8-8 or 5-11

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MurrellMartin, Oct 10, 2012.

1. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

there is absolutely no reasonable argument you could make that an 8-8 season would result in bringing everyone back for one more run. two 8-8 seasons in a row reveals a pattern, regardless of injuries, that reflect consistent mediocrity. how the hell would management think a mediocre team is somehow going to go on some sort of run, unless you think they would mean another run of mediocrity?

so if the backbone of your argument, which is the 8-8 record is not enough to institute change and management would think it was representative of a team that still has a championship run in it, is asinine then the rest of the argument, which is dependent on that asinine position, is equally asinine.

2. GangGreenTay

GangGreenTay Active Member

Why would a fellow jets fan not want another wild card run? I would do anything to see the Jets back in the playoffs rather than a losing season or 8-8.

3. bocajetfan

bocajetfan New Member

This may sound crazy, but if the team improves on a few of the miscues from Monday night, they can realistically go 10-6.

4. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I'd prefer the Jets try and get into the playoffs. At that point it's whoever is playing the best at the moment.

5. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Trust me, I've been following the Jets and the NFL draft longer than some of guys have been alive. WISHING TO LOSE to obtain a better draft pick or management change doesn't work.

True NY Jet Fans don't root to lose.

6. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

making the playoffs would certainly result in less changes being made because less would be needed.

I think there are fans that are more interested in the Jets making changes than the team and players actually improving enough to be a playoff team.

personally, I want the team to win, which would mean the players are likely improving, which would then carry forward to next year. if that is the case, we won't need the wholesale changes that a 5-11 or even an 8-8 season would reflect.

7. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

5-11

8. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

I think the 5-8 win range is probably about right for this team, BTW.

9. BobLivius

BobLivius New Member

I've seen this slide before during the Joe walton era. Instead of letting Mike Hickey, very capable, draft the players, Hess decided on a troika. So we got Walton, Hickey and Steve Gutman drafting players. The result was a disaster. I don't believe Woody Johnson will allow this to happen again. The obvious solution is replacing Tanny with a genuine football man who knows talent and can direct the organization to produce playoff talent.. Whatever you think about Woody, I can tell you that he won't tolerate mediocrity.

10. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

lol says you

I'm all for 2-14 if possible =) GENO SMITH BABY

11. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

All of this. :beer:

12. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Exactly. Why settle for 5-11? Can we protest the Miami win? 1-15 is attainable! We can do this!

13. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

We're 2-3 right now, and you're an idiot if you root for anything other to be 3-3 after this week. You ask this (viable) question when you're 5-8, not when you're 2-3.

14. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

What a ridiculous thread, Murrel. I'm more surprised that people are actually behind this crazy BS. What real fan roots for their team to lose, ever?

These are the kind of threads the fuel all of the garbage that goes on in this forum. That's embarrassing as a Jet fan to see another "Jet fan" talk about wanting to see their team lose.

15. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

I'd never root for the Jets to lose, but when you're mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, it doesn't necessarily upset me too much if they do lose. My personal feeling is that the draft system is broken to begin with. I would love to have a lottery (that doesn't have any weighted percentages like the NBA does). Every year is just dumb luck where you draft then. Make it a snaking draft as well. Some may say that the rich will get richer under that scenario, but screw it. I don't like teams or even fans having any sort of incentive for losing or wishing for losing.

16. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

Invertebrate

17. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Agree with above stated. Rooting for your team to lose is terrible. That's shit the Dolphins do. Suck for Luck bullshit. (No offense) LOL

Listen, this is the 5th week of the season and we are 2-3. I hope we make a playoff run, just like I do every year. If you have to root to have a losing season, then there is definitely something much worse happening with this franchise then we all believe. I will NEVER root for this team to lose. NEVER. It just isn't in my blood to do that.

I can't sit and watch the games rooting to lose and being happy with mediocracy. To have the analysts poke fun at you every waking moment, calling for Tebow? Fuck that. Win the whole thing or go down fighting. Playoff run is what I'm shooting for. Will we get there? Who knows, but I am sure as hell rooting for it.

18. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

None taken. I actually got an infraction over at finheaven for making a thread saying that anybody rooting to suck for luck wasn't a real fan, which is a big reason I don't post there.

19. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I highly, highly doubt that any team throws games on purpose just for draft positioning intent. I don't buy it at all and the way the draft is set up is fine for the intent of allowing those weak teams to install much needed talent in an effort to keep the entire league competitive.

This works for almost every team, it's just unfortunate it takes some teams much longer than others because of poor GM's and scouting departments.

With that said I'm not so sure a high draft pick wouldn't be wasted with this team because it sure does look like we have a bad talent evaluating staff for this organization. I'm getting really worried about the direction this team is headed.

20. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Oh ok, because I may dislike Miami, but I thought that was so wrong to root against your team to have a better draft pick.

I think it's hilarious that people actually sit here and think that the players will purposely go out there and lose just so they can get a better draft pick LOL Imagine telling a player that. So stupid