A TGG Good Sign?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bicketybam, Aug 23, 2021.

1. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

He has? Hes played one preseason game
    You actually believe that Day runs a pro offense that requires to read a D? Seriously. Fields ran a pro stye offense? LOL

2. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Trade down and trade Darnold, sign a veteran like Minshew. This is what most rebuilding teams do at the beginning. 3 firsts and 4 seconds next year is plenty to grab a QB while stocking your team with picks.
    OR
    Trade down and take Fields or Jones, while stocking your team with picks.

Both of these were a far safer course then spending it all on Zach.

#122 ouchy, Aug 28, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
  3. LF911SC

That you dont know what a one read offense explains why you think OSU runs a pro style offense.

What the fuck

4. LF911SC

Staying with Darnold was the last choice. They wanted Wilson, think he will be their FQB, you take it you dont say no to using the pick.
    Jets didnt like Fields or Jones, plus maybe an few pick, you weren't stocking up to move down a few spots.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  5. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I didn't suggest staying with Darnold.

It was presumed the Eagles would have given us pick 6, 38, & 69 this season and their 1,2 next year to swap down to 6. Our roster would be seriously better in that situation, both this year and next year.

6. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

This assumes that there's a FQB available every draft, that's just not the case. It's not as easy as simply deciding to pick one. Even the top candidates bust a large % of the time. If you really like a guy you need to pull the trigger and take him. You can't get too cute trying to have your cake and eat it too, that's how you end up perpetually mediocre because it's impossible to predict the future to that degree.

Brook!, Noam, LF911SC and 3 others like this.
  7. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Rebuilding teams spending a fortune on a QB is getting too cute. I had enough of the made up argument "there wont be good QBs next year" during draft season.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets have really liked a guy at least twice in the last 15 years, trade up for him and gotten burned.

It's not all about "you have to take your shots", it's also about you have to have the right people taking the shots and the Jets have not had that at any point since Parcells left town.

The Chiefs hit on Mahomes because they had the right people calling the shots. If the Jets had drafted Mahomes he would be on the way out of town right now with a rep as a great arm and the strong hint behind the scenes that he didn't have the head to go with that arm. That would be because the Jets didn't have Andy Reid to mentor him and the scouting department put crappy talent on the field around him.

Lon Chaney and James Hasty like this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

No one was offering 3 firsts and 3 seconds. But again, you're assuming you'd hit on all the picks you got which isn't a sure bet, and even if they all worked out, they likely would not have all worked out next year or maybe even the year after. To you and other Wilson doubters Zach was a risk, but to Douglas and Saleh who know a hell of lot more about football in general, and evaluating players, than you or I were convinced he would succeed. What we've seen so far is that they were 100% right. So you don't pass up a "sure thing" for a gamble.

If they traded back and took Jones, depending on where they picked him, they might've been burned at the stake. I liked Jones a lot, and actually rated him behind Zach as the #2 QB, but he's not mobile enough to have been able to succeed behind our unproven OL. We would've definitely needed to sign a decent vet to play and let him sit, and a decent vet would cost money, and doing that would delay the rebuilding process further.

If they took Fields, he likely would've done better than Jones in the short term because of his mobility, but he'd be polishing his running ability trying to survive behind our OL, and not being able to improve his passing skills, so in the long run, they would've delayed their rebuild again.

Maccagnan really screwed up by passing on Mahomes - and there's another instance where you likely would've advised trading down and taking players rather than a generational QB - but despite that Douglas would up with a "do over" with Zach. I'm not claiming that he'll be as good or better than Mahomes, but I believe he'll be in the conversation. Knowing what we know about Mahomes now, would you really pass on him if you had a do over?

Finding a FQB is one of the hardest things to do in football, and you need a FQB to consistently be a contender. The Jets haven't been able to find one since Pennington - and I'm being a bit generous there. Whatever "holes" they weren't able to fill because they passed up a few more premium picks will be more easily filled than filling the gaping cavern of not having a FQB.

Noam and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

Unless you thought Zack was head and shoulders above the rest (aside from Lawrence) and may be a generational talent. There were some signs from his tape that the Jets believed that to be the case - he was going through multiple reads, looking off safeties, throwing guys open, using multiple arm angles, had good mobility and feel for the pocket, and showing amazing touch (especially unusual for a young strong-armed QB). He also, according to the Jets involved in the interview process with him, showed tremendous recall of every play he'd been involved in (there were reports that they asked him about specific situations in games that happened years ago and he remembered all the details of each play, such as, the defensive coverage, the routes his receivers ran, the OL protections, etc.). That kind of recall can be huge for a young QB learning to read NFL defenses. Add his quick release and solid mechanics and I can see why they were so blown away by him. If you believed that Zack could be the next Aaron Rodgers, Dan Marino, Peyton Manning, Patrick Mahomes, etc., then you have to take him and that's absolutely the right move.

Remember that Joe D essentially said that there were 2 QBs that the entire coaching staff and scouting staff thought were truly exceptional (and according to Joe D every scout and coach made that determination independently because he told them not to discuss their conclusions with anyone else until the big meeting). That means their scouting and coaching staffs identified Zack (and, probably Lawrence) as having the potential to be hall of fame QBs. Now, that doesn't mean that they can't be wrong, but he was a top QB prospect and Chris Simms, who has a tremendous track record of recognizing QB talent. said Zack is a better prospect than Lawrence and Lawrence is generally seen as a generational talent, so, ergo, Zack, according to Simms, is also a generational talent.

If you have the option to get the next Dan Marino, Aaron Rodgers, etc. then you take him, no matter the cost.

Brook!, Noam, NCJetsfan and 1 other person like this.
  11. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No, it isn't. QB is the most important position. That's what teams do. You simply do not understand how the NFL works.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

Maybe I don't understand your reply, but I responded to your assertion that the "safest course" was to trade back. "Fortune favors the bold". You won't build a SB-contender playing it "safe". That said, taking heedless risks isn't the path either. But drafting a potential generational QB when you don't have to give up any assets to do so is the wisest move.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Zack Wilson has yet to play one regular season game.

Let's not put the kid in the hall of fame just yet.

As a Jet fan I am rooting for Zack and the team to succeed.

With that said I have my own thoughts about what we should have done and as an armchair GM I decided to share those thoughts here.

Over the next two seasons it will become clear how my ideas stack up against those of Jets management.

15. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

There Is no such thing as a one read offense. Do you know football? You okay?

I'm still waiting on your explanation of what a "one read offense" Is.

There are several option based offensive schemes. None of them are called "one read offense".

Maybe I'm that dumb. Please educate me. I'll wait.

I'm aware of:

Triple-Option (Wishbone based scheme)
    I-Offense ( I-formation based scheme)
    Spread Option (Spread offensive based scheme)

Are you referring to RPO's?

They absolutely run an NFL style passing attack at OSU under Ryan Day. If you want to dispute that, feel free to fucking watch that offense actually play the last two seasons. Hell, save yourself some time and google It even.

..or you could just keep talking out of your ass.

You know.. whatever you want to do.

#135 IIMeanDeanII, Aug 28, 2021
  16. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

They still bring up Mahomes years later…

#136 Jets81, Aug 28, 2021
  17. ColoradoContrails

I didn't say you don't have a right to your own opinion. I just disagreed with it. That's what this board is for, right?

Even though it was P.S., are you saying you can't see the difference between ow Wilson operates and any other Jets QB in memory? At the least, you have to acknowledge that even after 3 years Sam never looked that composed, P.S. or R.S.

But if you want to wait until it's proven beyond all doubt, that's your prerogative.

Noam and ouchy like this.
  18. ColoradoContrails

They still talk about how the Red Sox sold Babe Ruth for a pittance.

19. LF911SC

No one is saying there wont be good QBs next year but there might not be any when youre picking.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. LF911SC

200+ passes to his primary WR, 6 to secondary receiver/

Yes, there was a one read offense in Ohio

Feel free to watch that and fucking come up with some nonsense that it doesn't exist.

Or that youre a fucking wise ass talking shit. Im done, take your shitty OSU QBs and fuck off. Maybe this one is the one who makes it.