#4 PICK

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Jojo, Mar 25, 2022.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

them being good has nothing to do with late round gems. their best players were all 1sts like bush and watt. not to mention they traded a 1st for fitzpatrick. a big reason is good coaching and a true FQB (who was also a 1st) for the last decade. they are a great franchise but doesn't mean they found late round gems

boozer32 likes this.
  2. GasedAndConfused

they were only in seattle together for shermans 1st 3 years. of course he was a late round pick who way overperformed what was expected. any coach would rave about that. when slaeh had him in SF he wasn't the same sherman

3. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Shouldn't we be looking for some more of that type of play? Players that provide great value no matter where they are picked. Saleh would know what he wants in players only difference is he's a head coach now and need to see the whole picture. This draft I feel just might have a few of those types of players. Just hope Douglas and Salah are in sync.

4. boozer32

I'm just saying Green Bay, Pittsburgh, New Orleans always had good teams and made the playoffs a whole lot more than the Jets have. One thing they all had were great coaches and franchise QB. You could throw anyone out there and those QB's would make them better. Nobody ever talked about their defense most of the time they were just decent not dominant like the old Steelers. They mostly won with stellar QB play. Been saying for the longest that is how the Jets should have attacked their rebuilds. But the Jets kept drafting defense and couldn't stop anyone and then the QB's they took were garbage. Now we have a promising QB and hopefully they can make his job easier by 1 protecting him and 2 giving him weapons to help the team score more than the other guys.

Jojo and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

You have to remember that even when the Steelers are down it doesn't look like the Jets.

No QB, 6-10, 9-7, 8-8, etc.

They have a plan to maintain their talent and the biggest single factor in doing that is the coaching staff never changes. Even when the Steelers were disappointing in the late 90's and early 00's they still had Cowher and his staff back every year and the organization had a plan to get back on top.

Of course a big part of this is that Cowher and his staff knew what they were doing and the wheels never fell off and got them fired.

The Jets having been driving on the axles for a decade plus now.

Jojo likes this.
  6. GasedAndConfused

that draft they had was ridiculous. they built the legion of boom in 2 drafts plus got a FQB too. it's what won them the SB. they also drafted maxwell, chancellor (who i wanted the jets to get badly) sherman, wilson, and thomas. none of them were top picks. there is no saying that hall or echols can't grow to that level. we already signed reed who is great in his own right.

7. GasedAndConfused

your missing 1 other big thing. really good defenses. GB didn't do crap with rodgers and a potent offense until they got the D to match. same with NO who really only won 1 SB and made the playoffs due to weak division but were never really good enough to win the big game many times. pitt has always had a nasty D. the rams offense was completely hobbled in the SB due to woods and OBJ being hurt. they didn't have muc of a run game and jefferson is a solid 4 not a WR2 but they did enough with kupp and stafford.and the D won it. when brady won last year he got the glory but their D shut down mahomes and the chiefs. even stafford who is a FQB and had a potent offense including a top 3 WR all time in megatron couldn't make the playoffs due to bad defense.

so when you look at the jets we have (hopefully) the FQB and coach, we have weapons at WR and a solid offense overall on paper. what we need is a legit D where ours was ranked 32nd last year. If we ever want to win a SB we need a legit D so investing in that makes sense now. landing jones, KT, and hamilton changes the D and still gives us a high 2nd for a WR like a dotson, moore, watson etc. burks could even be there at 35 (not that i'm high on him)

boozer32 and Noam like this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I've been saying this for a long time. The successful teams have blueprints which tell them what types of players they need. They don't even need the very best - although at QB that's an exception - to compete every year. And part of that blueprint is also having the right CS.

I know we disagree on whether the Jets have the right QB, CS, and GM (therefore blueprint), but we agree in principle on the way to build a consistent winner (I think).

9. boozer32

Maybe but I'm not a fan of KT and Hamilton will not be there at 10.

10. GasedAndConfused

hamilton is very likely there at 10. as I keep doing more and more mocks I don't see a team taking him that high. it's possible sure, but I think teams are sleeping on him due to positional value and a slow 40

i did a full 2 rounder but here is the top 12

[​IMG]
    mind you even if the saints don't trade up for a QB and we take KT i'm not sure where hamilton fits. I don't see the giants doing it as they need an edge and an o-lineman much more and even CB since they are trying to move bradbury. carolina wants a QB. I don't see him going top 3 over the edges and ekwonu or to us at 4 over an edge. carolina is taking a QB. falcons are possible but they want a WR or could even take a QB if a guy they like falls. even if KC doens't mvoe up for a WR, no way seattle drafts a safety. I think hamilton could fall as far as 13 but likely goes 10-13 to the jets at 10, commanders at 11 or texans at 13

boozer32 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Would you be okay with Jermaine Johnson at #4 overall? Each day that goes by, I definitely am. I don't want to come out of Day 1 without an elite pass rusher. Some will say he is a reach there, but I don't know if I agree now.

I feel like if the board goes 1. Hutchinson 2. Thibodeaux 3. Walker, the Jets should definitely go with Johnson at #4. I don't think he would drop to #10 and I don't really like any of the other prospects as much as him.

What do you guys think?

12. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

No. I think you go Ekwonu, Gardner or trade back. I wouldn't be surprised to see teams try to jump up for a QB or OT at that point. I don't think Johnson is that much better than grabbing Karlafatis later. There's also a chance that Johnson can still be on the board at 10.

13. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Assuming he’s seen as elite by the CS, I 100% agree… especially if we pull off a trade for WR before the draft and 10 becomes either SF’s pick or trade bait.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  14. boozer32

What picks do you have the Jets getting for trading the 4th? I still like Hamilton but I don't see Douglas taking him.

15. boozer32

Since we need a Safety and probably won't take Hamilton. This guy might be a nice consolation prize in round 2 @35 Kirby Joseph. A hard hitting rangy safety.

Richard Lyman and WilsonJetsFan like this.
  16. Jojo

Jojo Well-Known Member

The Dark Knight likes this.
  17. GasedAndConfused

16 and 19 in this draft. maybe JD works some magic and gets a future 4th or 5th too

boozer32 likes this.
  18. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

19. boozer32

Oh, I go back further than Tomlin and Big Ben. The Steelers were one of the first teams to scout black players from Historically Black Universities. They have had a pipeline of talent for decades. That is what I envision the Jets to do. Just have a sustained winning culture here. Not just win an SB and never experience that euphoria ever again but be in the hunt every year. I know its a lot tougher these days with more games, injuries, the talent level, and more movement among players.

KingRoach and ColoradoContrails like this.
  20. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

If it's Icky, hopefully they go edge (JJ?) and then either get back into the 1st for one of the top 5 WRs or get one at 35/38

If it's KT, hopefully they go WR at 10