A Pats fans breakdown of the Jets v. Pats

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MikeDevito, Aug 18, 2011.

1. MikeDevito

MikeDevito Active Member

Lol

I don't think its the Jets line is so much better, we just have some darn good starters. The Jets did sack Brady 5 times last year with the same O-Line this year.

2. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

Moe, Shemp and Curly were unavailable for comment.

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

This is correct in reference to the 2010 season, although the frequency of 4-5 receiver sets was not very high across the league, if Football Outsiders got their numbers right. Only 6 teams used these formations more than 10% of the time. The Jets apparently used them 3% of the time, half of the 6% that the Patriots utilized.

This could be explained away that those teams opted more sets with a receiving TE lined up tight even on receiving downs, but one of the comments in that linked article makes a point that I hadn't realized:

4 teams had greater than 10% frequency of use in all 4 categories (Chi, GB, NO, Pit). All 4 made the playoffs. 3 of them played on Championship weekend. 2 of them played in the Superbowl.

3 of the 4 teams that played in the conference championship games averaged 10% or higher in in the 0-1 , 2, 3, and 4-5 receiver set categories. It's hard not to come to the conclusion that the film on those offenses were so balanced in play selection that it was difficult to game plan in the post season.

Combine that with the Jets bringing Tom Moore in and trying to spread a medium salary across the receiver corps, I think they're probably going to teeter toward the more complex end of the spectrum this year. Or at least more balanced in play selection. That may be just fan hope in my case, though.

#83 abyzmul, Aug 19, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  4. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The teams match up pretty well. The only clear advantages are at QB for NE and at CB for the Jets. That's why the matchup is so good. When Brady is precise and desisive NE wins when he is a bit uncomfortable our CB's win.

5. patfanken

patfanken Banned

That's all I was looking for. Our opinions may differ a slight bit, but neither is far off the mark. My response was more to Coach K, who seemed to think the difference between the 2 OLs is so great that its not worth discussing. :rolleyes:

6. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

"I'm not sold on Wilkerson"

Great analysis.

7. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Reality is the Jets allowed 28 sacks and we averaged 4.4 YPC. The Pats allowed 25 sacks and averaged 4.3 YPC. If Brady was my QB I would sacrifice .1YPC for less pressure all day long.

#87 Biggs, Aug 19, 2011
  8. patfanken

patfanken Banned

This is very interesting stuff, thank you, Aby

Last season I don't think the Pats had the personnel to put 4 WRs on the field as much as they'd have liked. After Welker and Branch, the Pats only had Tate, who was very inexperienced having missed most of of his senior year in college and all be 2 weeks of his rookie year with the Pats.; and Edelman, who while a nice prospect was only in his 2nd year EVER of playing WR (he was a QB in college) With their growing experience and the addition of Ocho, BB SHOULD be able to use the 4 and 5 WR sets as often as he wants.

But, I also think the additions of Gronk and Hernandez will limit the number because, they are just that good, that it will hard to keep them off the field.

And unfortunately (at least from my perspective) getting Moore was a coup. There isn't a better mind in the league in how to effective use 4 man sets. He, McDaniel, and Martz are the best

#88 patfanken, Aug 19, 2011
  9. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

Should we make our position head-to-head rebuttal using similar retarded logic as that guy? I'll start it up..

QB- Clearly goes to the Jets.. Sanchez has 4 playoff wins the last 2 years to Brady's 0. Nuff said.

RB- Goes to the Jets.. Woodhead is a huge part of their RB corps and the Jets CUT him.. he isn't good enough to be a Jet, we have 4 great RB's and they have our trash! LOL!

WR/TE- Jets. I'm not sold on Gronkowski, Hernandez, Branch, or Ocho as threats.

OL- Jets. They're going to have to start a rookie and a guy who held out last year almost all year. Shaun Ellis destroyed them in the playoffs. EASY!

Front 7- Jets all day every day. Vince Wilfork is finished.. I'm not sold on the rest of their guys. Their LB's stink, ours are the best. Westerman >>> All Patriots.

DB's- Revis alone >>>>> All Pats DB's put together.

Coaching- Rex takes this one.. again, 4 playoff wins the past 2 years to Bill's 0. Rex 3-2 record head to head against Bill. Pretty simple!

10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I've been kind of trying to remain objective about the overall picture of what Belichick is doing with his offensive personnel over the years, and I think the worst thing that happened for the Jets in recent years is that New England found the prototypical tight ends for what Belichick has been targeting since the early 2000s, and missing most times. And both of them were immediate producers.

That's deadly, because while Rex has been counteracting the NFL's endless rules changes to feature the passing attack - by innovating the 46 defense to accommodate multiple different personnel formations and have the coveted free blitzer - Belichick has been designing an offense to attack the middle of the field and treat the hashmarks as a boundary, lessening the impact of the superior press man coverage that the 46 philosophy is reliant on.

Hate to say it, but I think Belichick might be more talented innovating of the offensive side of the ball. And he's not a slouch on defense. I hate him.

By the way, don't call me Aby, ken. My grandmother called me Aby once. Once.

#90 abyzmul, Aug 19, 2011
  11. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Nice post.

12. patfanken

patfanken Banned

Excellent post, Mike.....IF what you were going for was satire and comedy. Nuff said. :rolleyes:

13. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Can you do it in your best Joe Piscipo voice?? :wink:

14. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Best sarcastic post I've seen in a loooonnnggg time!

The only one you missed is that our new top gun weapon, Kerley, will return every kick off and punt to the house, thus relegating the entire Offense to Tahiti for the season. :rofl:

15. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

hahaha...well done, MH.

16. Coach K

Coach K New Member

then you had to dig a hole?

"what like ive never fuckin dug a hole before?"

17. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

They have better kickers/we have better returners/coverage.

18. MikeDevito

MikeDevito Active Member

Agreed but the fact he thought they were better in both

19. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

Pats fans are retarded in almost all aspects of life, it should come to no surprise that this is one of those instances...

20. boxorox

boxorox Banned

While I agree that BB's tight end innovation is brilliant and potentially troubling to defenses designed to trump your typical modern NFL offense, I think that there may be an interesting disparity in relative strengths which started to materialize early in last years head to heads. Unfortunately we were absent even a serviceable nickel back then losing Leonhard for the second game threw a wrench in the works. The Pats and later other teams started to expose our secondary depth issues by running 4 and 5 wr sets and punishing us with the 2 te packages.

Let Wilson mature this year to a solid nickel back (doesn't seem like it's asking too much after the other night) and if the pass rush perks up even moderately from last year (which it should) I just think everybody in the world including the Patriots are going to have a hard time moving the ball anywhere. Maybe the 2nd TE will create a matchup problem a decent amount and get their yards, but where is the rest of it coming from? You can't throw the ball at Revis. Can't do it. A couple times a game just to make sure he isn't taking a nap over there. Cromartie? You've got a fighting shot sometimes I guess in 1 on 1 but if we're not too focused on helping out the nickel back he might even get a little extra help and that's the end of that area. I don't care how good the TE's are when you cross off #1 and #2 to start every play using only 2 or 3 guys most of the time the offense is going to run into major problems. Especially if there is no glaring weakness anywhere else. We just had a couple holes last year that threw a wrench in the works, but if you make a couple of mildly optimistic assumptions about a couple key young players we're going to have a lot to scream about this year on defensive drives, including against the Patriots.

Now look at Sanchez and the offense. Their wide receiver moves indicate they're ready to let him start throwing on first down, probably decreasing the wildcat and letting him try to throw to all of his options when he wants instead of the regular season training wheels. He has shown for two consecutive years that he's going to step up when it counts, now he should be ready to step up on a good amount of the regular times. If our offense goes and puts up points against the league like they should finally, I don't see the Patriots being able to forcibly shut it down with their D very easily. I think that the relative advantage of the passing game favors us more often than not.