8-8 or 5-11

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MurrellMartin, Oct 10, 2012.

1. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Does 8-8 get us a WC? Were we in position to make the playoffs last week and lost to put us at 8-8? Were we out of the playoffs and went on a 3 game winning streak to end the season? Did we play well but lacked talent and got to 8-8? Did we suck down the stretch to get to 8-8?

5-11, was it due to more injuries? Was it due to getting throttled or in close games?

Too many scenarios just to pick one

2. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

"...With the 2nd pick in the 2013 NFL draft, the NY Jets select....GENO SMITH!..."

"...Woody Johnson announced today that he has relieved Bill Cowher and Bill Polian of their positions as Head Coach and General Manager due to missing the post season 2 seasons in a row. Mounting fan pressure and two consecutive 8-8 seasons, even after 2 post season appearances, has made him rethink his position. However, Tim Tebow and Robert Griffen III will remain as the 2nd and 3rd string quarterbacks with the new regime...."

Yep - Same Old Jet Fans

3. Christian

Christian Active Member

What the fuck is the point of being a fan if you root for your team to lose?

Seriously, a shitty record guarantees nothing. Lets say these "big changes" happen after a 4-12 season, theres no guarantee at all that the player you pick with the high draft pick will be any good and there's no guarantee the people in charge of the organization will wake up, and lets say you fire those people, even if you hire new coaches and a new GM they could also very well shit the bed.

4. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

I root for my team every game and will continue to do so even if we are 4-11 at the time. That said if for some reason I was going away until the start of next season and wouldn't be able to watch the games I would definitely take 5-11. A top 10 draft pick and some early 2nd and 3rd rounders could really help this team.

That statement isn't true though if it means Rex is fired. I don't want him gone no matter what happens.

5. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

2-14

you play to lose the game!

6. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

I'm not saying that either, but it sure makes losing more enticing. Whether it happens or not, and we both agree that it's not a conscious decision to lose, I don't like that there's still an incentive to lose. And the current draft setup rewards losing, especially with the reworking of rookie contracts to be much more manageable. Now a top pick is even MORE desirable due to that. Even if the teams don't take that attitude, enough of the fans do to make it just annoying in my opinion. There should be no reward for losing.

And we both agree that the team would probably screw it up haha.

7. Jets_Grinch

Jets_Grinch Well-Known Member

I'll cheer them to the end and I hate saying this but 5-11 or worse. We might as well get the draft pick of we aren't making the playoffs. I feel like 8-8 is just more unnecessary heartbreak at this point.

8. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

I don't want an 8-8 season, because that would put us out of the top 10 draft picks.

9. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

Seriously. How do you enjoy watching your team with that mentality?

10. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

They will just hire another head coach and no continuity will be developed once again.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'd much rather go 8-8.

If you want to know whether we're going 8-8 or 5-11 this weekend is a really good indicator. if we lost to the Colts we're probably going 5-11. If we beat them I still see 8-8 as the most probable result.

12. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

I either wanna be very good or very bad, this mediocre shit is for the birds

13. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

This is what I'm talking about.

People in here have taken shots at me, and I get it, but when I'm at the games or at home, I'm cheering on the team. I'm not sitting there booing our players (well, Sanchez maybe), and hoping to lose. I'd LOVE for this team to pull a 98 out of their hat and go from 2-3 to 12-4, but is that realistic? No. Will I be cheering for it to happen on Sunday? You bet. But knowing this team under the current regime, 8 or 9 wins is the ceiling and as of now unless they beat someone they shouldn't, 7 or 8 wins is the ceiling and I'd rather not go .500 because they'd be more likely to stay content and not make any changes and don't tell me they wouldn't be because that's been the M.O. under this regime.

#53 MurrellMartin, Oct 11, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  14. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

Well I guess if the players are as aware of the ceiling being 7-8 wins as you are they might as well just quit trying and throw in the towel and tank since that will get them a better draft pick, coaching staff,etc and a better chance to win the SB.

15. baamf

baamf Active Member

The problem we have is that because of the stupid contracts given out by Tannebaum it's going to be difficult next year for this team to be that much different. The biggest problems will be Sanchez and Holmes; they basically can't be cut next year because that would leave over 28 million in dead money on our cap, and you have to figure that they'll be close to impossible to trade. People would like wholesale changes next year but the money is going to be difficult. They'll cut some of the old LBs but they'll have to be replaced, not to mention re-tooling of the O-line and dealing with Revis, Keller, etc.. Unless the bottom completely falls out, this team will be similiar next year with some low price FAs and some draft picks being forced to start. If the bottom does fall out and Woody cleans house, the new regime will still have the same contract issues and again the team won't be that much different. At least that is the way I see it. We shall see....

16. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

I'm hoping for 13-3 with home field.

17. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Nah U R dreaming we would screw up those picks U mentioned just like we have done for every draft we have had since 01/12/69 :sad:

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

You don't ever ask this question. 5-11 is just bad enough to be hard to watch and nowhere near bad enough to get a really good draft pick.

Teams that lose tend to keep losing.

The 4-12 Jets in 2005 went back for a double-dip 4-12 in 2007.

The 6-10 Jets that lost Chad after they'd lost the Jetskins in the off-season went back for a double-dip in 2005 at 4-12.

The facts are that good teams don't ever go 4-12. Teams with lousy management do that.

19. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

I don't care where we finish they better trade up and get the best QB in the draft! Not to the sixth pick for another USC bum like Barclay but to the top pick for the best QB!

20. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

There is no Andrew Luck waiting for you for "sucking" so this year is the wrong year to tank. Let's see how the season turns out, we have a winnable game coming up against the Colts. Hopefully we're 3-3 after this week.