5/11 RedSox @ Yankees Rubber Match

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by EcKo151, May 11, 2006.

1. MisterMoss

MisterMoss PRO-American

2. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

ok someone watching the game explain to me how 2 runs scored on an infield single.

3. MisterMoss

MisterMoss PRO-American

Runners didn't need to stop with 2 outs, and the ball got away from Cairo after it popped out of his glove.

4. MisterMoss

MisterMoss PRO-American

According to rule 10:24 (C), a consecutive games played streak is extended when a player plays one-half inning on defense or has a plate appearance at bat. Since he accomplished neither, the Japanese star's streak - a major league record for consecutive games played to start a career - was halted.

Matsui's professional streak ends at 1,768 games. He played in 1,250 consecutive contests for the Yomiuri Giants in Japan before signing with the Yankees in December 2002.

5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Cairo blows it as usual.

6. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Papelbon rules!!!

7. Exit 117

Exit 117 Active Member

Rivera lets up a run in the top of the 9th...

8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Damn you Rivera!

9. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

thheeeeeeeeeeeee Red Sox win!!! Thheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Red Sox win!!!

10. jkgrandchamp

jkgrandchamp Member

Didnt matter it wasnt a save situation and the Yanks were losing

11. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Asinine rule.

I also abhor the one where a hitting streak is continued if a batter goes 0-0 with two walks. Or he gets plunked in his first plate appearance and leaves the game.
    He played in the game and did not record a base hit!!!! Streak over!!!!

I also don't understand how coaches could miss a game and still get credit for the win or loss. I believe Pat Riley and Larry Brown missed games this season due to family and/or health reasons, but I believe both of them got credit for 82 regular season games.
    Same thing with Joe Torre that year when he was out for the first 36 games. Don Zimmer didn't get credit for managing the team. Torre apparently managed the first 36 games from the hospital or his home.
    Ridiculous.

#71 Cakes, May 11, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2005
  12. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Matsui out 3 months. Why in the hell was Kevin "Offensively I make Bubba Crosby look like Ted Williams" Reese called up over Kevin Thompson? Ugh. This night gets better and better.

#72 AMJets, May 12, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2005
  13. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

3 months seems to be the low end, cashman said it might be the season

14. Penny2Moss

Penny2Moss New Member

They better let Bubba play left damnit

15. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

As long as it's not the season thsi may not be a abd thing, if he can get back by Septemeber he'll have that time to round back into form and be fresh for October. We can survuve as long as the pitching holds up and outside of randy it's been good.

Tough loss but a fun game, if cairo can hold onto that ball we probably win but we blew chances w/ RISP late.

16. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

I expect Matsui to be out much longer than 3 months but I think that it will be a good thing for the Yankees as long as they(george) dont do something rash (like acquiring Huff for Hughes).
    Melky becomes your everyday LF and Crosby becomes your everday RF until Sheff is back.
    This does improve the outfield defense since all 3 can cover tons of ground out there and offensively this makes Joe manage a game again instead of handing in the lineup and napping.
    They cant rely on the 3 run homer anymore. Joe needs to go back to small ball. Stealing bases, moving the runners over and with those 2 guys, it can be done.
    This was best shown when Crosby scored from second on Jeters shallow single. Crosby had originally stolen 2nd and with his speed he was able to score, draw the throw home which allowed Jeter to take second.
    Could Sheff, Matsui, Posada, Giambi etc scored from second on that? I dont think so. Ball would have been cut off and its 1st and 3rd with 2 outs instead of a run scoring.
    Joe better go back into his diary to remember how he used to manage a game.

17. Exit 117

Exit 117 Active Member

Yeah, it did. It was a 1-run game, which isn't so bad against a rookie closer (who was 12/12, which means he had a blown save coming).

18. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

went to the game. I took my daughter who's favorite player is Matsui. Go figure. Had a great time,though. I hope we don't go sign an outfielder. When Sheff gets back we have more than enough bats in the lineup to get it done. Use Crosby dammit! He has more than proved he is worthy of a shot at everyday. If sign anyone,it needs to be a starter.

19. Exit 117

Exit 117 Active Member

I can't understand why Cabrera was getting playing time over Crosby anyway. Maybe they're trying to raise his value for trade bait, but otherwise, no idea.

20. Penny2Moss

Penny2Moss New Member

Bubba is probably the best defensive outfielder we have he needs to be starting while matsui is out, and i think if he got to play a little more his bat would really come around too.