A Positive Viewpoint on the Jets' Future

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Nov 27, 2020.

1. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

It's really all contingent on getting the 1st overall pick IMO. Douglas is doing a good job of drafting so far, but to get to where we want to go, we need a QB. And we need to start building around one that is coming to the team on a rookie contract. If we lose out on that #1 pick and Lawrence, we're staring mediocrity in the face for quite a while, as we'll have to go out and severely overpay whatever mediocre QB is available in free agency to come in here and try to scrape and claw his way into a playoff race, taking away from what can be spent to actually fill the many holes that this team still has.

But, as we know, the Jets can and will find a way to blow this. They're going to win a game or two down the stretch. Most likely, the dagger will come with back to back victories in the final two games of the season, where normally we'd be ecstatic to end the season with a defeat of the Patriots, but this one will be the one that costs us a chance at the best QB prospect of this generation.

Jets79 and Noam like this.
  2. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Was a good read, thanks for posting. In the end, if JD can draft successfully, the Jets will turn things around. He can’t fire the coach or replace the owners, but he can load the roster with talent. If he does that he’ll be the best Jets signing in decades.

3. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

Parcells had one good draft, 2000, the rest were not good at all. What he was good at was FA and building his type of team with winning culture! Even his bad drafts, we were a winner!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Sack exchange

I say no to fields... all in on TL. trade down at that point. If we want QB we can draft later in 1st.

5. Sack exchange

Getting better and building winning culture has nothing to do with getting #1 pick! TL won’t make much of difference if we keep our toxic culture f losing. We just need to get good value with our picks and hit on the top ones, and few later ones to build the foundation for the future. FA will loom large as well, any hitting on few UDFA wouldn’t hurt.

Imagesrdecieving likes this.
  6. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Nice article, thanks!

If we get the #1 overall, JD will no doubt 'listen to offers'. But to me the deciding factor will be the rookie contract that comes with Trevor. Even if the team with Sam and a bounty of picks off the Trevor trade could be a good team, maybe even a tad better than a rookie Trevor team, I think the $25m for four years (Trevor) will tip the scales over $25m PER year for Sam. Sam and the draft picks simply won't be 'that much better' to warrant the loss of cap space that comes from keeping Sam.

Same can be said if we end up with the #2 pick (Fields). Again, Sam plus the draft picks we'd get for trading out of #2 just won't be as valuable as the $100m+ in cap space over the next 4 seasons it will cost to keep Sam.

So really, the only way Sam stays (which would make keeping Gase at least a possibility) is if Sam wins enough games to knock us completely out of the new rookie QB sweepstakes.

I can see Sam/Gase winning one, maybe even two games but I don't see them winning enough to save their jobs on the Jets.

7. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

The dude found Jason Fergeson in round seven and Jason Fabini in round four.

Randy Thomas drafted in round two was a pro bowl player.

Dedric Ward and Leon Johnson were nice players.

You really, really need to think about what the man did for this team in every phase of management and coaching before you slander him again.

8. Sack exchange

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyj/draft.htm#supp_draft

Take a look for yourself, 97-99 drafts not good. 98 was not one good player! And he traded Hugh Douglass for second, that was boose, a total bust. Key shin trade was much better. Trading 1st pick in 97 not too great either.

Parcells deserves full credit for turning around the Jets for a decade or more, but not from his drafts. Which helped a little, esp the 2000 draft, where he had 4 picks in first, hitting nicely on them, best pick probably being Cole’s in 3rd!

You are right about Parcells one of the best things to happen to jets franchise.

JetsKickAss and Noam like this.
  9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I love this thread and the responses, because it is true! The Jets' future looks really good right now. So good, in fact, that I am on board with completely tanking the final 6 games in 2020. It is a short term sacrifice for long term success. I want Trevor Lawrence on the Jets, but the truth is the Jets will be in good shape to compete in 2021 no matter what, as long as Douglas continues to do his job right.

Everyone has pointed out why the future is bright and how to get there in this thread and that article: Fire Gase. Hire a competent Head Coach, that hopefully Joe Douglas gets a large say in choosing. Sign some key free agents. Have a solid 2021 draft, then go into 2021 a completely new team with a new attitude.

I even like the optimism that the Jets may win a couple games to end the season. It is believable because they are playing hard and seem to really care about trying to win. That is bad for the tank, but good to see as many of these guys will be on the roster going forward into the future.

Also, I think there is a slightly good feeling about hitting rock bottom, as odd as that sounds. A sigh of relief that we have made it through as tough of a season as you can, and we can start to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

NCJetsfan, Noam and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Maybe not. If Fields is rated somewhat close to Lawrence, things could still work out, or although less likely, Douglas could find a QB in another round. It happened with Brady and others, although in a different era. There's much focus/emphasis on QB now. Heck maybe even Morgan could turn out to be an above average QB. Stranger things have happened. Whatever, I trust JD to either find our new QB.

11. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

Agreed. But we we could also just end up with the 1st overall in a draft with a generational prospect for once. I am so on edge about these last six games because they're in the driver's seat to make it happen. Being a Knicks and Jets fan has been an unmitigated sh*t show of irresponsible draft positioning for awful teams in the 3.5 decades since Ewing was drafted.

Please man, not again. PLEASE. Get the top pick in a draft that has a transformational prospect at the top.

[​IMG]

Noam, ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. NCJetsfan

I wholeheartedly agree. I want the #1 pick for several reasons. First, I really, REALLY want Lawrence on the Jets. Second, I want the 1st pick in each subsequent round in which we have a pick. Third, the Johnsons deserve an 0-16 record. Maybe that will wake them up and cause them to cede power to Douglas, but Woody will probably just blame Chris. Fourth, that should guarantee that Gase is gone. I don't see any way that the Johnsons could try to justify keeping Gase for another year, even to themselves. Fifth, it should serve as great motivation next year for the players who are still here to bust their ass and ensure that they don't have to go through that again.

Excellent use of Frank!

#32 NCJetsfan, Nov 28, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  13. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Agree...most important thing is to get Gase out. He sucks. He sucked at Miami. He sucks here.

I still can’t believe that 3 other teams, all of whom have won more games than us and have coaches with better resumes than Gase, have already said enough is enough. Yet we are 0 and fucking 10 and our owners are just fine to continue with Gase.

if that’s not a big huge Fuck You to the fans then I don’t know what is

14. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Fields may go on to be a good, maybe even great NFL QB, but I think the Jets need to land that guy that everyone in the league looks at as THAT guy. If they can land Lawrence with the #1 pick, then they'll essentially have two other first round picks (Seattle's pick as well as the #33 overall pick) to immediately surround him with help that, along with a free agency period that could be bolstered by the fact that the Jets are sitting there with the #1 pick and Lawrence waiting in the wings. Lawrence's presence could help get this thing turned around more quickly, I think.

Noam likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

I definitely want Lawrence. I was just making the point that all is not necessarily lost, and the Jets doomed to mediocrity if we don't get Lawrence. We certainly deserve him after all these dreadful years.

16. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

not to discredit Tuna too much because he did a lot of great things, but he also traded rights for what was the Orlando Pace pick for James Farrior and for whatever it was worth Peyton manning wasn't interested in joining a coach fresh off of a SB visit

then there's the whole Belicheck thing where he didn't want to be coaching with Tuna looming over his shoulder

17. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Great read. Optimism or pessimism based on past performance is meaningless. Good players win and bad players struggle. If Joe Douglas gets more talent on the roster and is able to stick to his plan we will see many more wins in the future. Go Jets!

18. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

To even fathom passing on Lawrence is so ridiculous that it’s not worth talking about.

JetsKickAss likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

20. NCJetsfan