A TGG Good Sign?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bicketybam, Aug 23, 2021.

1. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Fields was In Georgia when Ryan Day was OC of Ohio State.

Ryan Day was HC After the 2018 season. Ryan Day was HC when Justin Fields became the starting QB of OSU In 2019.

So... I don't know what the fuck Is going on right now.

I feel like I'm In the twilight zone again on this board. How does this keep happening?

Y'all have the same internet tools as I do right?

I don't understand.

legler82 and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

What is the bold gibberish? Ryan Day never coached Justin Fields as the offensive coordinator. He was only his head coach at Ohio State. Talk about nonsense.

You're right. Let's not talk about the differences in offenses, let's use the blanket statement of "one read and go," without looking at anything as it relates to football schematics.

legler82 and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

I know what you're saying, but you're saying it vaguely that lead to the confusion. The offense (as I know you know) under Meyer did emphasize the quarterback being a runner and getting rid of the ball quickly. Day's offense emphasizes the quarterback being a passer who can run when they need to.

Meyer's offense was so friendly to the quarterback because there were swings and five yard stops galore.

4. IIMeanDeanII

Yeah. I assumed that certain things were understood. They weren't.

I was referring to his scheme from a "traditional" passing QB perspective. It was not that type of scheme. I do see how the way In which I worded It would be confusing though. Touche'

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  5. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

That you think that Fields didnt play in a one read offense, that Days offense is different in that respect is what the fuck is going on. Day was hired as the OC in 2017. But your point somehow is his O was dramatically different in 2019 & 2020. ok

Having the tools doesn't make you a mechanic. You are wrong, Fields and Day, one read. Move on

6. LF911SC

I know he was at Ga when Day was the OC., point was Day was running that offense before Fields came to OSU, before Day was the HC.

7. LF911SC

“The main concern is that Justin Fields stares down the primary target. He doesn’t look away from the primary target. He doesn’t process things as quickly as they want him to. During the Senior Bowl, I mentioned how there was one team that has broken down all of Justin Fields’ passes in 2020. They said that just seven times, he looked off the primary target. The other 200+ passes he threw to his primary target.”
    --PFN

OK, he wasnt coached that way, just worked out that way.

8. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

The biggest problem with going after Wilson was the opportunity cost.

Trading down and building around Darnold would have given us an arsenal of draft picks that could have accelerated our rebuild by building strength in other areas of weakness.

Many here were critical when I recommended grabbing Jameis Winston as a cheap option as out backup QB with upside.

Out from under Adam Gase's management Darnold has looked pretty good while Winston has earned the starting job with the Saints.

Zack Wilson is off to a good start and I am happy to see that as a Jets fan.

Our defense is another story as we gave up 31 points last night and lost two of our best pass rushers for the season.

At this point of the season I would say it is far to early to pat ourselves on the back for the Zack Wilson pick even if he looks good now.

I would love to be wrong but this just hasn't been our history so far.

ouchy likes this.
  9. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Fields, Jones, trading back, etc. is all in the past. We should be talking about Wilson. :)

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Oh cool. You ignored what you were egregiously wrong about. And instead of forming your own opinion on the player, you took the opinion of a draft website in order to validate your own.

11. Jonathan_Vilma

1 - you make a thread like this, what do you really expect?

2 - the most bitter angry person on the board is the one that brought Fields into the equation. The people who wanted Fields aren't the ones that are bringing him into these threads..

legler82, Lon Chaney and James Hasty like this.
  12. LF911SC

Dude, my point of this from the start is that Fields was a one read QB at OSU. If his primary target was covered he didnt go to a secondary WR, he either forced it to the primary or ran. For some unknown reason, I guess Fields was youre guy and you cant get over it, you decided to argue incessantly that this isnt true. You want to clown with who's offense it was, that Urban was more wide, Day isnt Urban whatever nonsense we can add to move the goalposts that fine, Im not wrong, you are. To argue this says you never watched Fields play. And the dumbest attempt at logic is that a website that charted Fields throws and confirmed what I said days ago and you've been fighting since somehow makes me wrong is beyond dumb.

James Hasty likes this.
  13. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

What did I expect? Certainly not a Fields conversation.

14. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

If you don't have a good QB you have nothing. Darnold was statistically THE WORST starting QB in the entire league during his first 3 seasons.

Enough of this nonsense about keeping him and trading down.

Acad23 and PJ4Ever like this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

Sounds good.

16. IIMeanDeanII

Again. No.

Urban Meyer was running that offense. Ryan Day was carrying out that vision.

Again. You are wrong.

Urban Meyer had a very spread heavy offense that required a dual threat QB for that system. It was a very college friendly system. Passing wasn't emphasized. Running heavily was.

If you actually watch Ryan Days offense as a HC. You'd see that a lot of the running concepts from Urban Meyers are still there. A lot aren't. Ryan Day is midzone heavy, with outside zone concepts as well. TE is more of a focal point for the offense as well.

When you get to the passing game though. It's night and day.

Ryan Day runs a very pro-style passing attack. It's got depth, multiple base packages, with a heavy dose of play-action under center.

It's a massive change In the passing game overall. It actually requires the QB to read a defense, react, and execute at an efficient pace.

Night and day.

You are still wrong.

17. Jonathan_Vilma

You obviously don't know that.

18. IIMeanDeanII

What In the actual fuck Is a "one read offense"?

Where do people get this shit?

All you have to do to debunk this non-sense, is actually open up your eyes and see It.

I don't need to stand at the hilltop screaming my argument because the proof Is In the pudding already.

Please though, can you break down this "one read offense" you speak of please?

How does It work?

Does that mean that every pass play is going to the primary. No matter what? That's the scheme design? Just be brain dead and throw It to whomever may be told to catch the ball on that play?

I don't get it.

#118 IIMeanDeanII, Aug 28, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
  19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You're assuming that all the picks gotten for trading down would've resulted in Day 1 starters. Not a safe assumption. But even if they did, what if Darnold continued to form? I rooted for Sam, but if you've watched Wilson and compare that to Darnold it's night and day/ Wilson plays the QB position as it's meant to be played, Darnold struggled to do that for 3 years, and apparently still is. So, if you decided after another lost year that Sam wasn't going to be your QB, how could you guarantee that you'd get a prospect as good as Wilson? You can't. Zach is as good a prospect IMO as anyone since Mahomes. So best case you'd have a few (2-3?) more starters, but no FQB, and in today's NFL you go only as far as your QB takes you.

I'm not saying what you suggest is crazy, but I disagree that it was the better approach, especially now having seen how Zach has performed against NFL competition.

20. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

There’s no correct answer here. There are two factors cash and picks. 3 years in we still had no idea what we had with Darnold. He might be a franchise QB or he might not be. This is a major failure for the Jets and the inept Gase regime.

if we had done as you suggest, then we would have been paying Darnold big bucks and we would have had to exercise the option. If Darnold turned out to be a franchise QB then we would have been paying him 25-30 million/year, leaving us less money for free agents and resigning our own players. If Darnold didn’t turn out to be a franchise QB, then we’d be totally screwed and still looking for our QB and if our new QB was a free agent we’d likely have been paying through the nose for him.

The safest course was to pick a new QB and reset the clock, so you’d get him for 5 years with the option, before you have to start paying him big time.

Incidentally, I saw an interview with Joe D a while ago where he said they were evaluating the draft QBs and there were only 2 QBs they liked more than what they had (Darnold). Zack was obviously one. The other was presumably Lawrence.

ColoradoContrails and PJ4Ever like this.