A Proposal Alternative for Onside kick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, May 22, 2020.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

That's part of the problem. Teams will set up plays to draw penalties. I think there would have to be some sort of provision in there that holdings aren't automatic first downs or something.

They could just force teams to declare that they're running an onside kick and back the players up to give them a running start again. I don't like the idea of changing it all too much. It's the trailing teams fault they're down. The league needs to stop trying to find ways to give them the game back.

It also doesn't make sense to let the receiving team overload a side but not the kicking team. Force equal numbers on each side.

Maybe they could add an extra timeout in the second half for teams to give them a better chance of getting the ball back?

#21 Jonathan_Vilma, May 23, 2020
    Last edited: May 23, 2020
  2. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

There's just too many moving parts to make the 4th and 15 work without being controversial. Like you said, teams would setup plays to draw automatic first downs. You could alter all penalties to only give teams yardage and a replay of down rather than an automatic first down. It just seems like too many rule additions/changes to make 4th and 15 "onside kicks" work.

I'd actually prefer the NFL alter special teams rules for onside kicks. Special teams is always an overlooked part of the game so I'd love to see how creative ST coordinators could get on onside kicks.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

How did they handle kickoffs?

4. NCJetsfan

Rather than give teams the ball with 4th and 15 at their own 25, why not just handle it like I think it's the Senior Bowl handles. In the 4th Qtr. if the trailing team scores and are still behind, they automatically get the ball 1st and 10 at their own 20 or 25 yard line. IMO that's better than the 4th and 15 nonsense.

5. Sec124DieHard

Sec124DieHard Well-Known Member

kicking team lines up ten yards in front of receiving team, except the kicker who kicks from where he normally would. However, the kicking team cant move until the returner touches the ball.

6. NCJetsfan

Thanks! That seemingly would give a huge advantage to the receiving team.

7. Sec124DieHard

Sec124DieHard Well-Known Member

not really, because it’s a lot of traffic in a condensed area, and the kicking team isnt gassed running the length of the field and running by the returner. Similar to the onside kick change in the NFL, it eliminates the full speed head on collisions. The other big difference is where the kicker kicks from. I believe it was the 20, which essentially eliminates the touchback

8. NCJetsfan

That makes it even more of an advantage for the receiving team! If the kicking team is kicking from their 20 and can't move until the receiver has caught the ball, chances are the receiver is going to get to at least the 40, if not the 50 yard line. Can the blockers run as soon as the ball is kicked, or do they have to wait for the receiver to touch the ball as well, and where are they lined up? The 40? The 50?

I don't see the kicking team being that gassed from running down the field normally. They are in shape, and most of them may only have to run down the field a few times a game. Having to run an extra 15-20 yards would make a difference, but again it should make a difference for the receiving team, not the kicking team. It may not work out that way in reality, but it certainly sounds like the receiving team has a big advantage. How long are the average kick returns? Where does the receiver usually catch the ball? Around the 10-12 yard line? If you have a fast returner at all, they should definitely be close to midfield before they encounter any defenders.

9. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Xfl kickoff- teams stand 5 yards apart, kicker kicks from his own 30 if the kick is not between the goal line and the 20 ...if it's short of the 20 or out of bounds you get the ball at the kicking teams 45, if it results in a touch back you get the ball at your own 35....96% of kickoffs are returned and its much safer

LF911SC and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

With today's rules, that'd never happen.Can't load one side up. No run up to the line to kick. With the new rules, the success rate has plummeted.

With a 4th and 15, the odds of successfully keeping the ball are much higher than onside kicks with the current rules. We had to change the kickoff rules because the old rules meant people becoming brain damaged.

LF911SC likes this.
  11. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

YES! If they change the rule to this it gives the referees WAY too much power to effect the outcome, or even the point spread results. I hate the idea.

azhar80 and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Radical idea: why not make every kickoff an onside kick?

Have the teams kick off from the 50 and say if the ball goes further than 20 yards downfield without the other team touching it it automatically goes to the receiving team at their own 30?

That ends most of the high speed contact on the play, incentivizes a very exciting play on the return and likely increases scoring again since the offense gets the ball either way at a better position than they normally would.

13. NCJetsfan

I'd like to know specifically how many players were seriously injured and/or suffered concussions on onside kicks. To begin with, they don't happen that often, and I don't recall EVER seeing a player hurt on an onside kick. The rules never should have been changed.

14. Jerryjeudy

Jerryjeudy Active Member

Instead of receiving a kickoff, teams should have the option of attempting to kick a field goal off the tee with no pass rush from the 35 yard line, which would be a 75 yard field goal

15. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Goalposts with movable uprights that can become very narrow for a four point attempt. I don’t really want this, but it’s actually better than some of the other changes being suggested. OK, maybe it’s not better but it’s certainly whacky.

16. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Jeez......did I just hear on ESPN that NFL teams are 0-104 in expected onside kick attempts the past 2 years???
    I didn't realize it was that bad. You have to do something to change that

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  17. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

From the Owners perspective, it's all about keeping butts in the stands as long as possible.

Seeing fans head for the exits in the 3rd qtr (or TVs being turned off) is never a good thing.

Keeping games close is the #1 objective.

18. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I was thinking about it a bit more. I think the biggest issue I have with the idea is that high powered offenses like the Ravens, Chiefs or Saints would try this regularly, not just in a comeback bid. It could lead to more blowouts, and really change the whole game. I’m glad it got turned down.

19. NCJetsfan

Well the rules changes they've made certainly are not a step in the right direction.

KWJetsFan likes this.
  20. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

The conversion rate of 4th and 15 attempts is over 3 times higher than the success rate of inside kicks attempted over the same time period . Since 2018.
    It helps by giving the team a new set of downs. Same as an inside kick.

LF911SC likes this.