(5/20) Jordan Leggett waived

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by macbk, May 20, 2019.

1. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I just would have thought that being we have a new staff they would want to , at the very least , get a look at the guy that should some promise in a limited role .
    Being Wesco seems to be both a blocking TE as well as a pass catcher it would have allowed us to cut another guy that’s strictly a blocker .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ralebird likes this.
  2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Isn't Herndon getting suspended? Not sure it is wise to have 4th Round Pick Wesco being the TE1 Week 1, but it is shaping up that way. Maybe Tomlinson stays?

stinkyB, HomeoftheJets and Noam like this.
  3. LarryAlRalph

LarryAlRalph Well-Known Member

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I always said that 2017 draft was Maccagnan's worst, and that is saying a lot since he took Lee and Hackenberg one and two in 2016. 2017--Two safeties, followed by two scrub WRs, Leggett, Donahue, McGuire, and two scrub CBs-- FOUR DBs, THREE receivers and zero OL and DL. HOW IN THE HELL did Mike McCagnan ever GET the GM job? Are Charley Casserly and Woody Johnson both brain dead?

Footballgod214 likes this.
  5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I mean Adams, Maye and McGuire actually contribute. That was probably Mac's best draft! Haha.

NCJetsfan, CotcheryFan and FJF like this.
  6. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

i can't see cuting a 4th ronud rookie. espcially one at a position where we need 3 of them of and only have 1 proven one. who is going to beat out wesco?

I do agree though gase seems to have lost his marbles already and i'm not happy with him right now. i think my username rings true of this entire fanbase at this point, we have all been gased and left confused

CotcheryFan and Noam like this.
  7. cval

cval Well-Known Member

In all reality he should have been fired for drafting Hackenburg.

8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Like NC, I too usually agree with your posts, but not on this matter. Can you take a step back and consider what we actually know for a FACT, not rumor or nedia click bait?

1. Gase had a reputation of being an egomaniac in Miami, and he told the owner to piss off. True.
    2. We don't know what the other contributing factors were in Miami. True.
    3. Gase went to Chris with his concerns and frustrations with Macc freezing him out of the process. True.
    4. Gase traded Lee, who MAcc also wanted to trade, within hours of being named acting GM. True.
    5. Gase cut Leggett two days after being named acting GM.

These are the things we KNOW. We do NOT know, what really happened in Miami, or whether Gase was scheming from Day 1 to get rid of Macc, or that he's got an agenda to get rid of all players Macc signed or drafted. And there's also a lot we don't know about his plans for the season, and how he works with Williams and the rest of the CS and Chris.

So with what we KNOW and what what we don't know, how can anyone draw any firm conclusions about what's going to happen? The answer is, they can't. It's just reacting out of fear that once again the SOJ Shit Show is gearing up, and I can fully understand that fear, but it doesn't make it true.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

That's for sure. As I recall, Chrebet announced the Hackenberg pick at the draft, and I was just stunned. I am certainly not an expert, but the draft book I had put Hackenberg as a late 6th, early 7th round developmental pick, not the 2nd round. MacCagnan taking Hackenberg in the 2nd, and Idzik taking Dexter McDougle in the early 3rd round of 2014 are the two picks in recent years that really were WTF moments for me.

10. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

All this for Jordan Leggett huh?

FJF likes this.
  11. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Stephen Hill, Vlad, and Devin Smith are up there too. Hackenberg might be the worst haha.

tomdeb likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Good point! We'll see how this plays out. It could wind up being a colossal mistake. If Sterling stays healthy, he would probably be the #1 TE while Herndon is out unless Wesco clearly outplays him in TC and preseason. Then again, Gase might want to establish the rushing attack, in which case, Wesco would probably be the starter.

13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

We've effectively played for years without using a TE.:D

In all seriousness though I'm sure we can muddle through. Gase could even use Enunwa sometimes in that role. And I have a hunch Wesco is going to step up.

LarryAlRalph likes this.
  14. LarryAlRalph

LarryAlRalph Well-Known Member

I'd be surprised if Darnold would have the time to check down to the TE anyway. And we all know they're never primary.

15. NCJetsfan

Gase likes to use two TEs, so I think we will see quite an increased use of the TE position in Gase's offense. From my vantage point, I would have kept Leggett and not Tomlinson (in fact, I never would have re-signed him), but I don't know what has transpired behind the scenes. After reviewing all the info from the last couple of seasons, talking with the players, and seeing what happened in the mini-camp, Gase may have seen or heard something from Leggett that he didn't like, or thought that he needed to send a message to the team, like Lee, than players who dog it and don't work hard don't have a place on this team regardless of how talented they are. If that's the case and he's trying to show the team that there is a new sheriff in town and that they will be held accountable, I applaud it.

I had never heard of Wesco before we drafted him, but I really like what I've seen and read about him. He's already the best blocking TE we've had since Anthony Becht, and he has better hands than Becht. I think he's going to be a very solid role player for us, and could pleasantly surprise us and being better than just solid.

16. NCJetsfan

I think we'll see some changes in that regard. Gase likes to use two TEs. I think there's a good chance that Herndon could get 40-50 receptions this season, and think it would have been more if he weren't suspended for 4 games.

17. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

18. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

19. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

The fake outrage over cutting Leggett might be my new favorite stupid Jets thing. I think it just overtook the fake outrage over Clayton saying he wouldn't be surprised if the Jets traded Bell.

But but but but 5 teams put a claim in for him!

20. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

I am SOOOO here for when he doesn't make the Bucs roster.

NCJetsfan likes this.