A Positive Viewpoint on the Jets' Future

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Nov 27, 2020.

1. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

NC fan, there is talk that this year's FA class could be much better than in past years -- no longer team castoffs that they don't want but good players cut because of the Covid-19 reduced salary cap. This could be a chance to get quality in the LB corps and OL that you don't normally see.

Agree ?

BudJet, barfolomew and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

yes the immortal PZ - who booed the marino pick by the dolphins cause he couldn't figure out who would coach him down there.

LOL.

JetsKickAss likes this.
  3. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

football fortunes can turn quickly. it doesn't mean sustained success. even with tuna often good years were followed by bad because the good years were often helped from a weaker schedule that resulted from the prior poor year

i can easily imagine a rapid turn around for us becoming a winning team next year. turning into a winning franchise with year after year of sustained success, is a different beast. you need a whole organization to do that. You need guys like Dante scarnecchia turning "who's that" lineman into serious players. you need a GM who not only can spot talent but knows how to build a team within the confines of a cap etc etc.

who wouldn't want the next stud QB -- it's such a critical position, but we need to get off the savior mentality. the whole team (with rare exception) needs improvement, depth

being in the northeast there's a lot to be said for having a team that can consistently run the football

4. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Super interesting topic...of course, so many variables that it’s impossible to predict...

but...that won’t stop us trying!

I don’t know enough about specific college players or coaches as I don’t really watch a lot of college football, but we can talk at a higher level.

at this point, with a high pick (and more especially if we get the TOP pick), with the overall quantity of high picks we have, including two first rounders in the next two drafts, and the amount of cap space we will have, we SHOULD be able to turn this around pretty quickly...say 2 to 3 years. We have the resources in picks and cap space...it will come down to JDs ability to identify and acquire talent, identify the right coach, and then of course luck with respect to injuries. Those are some significant “if’s” I know, but we are in a great spot.

I’ll say this...I feel better with JD running this process than with any other GM we’ve had going back to Parcells. He’s by no means perfect, but he is already light years better than Idzik and Mac. I know this...even with these resources, we’d STILL shit the bed if it were those clowns running the show. Idzik had a similar opportunity and shit the bed with god awful drafting, and Mac wasted premium picks on non premium positions, where even when he hit on the player (Adams), it made ZERO difference to winning games because the position doesn’t have that kind of impact.

so if JD is as good as advertised, then we should be much improved next year, and competitive in the next couple of years.

I do think he will focus on key areas, firstly QB with the top pick...I see no way we’d pass on TL if we get the first pick. The real question will be if we end up with the second pick....will he take Fields or one of the other QBs, or will he trade out and stick with Darnold and give him a better coach and team? Not sure on that.

but after QB, I do think he’ll prioritize OL and pass rush, then I’d go CB and WR after that. I think we can find some good help at WR in free agency....certainly easier to find WRs in free agency than it is pass rushers. We’d probably have to draft pass rush.

so if we get TL, sign a WR and OG in free agency, that can free up that second first round pick to go best available at CB, pass rush, WR, etc

we can do this....it’s all on JD....but he’s got the bullets

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Theoretically sure but I’m not sure there is a player with the same type of situation. Osweiler was unique, even players like Cousins have too much upside for a team to trade a 2nd just to get rid of him. I’ll take a look and see if anyone jumps out to me as fitting this profile

6. JetsKickAss

That's not a bad way to go....I'd rather take on a s*** contract and get a #2 draft pick then overspend on FA and take someone else's leftovers that 4 times out of 5, stink.

I'm actually surprised this hasn't been done more.....the success rate of #2 picks is pretty good, you can usually get a quality player there if you know your draft.

7. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Well there are a couple of reasons it’s not done more, but the big one is most teams don’t sign contracts as bad as the one the Texans signed Osweiler to. They had a pretty good team, a pretty bad cap situation, and were in position to draft a QB in 2017 so to move on they needed to free up the space on their roster.

Handing out a contract that is so bad that you need to trade away a 2nd round pick just to get away from it doesn't happen that often.

JetsKickAss likes this.
  8. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Gee whiz this subject beside being BS is the same that has been posted since 1969 what a waste of time. Check out the archives of the TGG to see earlier years :mad:

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If there is such a thing as "can't miss," then Lawrence definitely is. If there's not, then he's about as close to it as any player could get or has been. He is one of the top QB prospects of all time. He's a better prospect than Brees, and I was a big Brees fan. That doesn't mean that he will wind up better than Brees, but he has a good chance of it, and certainly a better chance than Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield or any other QB you can name aside from maybe Mahomes or Peyton Manning.

JetsKickAss likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

I hope that you're right, but that sounds too optimistic, even for me. Don't forget that there will be quite a few new players next season; the team may be learning new offensive and defensive systems, and may have a new STs coordinator; that Mosley hasn't played in two years for all intents and practical purposes; that if it's a rookie HC he will have a learning curve, and if it's one of the collegiate HCs, he will have a learning curve adjusting to the NFL and getting to know opponents.

Hopefully, the win total will be more like 6 or 8 wins, than 4, but I just can't see 10, much less 11. It's certainly possible, but everything would have to go right, from the HC hire and his hire of his new staff, to FA, to the draft, to some of our players becoming MUCH better under the new HC than they were under Gase, Herndon reverting back to the form of his rookie season, no major injuries, and every break going our way. I think that's just too much to expect.

JetsKickAss and MaximusD163 like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

I definitely agree, but remember that we will have additional 1st and 3rd round draft picks which will mean the rookie salary pool will be larger, Douglas will want to save some for during the season and the future, and players are still going to be expensive. They may be cheaper because most teams won't have much if any salary cap space, but then again, because we have more cap space than most teams, and because of our record and history, we may have to pay a premium to get players to sign with us, even with a new HC, and we won't have Lawrence yet. If we don't have the #1 pick, that could affect the HC we hire and also affect whether FAs are willing to sign with us. We may be able to get a few bargains, but I'm not going to hold my breath on that.

I would be surprised if Douglas signs a LB in FA. I think he will have these as priorities: OL, WR, Edge, CB, and maybe S and/or TE. I would imagine that he'd bring Hewitt back. Whether he targets an OLB could depend upon what happens at the other positions and how well Huff does between now and the end of the season.

#91 NCJetsfan, Dec 4, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    Jets79 and JetsKickAss like this.
  12. JetsKickAss

Lawrence IMO is can't miss....I'll be watching him closely the rest of the year (am I jinxing us ? :D).....I've followed the draft for over 40 years, the only other guys with his hype were Elway, Jeff George (!), Manning, and Luck (and RGIII to an extent because of the trade-up).

13. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Go back to the year when we had 4 yes 4 No 1 picks :mad:

14. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I think the off season begins with re-signing Fatukasi and Maye. We can use Sam's 9.7 million after trading him to resign Maye. Both Maye and Fatukasi could be part of the building blocks of the future. I am assuming and might be wrong here on Fatukasi that we can tender him as a restricted FA this year? If the Jets add an additional WR and a guard in FA and draft another OL with one of the 1st 3 picks this team is not looking that bad. The DL with Fatukasi, Q and Myers is pretty solid. Davis and Maye should be adequate to abover average safeties. Mosley returning fully healthy should help the interior of the D. The defense needs another CB and a an edge rusher but isn't that always the case. An OL with Becton, Thuney and someone like Trey Smith could suddenly be very good. Mimms, Crowder, one of the top 4 FAs, and a draft pick could suddenly look pretty good. Herndon with a coach that does not hate TEs and who is willing to let a TE run deep routes and play in the slot like Herndon did in 2018 can do a Gesicki and suddenly become relevant. Add 4 or 5 good pieces in next years draft as well as 3 contributing FAs and this team looks pretty promising. But it all hinges IMO on getting Trevor Lawrence. The number one pick attracts not only the top coach but the FAs. I really want to be bullish on the future that somehow this time Charlie Brown will get to kick that football. But it all begins with Trevor and I do not trust the Jets to do the right thing here and lose all 5 games. We have 5 weeks to screw this up and I expect nothing to be easy. If we secure the top pick then and only then will I start to feel optimistic for the future.

#94 Noam, Dec 5, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
    gajetsfan and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree with everything here, except I disagree that it all hinges on getting Lawrence. Maybe Lawrence is really head and shoulders above anyone else, I haven't personally made up my mind on that, but the REAL key is getting rid of Gase. Without that, nothing else will matter, including Lawrence.

16. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I agree on Gase but I am going by the assumption that his firing has already been determined. Without Gase being fired there is no reason to hope.

I know you have been looking at other QBs and I have enjoyed your posts but I would still argue that the difference between Lawrence and the rest is a huge chasm of a gap. That having the number one pick will make the Jets head coaching job the most attractive on the market and one that is attractive to FAs as well. Give us the number 2 pick and I believe it will much harder to sell HC candidates and FAs on the Jets. If we are going to move on from being the same old Jets it begins with the Jets finally getting nice things and getting lucky enough to land the generational QB prospect. not the number two pick.

REVISion likes this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I too always respect your posts. I know I'm in the minority here by not already having anointed Trevor as "generational", and it's mostly because I just haven't seen enough of him to decide. But I will say that so many highly hyped QBs coming from big programs fail to live up to their hype. A lot of that has to do with them playing in almost perfect conditions as far as coaching and talent around them, and quite a few "patsies" in their schedule to make them look their best. I think this is why so many of these "can't miss" guys actually do miss - they've rarely been tested, certainly nothing like they will be in the pros, even against teams as bad as the Jets.

Look at Field. Of course it was just one game (so far), but when he was finally tested he struggled. To his credit he didn't quit and OSU finally won, but that's a yellow flag if not a red one. It's easy to see when a really good QB makes all the plays he should, but I want to see QBs who make the plays no one even thought of. Can Lawrence do that? IDK. Again, I'd like to see more of him (and the others) before I say for sure who they should take. I DO know that Sam isn't the guy.

Noam likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

19. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

based on the friday israeli article that not only have extraterrestrial aliens contacted the us government , but are working with them,

they should be required to prove their superior expertise by taking over ownership of the Jets , they might already be familiar with gase (eyes)?

they can always easily deal with criticism from champ.:confused::cool:

20. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

One problem is Buffalo and Miami have already done what we hope to do successfully, They have the coaches, the qbs,and it seems the front offices We need to be excellent just to keep up.

Jedi mind tricks likes this.