9/6-9/9 - Yanks vs. O's

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by Cappy, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Cappy

Cappy Well-Known Member

I hate the Orioles. I hate their stupid name. I hate their stupid players. I hate their stupid owner. And I hate their stupid fans.

I like watching them lose. I like when the Yankees beat them. I like when Brian Roberts injures his back and can't torment the Yankees for half the season. So it's been a likable year thus far. Hell, it's been a likable decade.

Last night was not enjoyable, however. CC will hopefully make me feel better tonight. Tonight, the fat man pitcheth.

Tonight's lineup.

YANKEES (86-52)
    Brett Gardner LF
    Derek Jeter SS
    Mark Teixeira 1B
    Robinson Cano 2B
    Nick Swisher RF
    Lance Berkman DH
    Jorge Posada C
    Curtis Granderson CF
    Ramiro Pena 3B

LHP CC Sabathia (19-5, 3.02)

ORIOLES (52-86)
    Brian Roberts 2B
    Felix Pie LF
    Nick Markakis RF
    Ty Wigginton 1B
    Adam Jones CF
    Nolan Reimold DH
    Craig Tatum C
    Robert Andino SS
    Josh Bell 3B

RHP Jake Arrieta (4-6, 5.11)

Man, that's two series in a row that have haven't had threads started on time. Are Yankee fans on vacation? Or do we not care? Or is it just too close to football season?

2. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

I guess CC was due for this kind of game.

3. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

Yup, CC's in line for his first loss at Yankee Stadium in more than a year.

Baltimore's bullpen isn't exactly bulletproof though, so I'm not counting the Yankees out quite yet.

4. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

CC wasn't great or anything (and I wonder if this start hurts his Cy Young chances) but damnit I get frustrated with this lineup. 2 runs? Against Baltimore? I don't care what kind of surge they're on with Showalter, that's ridiculous. Hell, one run was simply Berkman stumbling home (though that was a helluva slide.)

As for the thread starting, I don't want anyone getting all butthurt because I don't subscribe to their "rules" so I don't start threads. :wink:

5. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Revis signed...

6. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

CC looked shitty, his velocity was down too.

7. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Yankees were about 1/4 favorites last night, as big as it gets.

More credence for the belief that baseball is too random for such big lines.

8. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

The Yankees offense was killed by some horrible luck last night. In the 7th inning alone they had an error by the shortstop that bounced directly to the CF and a rocket by A-Rod that bounced off the 3rd baseman right to the shortstop, both leading to force outs.

Sometimes it just isn't your night.

As for the thread starting, I'm with Alio--I don't wanna step on anyone's thread starting "procedure," so I don't bother.

9. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

You just can't predict baseball.

99% of the time I'd agree with you. You have an unlucky night, stuff happens. It's when it's the third loss in a row, second to a team that is over 30 games behind you in the standings, that I stop attributing it to luck.

I know, last night was just crap. Poor outing by our starter (which just makes CC like everyone else) combined with poor luck. Still, playoff teams find ways to win. They also don't allow rookies to have innings where they throw 5 total pitches.
    ------------

Anyway, it's an afternoon game today. The last of the weekday afternoon games of the year. There are actually only 2 more afternoon games at all after today, one a Saturday and one a Sunday.

Nova on the mound today to try to stop the bleeding.

10. IATA

IATA Trolls

CC cost me 11 cents on my 2team parlay. The Giants got it done, why couldn't CC?

Cause he's too fat and will be on the DL soon. And Giardi mishandled the bullpen. And Cashman is a jerk.

11. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

That's a John Sterling line.

I predict baseball all the time, but since there is randomness, one of my favorite strategies is to take all underdogs of at least +250, simply because upsets happen at a highest frequency than these lines suggest.

12. Cappy

Cappy Well-Known Member

So you stop attributing it to luck after a gigantic three game sample, huh?

Guess they must just be a shitty team. Or maybe they're not trying, the lazy bums.

Or maybe... just maybe... even the best teams in baseball (which, by the way, the Yankees have been over 120+ games) lose three games in a row sometimes. Or lose two games in a row to bad teams. It happens a lot, actually. And, yes, a good part of that is due to unluckiness (or more accurately, variance); sometimes it really isn't your night. Playoff teams don't "find ways to win" because they want to win more than the other guys... that's just ad hoc reasoning. Playoff teams win because they are generally more talented than non-playoff teams, and that shakes out over the course of a long season (that still has the best teams losing 35-40% of their games.

13. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

The Yankees used to be the Orioles you know.

14. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

The Os fans down here are yapping alot about beating CC. It is really kinda cute.

15. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

16. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

The Yankees offense just can't get anything going against Baltimore.

I'm not freaking out, but it's frustrating to watch the best offense in baseball shut down by Brad Bergesen.

17. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I figured you'd appreciate it. :up:

You make it really un-fun to post here sometimes.

I was never freaking out myself (not saying you were accusing me of such.) I specifically said they frustrate me with performances like this. There is no reason they should hit this poorly against a team so far beneath them.

18. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

Before he grounded out on the first fucking pitch to kill the Yankees rally in the 7th, Frankie Cervelli's batting music was "Take Me Out."

I think he's trying to send Girardi a message...

19. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

In fairness, Girardi shouldn't have needed a hint there. WTF is Jorge sitting on his ass in that situation for? I can't wait until he proves how poor a manager he is in Chicago.

20. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Holy crap!!! Nick Swisher!!! Swishalicious!!!

And that's how a PLAYOFF team finds ways to win!

EDIT: I LOVE PIE!!!