A Pats fans breakdown of the Jets v. Pats

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MikeDevito, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Rex's Sweater Vest

Rex's Sweater Vest Active Member

The only way to discuss which team has better players at each position is to imagine your players on the other team, so with that said..

QB - Patriots

RBs - Jets, if we swapped running backs I would be terrified at how our run game was going to hold up during the season while at the same time smh at the fact that belichick has a bruiser in greene, and LT to catch passes from brady out of the backfield coupled with Conner crushing people and mcknight and powell.

WRs - Jets slight edge. Brady to Holmes and Brady to Burress > Brady to Ochocinco and Brady to Branch.

TE - Patriots slight edge, I say slight because I think Brady to Keller would be more lethal than what Brady to Gronkowski is right now, but since the pats have both Gronkowski and Hernandez they get the edge.

OL - Tie, if mangold shaved his beard edge to the pats

ST - Pats - Pats have a better kicker and punter, but we have better coverage and return teams, but it looks like that won't matter much with this rule change, I'd rather have a reliable kicker and punter than good coverage teams even though westhoff is the best ST coach in the game

DL - Pats - Jets getting younger and this may change by seasons end, but you have to give the nod to the Pats with wilfork in the middle

LB - Jets - not even going to waste my time arguing with the Harris vs Mayo people. If David Harris was playing Middle linebacker for the Patriots I would not be able to sleep, and patriots fans would realize pretty quickly who is better (Harris > Mayo) Scott/Harris = best MLB duo in the game. Mayo is good but I would take Harris any day of the week.

Secondary - Jets If Revis was a Pat, I'd say just hand them the trophy already.

Coaching: Patriots BB 3 rings /end debate

2. gopats88

gopats88 Member

PATRIOTS
    BJGE: 229 att, 1008 yd, 4.4 avg, 0 fum, 13 td
    Woodhead: 97 att, 547 yd, 5.6 avg, 1 fum, 5 td
    COMBINED: 326 ATT, 1555 YD, 4.8 AVG, 1 FUM, 18 TD

JETS
    Tomlinson: 219 att, 914 yd, 4.2 avg, 2 fum, 6 td
    Greene: 186 att, 766 yd, 4.1 avg, 2 fum, 2 td
    COMBINED: 405 ATT, 1630 YD, 4.0 AVG, 4 FUM, 8 TD

How does this translate to a Jets' advantage? Even WITHOUT INCLUDING this year's draft picks (Pats two 2nd rounders, Jets one 4th rounder) this appears to be a clear advantage in the Pats' favor.

The two teams gained a similar amount of yards, but the Pats had a MUCH higher ypc average (4.8 vs 4.0) among likely contributors this year. Differences in touchdowns (Pats 18, Jets 8) and turnovers (Pats 1, Jets 4) are also significant to say the least.

Before anyone makes the argument that our passing game spreads out the defense, opening up opportunities for our rushing game - this is true, but it doesn't explain the following difference in red-zone rushing success: Patriots 44%, Jets 40%. Nor does my above comparison take into account the HUGE dropoff in production that the Jets saw after LT cooled off (LT + Greene + Connor COMBINED for 3 TD after Week 6). The Jets rank high in TOTAL yards, but that is largely because they rank 4rd in the league in 1st down rushing... when the team NEEDED yards (i.e. 3rd & 4th down) they struggled. The same CANNOT be said about the Pats.

I really think that Jets fans are caught up in this fantasy land where they are 'known' for having a dominant running game, therefore they have an obvious advantage - regardless of how productive their players actually are.

3. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

With all of those great stats, it's amazing that the pats have had so little post season success since they got the biggest fine in the entire history of the NFL for cheating.

That's got to suck.

4. 624

624 Banned

The volume of attempts makes a big difference.

Defenses mainly gameplan to stop Tom Brady against the Patriots, but against the Jets they mainly gameplan against the run.

The evaluation that the Jets running backs are better is based on talent and the eye test alone, not statistics. (A smaller sample for the Pats' ones, albeit)

5. rholt168

rholt168 Active Member

Teams stack the box and make Sanchez beat them. Running against 8 man fronts all day is a lot harder than teams that have to make sure Brady doesn't beat them deep.

6. gopats88

gopats88 Member

I think your 'eyetest' and talent "scouting ability" are based largely on draft status and historical success (in the case of LT). Two things that are irrelevant in current comparisons.

7. gopats88

gopats88 Member

I addressed that.

The pats were better at converting short yardage and scoring in the redzone. This does not explain these differences.

8. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

Do you think your personal evaluation will mean anything when they actually go on the field or is it just a meaningless exercise?

In other words are you delusional or just jerking off?

9. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

you have to take into account that, teams dont go into patriots thinking, "hey we gotta stop the run."

mccourty 7picks?
    revis 0

stats help, but dont mean everything. i would rather have Greene/LT over Lawfirm/Woodhead. everyday.

teams go into games stacking the box against the jets, and the jets are still able to run.

10. rholt168

rholt168 Active Member

Seriously? You still have to take accounts for Brady being able to throw the ball in any situation. Regardless if it's short yardage. Don't be dumb.

11. gopats88

gopats88 Member

I don't think any of our evaluations are going to affect what happens on the field. In fact, none of these threads will.

Are you delusional, or do you understand that this is just the Internet?

12. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

tom brady?

13. gopats88

gopats88 Member

Teams don't line up in nickel formation when the Pats are trying to convert 3rd and 2. You may not believe it, but our playcalling in those situations was about as vanilla as any other team last year... we ran the ball... with far more success than the Jets did.

14. gopats88

gopats88 Member

I meant that in terms of rushing only.

15. 624

624 Banned

So Tom Brady has no effect on the rushing game?

16. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

yeah but brady on the field has an impact on every play. i dont think anybody is saying the patriots are atrocious at rushing the ball, but i, and many others believe the jets are better at it.

the scheme, players, offensive line, and the fact that its known the jets will rush.

17. gopats88

gopats88 Member

OK, so the only reason any player has success on the patriots is Tom Brady, whatever...

Anyone care to address the fact that your RBs COMBINED for 3 TD in the final TEN GAMES of the season. I know you all believe that you have the most dominant OL in the league...

18. rholt168

rholt168 Active Member

Also the Patriots:
    RUSHING 4.3 yards/carry

Jets:
    RUSHING 4.4 yards/carry

You can't just take two rushers on each side and call it a day.

19. 624

624 Banned

Any success? No.

Are they all inflated because of him? Yes.

20. gopats88

gopats88 Member

Umm I was focusing on players that are likely to contribute significantly this year. Do you want me to include McKnight's numbers? I don't think that really helps.

Guys like Brad Smith and Fred Taylor are kind of irrelevant at this point.