A Pats fans breakdown of the Jets v. Pats

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MikeDevito, Aug 18, 2011.

1. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

The stuff with our OL, not just with this article, is killing me. I did not know losing Rob Turner would make our OL medicore. Someone should have told his agent before the season. Incredible stuff. And the Sanchez bashing, well it everywhere. Face it, everyone hates on the Jets and looks for reasons to do so. I love it!!!!

2. ........

........ Trolls

It's not an article. It's some douchebag's post on a Patriots messageboard.

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

You said it best brother.

4. patfanken

patfanken Banned

Mike, Kerley could very well be an excellent slot receiver for the Jets. From all I have read, you have every reason to believe it. But all that is POTENTIAL. Even the top first round WR picks often take a year or two to develop into that potential. I have to believe the same is likely to be the case for Kerley. Yes you will get some production from him, but it seems like you are expecting him to come right out of the womb a fully formed adult.

I'm just saying that its not great that the Jets are going to have to rely on a kid like Kerley to be a significant contributor in his first year, and unless or until Plex can prove that he can be that 3rd guy, Kerley is the guy. Unless you pick up another FA before its all said and done.

Turner is an interesting guy. I have always wondered why he hasn't done anything in the league. He is a guy who seemingly has all the physical tools.

5. MikeDevito

MikeDevito Active Member

True but we can speculate all we want on Plax, I guess we will have to see.

I don't think we need another WR from FA since we need more stable backups on the O-line

6. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I totally agree. Not so sure that was done here but if it was shame on us. Rooting for injuries to any player is not only bad form, it's utter ignorance. These are people trying to make a living, like any of us, particularly someone like Woody, fighting to stay employeed by overachieving and giving it 1000%. You can rest assure that classy jet's fans in this forum are above that, and we have plenty of them.

As for the competion by position, that is worth 2 cents. In my opinion it boils down to these factors:
    a) Which team wants it the most and shows it on the field
    b) Which team has the better game plan on that given day and is able to adjust during the game
    c) Which team makes the least mistakes
    d) The only thing you could compare is this - was my team OL better than your team DL and vice-versa. We will know soon enough

7. Johnny English

Johnny English Well-Known Member

Essentially I agree, but there are some players for whom I will feel absolutely no sympathy in the case of serious injury (Danny Woodhead isn't one of them).

8. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Let this be a lesson to you guys:

Don't consume too much of that clam chowder. Mercury poisoning is a terrible thing to waste your mind on.

9. bucknasty

bucknasty Member

10. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I said more depth in the coaching staff, I think while BB may be the best coach overall we have a better staff.

Good post though, we both have really good teams that should compete for the top spot in the AFC.

11. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

12. Calikid

Calikid New Member

You might be correct on the coaching front. BB seems to like newer coaches lately. I do worry that he's trying handle too much.

13. Coach K

Coach K New Member

i stopped reading when he said NE has a better OL

also without Tom Brady their running game would be almost non existant

14. patfanken

patfanken Banned

That makes sense, especially since the Jets offense rarely uses more that 3 WRs at any time.

BTW - one more point of Kerley. The best slot receiver in the game is, of course, Wes Welker. It should be noted that it wasn't until his 4th season in the league, as Dolphin did Welker put up his first significant production numbers. Learning to be an NFL WR in this era of sophisticated passing attacks isn't easy. You just have to look at how hard its been for Ocho. Its going to take until mid season before he's truly comfortable in this offense. OTOH, I'm guessing the Jet offense is a simpler one.

15. patfanken

patfanken Banned

That might be true. BB seems to like taking his coaches through the system, from gofers, to quality control coaches (film break downs) to assistants to the assistant coaches, etc. But I think one of BB's great strengths is how well he trains coaches.

Another item I have always found interesting. The Pats have the fewest assistant coaches in the league. I always wondered why.

16. nyjunc

he doesn't train them to become HC's b/c those haven't worked out:grin:

17. patfanken

patfanken Banned

That's a pretty dismissive remark, coach. Especially since you offer no further information to back that up. Is it your contention that Slauson is better than Mankins, or Hunter is better than Volmer. Do you really think that D'Brick,Mangold and Moore are THAT much better than Light, Koppen, and Connolly??????

Not that it matters Light has been to more pro bowls than the Brick, and the Pats OL was just honored with the Madden award for being the best OL in the league in facing pressure.

Of course that doesn't mean anything, but it certainly belies YOUR notion that the Jet OL is SOOOOO much better than the Pats OL that its not even worth a discussion.

18. rholt168

rholt168 Active Member

Well hot damn, they won the Madden award. That ends the discussion. Patriots 2012 Super Bowl Champs. Seasons over.

19. nyjunc

Light has played 5 more years and Brick's Pbs are the last 2 years, Light has made one in the last 3. PBs are a popularity contest anyway, I think our Ol is better but you guys have a good OL. It's not outrageous to suggest NE is as good but Mangold, Brick and Moore give us the edge.

20. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

It never ceases to amaze me how much people put stock into the pre-season. It really means absolutely nothing. Most teams, also, only run very vanilla schemes. Case in point...2008 Detroit Lions pre-season they went 4-0 beating the Giants, Bills, Bengals and Browns. Of course we all know how that season ended...0-16.

I'm actually quite amazed that NE is running up the score like they are this pre-season. This is most un-Belichicken like and is exposing their schemes to 4 extra worthless weeks of tape and scrutiny. I watched the game and there was nothing vanilla about it. Very interesting indeed.

As some pointed out here. It's the ultimate team game and while having top talent is always good to have...a team with good talent but operates as a well oiled machine is far more dangerous.