4th and 2

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFan20, Jan 2, 2022.

1. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

Bingo! He would of had better field position w/the kick return. Plus at this stage, even more important than what happened is the Rep for Wilson and CO!

2. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I’m seeing a ton of misconceptions about this play, here is exactly what it is:

It’s a short yardage gap-read play call. It has 2 options:

1. If the defense leaves 1 of the A Gaps vacant, the Center and Guard on either side of that A Gap try to create an opening for the QB to dive through and get the short yardage.

2. If the defense has both A Gaps filled, the QB hands the ball off to the motion-outside runner, because the defense is more bunched up and it leaves more space on the edge of the defense.

Wilson made the correct read based on the parameters of the play call. The reason Saleh was so upset with LaFleur is because there were two factors outside of the playcall that LaFleur didn’t relay to Wilson.

1. Between Vita Vea and Ndamukong Suh, it was pretty unlikely that Dan Feeney was going to create enough push for the QB dive to be effective.

2. The coaches wanted to give the ball to Berrios on the play even if the defense called for the sneak, because Berrios is the best offensive player right now and he has shown he can make a guy miss in short yardage.

It’s a learning experience for Wilson, and also for the coaches. It’s not Wilson’s fault though, he trusted the coach’s playcall and executed it. In the future he may make his own decisions but right now he’s just a rookie. And hopefully in the future LaFleur is more clear communicating times when Wilson should ignore certain defensive queues.

FJF, NCJetsfan, SOJAZ and 10 others like this.
  3. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

Everyone is talking about the 4th and 2 play that looked like a bad call. Yes had Zack handed the ball to Berrios on the Jet Sweep, I think there is a good chance a first down would be made.

But if we could go one play earlier, let us examine what happened on the 3rd and 6 play.

The Jets had the ball on the 11 yard line with 3:02 left in the clock. The Bucks had called a timeout (final) after Walter ripped a 5 yard run.

The Jets line up in shotgun formation. The snap is low and Wilson has to bend down low to retrieve the ball after it bounces off the ground. This forces Wilson to rush his throw to Berrios in the flat. This results in a low pass that forces Berrios to catch just above the ground. He is immediately tackled on the spot by Davis.

Had the snap been a proper snap, Zack probably makes a better throw to Berrios and the Jets have a 1st down. That 1st down will give the Jets victory because the clock is now in their favor. They do not even have to score. Remember they had a 4 point lead, so the Bucs need a TD not to lose.

Assuming the Jets never get a TD, the Jets could let the clock run down to 2:17 as they did. They run their first play on 1st down and you have the two-minute warning. They run their second play and let the clock wind down to about 1:20. On third down and their 3rd play, they let the clock wind down to about 40 seconds.

With 40 seconds left, 4th down they can take another 5 seconds off the clock running a play. If they hit on a field goal, the kickoff now with the field goal takes at least another 10 seconds. This now leaves Brady and the Bucs with just 35 seconds to go about 90 or more yards or 30 seconds to march down the field after a kickoff!

It is amazing how a bad snap snatched a chance for victory for the Jets.

4. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

A good summation but take the three ffs and at worst you would be playing OT no way would the Bucs have gone for two to win the game, we may well have lost in OT but we lost anyway.

bicketybam likes this.
  5. rscherwin

rscherwin Well-Known Member

Good explanation of the play.

MaximusD163 likes this.
  6. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

100% agree. That’s some bush-league shit right there.

“We thought we saw something. It didn’t work out”.

Then look at a different fucking reporter.

7. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Also…

Kid plays a decent game and there are 3 separate threads about 4th and 2.

Looking forward to the breaks downs on the rest of his game.

8. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

wow....that play is the reason none of us should have confidence in the current coach....

and quite possibly the QB but these boys have to be spoon fed all the way thru.

9. Kevin Randall

Kevin Randall Member

The play wasn't 4th and 2, it was 4th and 1.

Ignore the lines on the TV broadcast, Zach can't see those. Looks at the chains ie. what Zach CAN see. The first down marker was just inside the 6 yard line, NOT just inside the 5 yard line like shown on TV.

The play was 4th and 1, from the 7 yard line, and the QB sneak was on.

10. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Apparently this was on our OC telling Wilson the wrong thing.

jilozzo likes this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

They weren’t fourth downs, they were 2-point conversions. Baltimore is tied for 24th in the league at the moment trying to convert them at 25%. This doesn’t have the raw numbers so I don’t know how many they’ve attempted or where they stood before those two games. But those are pretty bad numbers to roll with.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/two-point-conversion-pct

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  12. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

Sorry, but this doesn't make sense. If we're that afraid of the guy, and know he's absolutely going to score, what difference does the extra 20 yards make? That extra 20 yards would have helped us, he might have scored sooner, giving us the opportunity to kick a game-winning field goal.

There is nothing anyone can say that would change my mind that that should have been a take the points situation.

13. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

You have the choice to let it not affect the reputation of Wilson or the coaching staff. It’s very easy to assess the situation and move on from it. I promise.

14. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Agree! I was yelling at the TV "KICK". Being aggressive is way overrated especially with a young team that's proven little, a young defense that's been pretty bad all season, and by going for it they gambled away 58 minutes of impressive football - on a poor bet. Throw in the "Tom Brady again" element, and the decision was a terrible one. I'm still surprised that they did that to us. Just when you don't expect it, we get yet another "WTF?" moment.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  15. MaximusD163

I’m pro go for it. I’ve spent over a decade watching Brady run 2 minute drills or 2 point conversions or overtime drives for wins.

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I'm fine with going for it and the mistake seemed like it could have been an honest one, it just sucks that a game hinged on it.

Brady did what the Patriots always do to us, just wait for a screw up and then capitalize on grossly uneven calls from the refs.

Was it me or did the defense look gassed in the second half?

FJF, ColoradoContrails and Jets79 like this.
  17. MaximusD163

I didn’t think they looked gassed but I’d have to see it again and pay attention to be sure.

18. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I am just not sure how the receiver gets that wide open? Feels like a tank job to me.

19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Oh in that case I don't know why Harbaugh would go for 2. Tucker makes an extra point automatic, and the Ravens would be likely to win in OT against almost any team, with Tucker again giving them an edge. Did the analytics even defend those decisions?

20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I think Vilma is a little muddled on what "analytics" means. Under no circumstances do they tell you to go for 2 every time or even that its the right decision to make, that is analysis.

In some of Harbaugh's 2 point decisions they were "liked" by data, some they weren't. Some of his decisions were undoubtedly influenced by "momentum" , which runs counter to the data models, like when he went for 2 & the win against Green Bay at home with a backup QB