as possible before it actually hits the field.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  6. abyzmul

We're in an age where team-ups are normal and the championship trophies are now passed around the leagues freely. The Jets might have a prayer in such a world.

Not sure how to feel about that, except shitty.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  7. Br4d

I think that's just the NBA though where one or two players can make all the difference.

AR may make the Jets better (hoping it is so) but I doubt he can put them over the top. There are too many potential holes in the plan and all it takes is one or two of them to show up and we fail.

8. abyzmul

It's mostly the NBA, but it is happening to the NFL gradually. It was inevitable once gambling went legit.

9. Br4d

I just don't think team-ups are all that effective in a sport that has 22 men on the field and relies on just as many to do special teams and help prep and all that.

This is why QB's get paid after championships and as soon as the real years kick in they have trouble winning in the playoffs. I expect this pattern to become more pronounced and obvious now that QB contracts have gone through the roof again.

10. abyzmul

Contract schmontract. When the money becomes as outlandish as it is now, salary caps are as relevant as this weekend's coronation.

11. Br4d

It's still the depth and talent issues that will get teams.

You don't see the depth guys getting 100% increases across the board. They're still stuck at vet minimum while a few guys go to the stars.

There are bad contracts given out to vets all the time that are not through the roof but these tend to go to players who were stars or close in their prime and now they're getting paid.

12. abyzmul

Well obviously owners aren't going to pay every player like they are superstars, but they will now begin doing their best Jerry Jones impressions with the ones that are. Maybe it will open the door to one of these smaller leagues to pick up talent and "compete." I'm sure the NFL would like a dev league in between college and the pros, so they don't have to waste so much time evaluating scrubs.

13. Br4d

The Cowboys are a perfect example of why paying your stars through the nose doesn't win championships. They just never won the first one and then paid the price afterwards. They just paid the price beforehand.

14. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Can you elaborate on the potential holes in the plan? Besides injury which is predictably unpredictable.

I think as constituted, there is depth is almost every area, with the exception of LB

15. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

if chiefs don’t have mahommes do they win 2 sbs let alone one? No. Would eagles get far without hurts? No. Has bellicheat won without Brady? No. Did Brady win without bellicheat? Yes.

AR certainly puts jets over the top with stud wrs, amazing Def.

KingRoach and Lon Chaney like this.
  16. abyzmul

They are why it hasn't worked with the previous model of the NFL. All bets are off.

Buddy ups already work in the NFL, but you are right, you need a passer. It worked in Tampa Bay.

17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The NFL talent pool is also eventually going to dry up a lot quicker than it ever did in the past. Players are much more aware of the short and long term injury risks. They are also now becoming millionaires in college.

Why would someone like Mahomes play until they’re 40+ like Brady did? Two rings and he has a great chance to get one more before he’s 35 along with being one of the richest athletes of all time by that marker. Five more years doesn’t seem like it makes a whole lot of sense after that.

Br4d likes this.
  18. abyzmul

I don't see Mahomes quitting early, he's at the level where they risk life and limb for legend status. Mid level and journeyman players, I can see them cashing out after a decent payday, and with the money that is rolling in that might end up being closer to NBA levels for the same weak level of play. Those caliber of players are not as hard to come by as the superstars though. They are replaceable. Everybody likes money.

HomeoftheJets and KingRoach like this.
  19. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

• I actually think the Cowboys are the perfect example of a very strong team across the board but without a great QB ( You know, the kind that gets paid the big bucks but gives you a damned good chance to get to the promised land). That is the way with Allen, and Borrows, and Mahomes and Brady and now possibly AR among a few. Watch how much the QB in Philly gets on his next rodeo. Even those a tier below that haven’t earned that status like Watson and Jackson and soon Herbert will be strutting out under massive guaranteed contracts.
    • Like it or not, The NFL is all about money and showcasing super star QBs while wrapping the best team within the remaining dollars around around him.

20. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Jalen Hurts signed a 5 year, $255,000,000 contract…. Unless you meant his next contract.

LAJet likes this.