#4 PICK

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Jojo, Mar 25, 2022.

1. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Get a good CB(Hall is on his way towards becoming one) and beastly pass rush. :cool:

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree on your take about Douglas. Douglas is a build the trenches first-type GM. I would be shocked if he took Sauce over KT or J. Johnson.

3. Jeff M

Jeff M Well-Known Member

My thinking has changed. At first I wanted Thibs @ 4 and Sauce (if he fell) or a WR at 10. Now I do not see Sauce falling.

Now I think Sauce should be the pick at 4. The reason for my change is that I think there is a good chance we could get Johnson for the edge at ten and that there is no other CB who appears to be close to Sauce. I think Sauce is the player in this draft who has the biggest disparity between himself and the next best at his position. If Johnson is not there at ten then we get the best available WR. If we end up with both Sauce and Johnson then we should be able to get a good WR @ 35, maybe be able to execute a trade, or maybe trade up to get a solid WR in the second half of the first round. I see plenty of WR options. I am assuming JD is not in love with any particular WR in this draft or else why the big offer for Hill ???

Richard Lyman and KingRoach like this.
  4. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

One scenario that comes up often in the mocks is that we trade #4 with Atlanta for #8, #43, and #82. In the real world, that probably means we give up Thibodeax for picks that could easily get us our choice of Jermaine Johnson or George Karlaftis, plus Devante Wyatt and Tyler Allgeier. As exciting as KT is, if I'm a GM with a roster that needs as much help as the Jets need, I take what's behind Door #2 every time.

Richard Lyman, KingRoach and Ralebird like this.
  5. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Agree. Zion Johnson would be like the AVT selection. Ultra solid player + def could see him on JD’s radar.

KingRoach likes this.
  6. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

The same can be said for the EDGE rushers and their attempt at Chandler Jones

7. NCJetsfan

I totally disagree with this approach. WR and Edge are our two glaring needs. Ignoring excellent prospects at #4 and #10 and taking a CB who isn't a great need, would be a waste of draft capital, malfeasance and a fireable offense imo. 6-7 WRs will go in the first round and probably 6 Edges. Waiting until the 2nd round and taking what's left to address a position of glaring need would be foolish and is not good roster management. Both WR and Edge are more important positions than CB, and WR is particularly important since we are trying to develop a young QB and had so many injuries to our WR corps last season. If JD were to do that and we missed out on all the top WR prospects, I would be done with him and want him fired.

8. NCJetsfan

In order for me to make that trade, I'd have to believe that there was little difference between KT, Johnson and Karlaftis. I don't believe that is true for one minute. An elite Edge is more important than getting a couple of extra picks. If I thought the three were roughly equal, then yes, it's a no-brainer and I would accept the trade and laugh all the way to the podium at each of those picks. They possibly can get both Wyatt and Allgeier without having to pass up on KT and trade down. Even with the trade down, they could miss out on one or both.

Yes, extra picks would be helpful, but getting an elite Edge is a difference maker. The Jets also need elite playmakers/studs on both sides of the ball. Having KT rushing along side Lawson, Q and JFM could make the Jets a terror to play for every other QB in the NFL. It could be the Sack Exchange Part Two, and that would definitely be more important and have a greater impact than adding a couple of other players.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I'll be surprised if they go CB, even though Sauce does seem to be a good fit. I think ultimately it will be WR & Edge (either order) at 4 & 10 if they stay put. Clearly they're prioritizing a top flight WR and Saleh wants a deep DL that creates pressure.

DJ Reed is one clear starter (and I think he's gonna be great). Bryce Hall is likely the other. Plus Echols to compete or as depth outside. Then Michael Carter in the slot with Javelin Guidry - who they seem to like. I think they're rolling with this group. It's a young, talented group. And improving the pass rush will make them even better.

Who they pick at 4 will depend on who they like best and if any prospects are head and shoulders above the rest, because IMO it's feasible to take an Edge or WR there. If they love Garrett Wilson way more than other wideouts, they should take him at 4 because he could be gone before 10. If they love Thibodeaux or Jermaine Johnson more than other wideouts, they should take him at 4 because either of them could be gone by 10.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

reading this morn on ESPN

"thibodeaux is falling in the eyes of NFL teams as opposed to competing to be the No. 1 pick. Here's what I know about the reasons behind his drop:

• Production: Thibodeaux didn't show the quickness and burst expected on his way to seven sacks and 12 tackles for loss -- good numbers, but not those expected of a player deemed a front-runner for the No. 1 pick. Beyond those numbers, scouts and front-office execs with whom I've spoken have praised his talent but consistently questioned his motor. "Lack of fire" is not the type of label prospects want.

• Interviews: Reporting on prospects' interviews with NFL teams is always tough because I want to be fair to the player, which is why it's important to not report information gleaned from a single source. More than half a dozen scouts have told me that Thibodeaux did not impress in interviews with their teams. The word consistently used to describe his interviews is "poor." That's a red flag, especially for teams looking to use a premium pick.

• Injury: Thibodeaux sprained his ankle in September, an injury that takes time to heal. One scout charged with evaluating Thibodeaux, however, thought that he was timid after the injury and said that those within the Oregon program agreed."

The "poor" interviewing makes me think there is no way we select him.

11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info!

I'd like to know what is meant by "poor interviewing". Some people are poor communicators but can do their jobs really well. Imagine if the Yankees refused to sign Yogi Berra as a player because of his communications skills! LOL! But it might also mean that he came across as not very intelligent or having a poor attitude, both of which would be troubling. The "lack of fire" is certainly troubling, if it's true.

I think we're going to have trust Douglas to nail down these questions - with all of the players he's considering - and hope he gets it right. But based on what I've seen and read so far, I'm becoming leery of using the #4 on someone like Thibodeaux. I'd prefer to either take Icky or trade back depending on what the real situation with Becton is.

12. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

IMO best case scenario is what I saw posed in another thread, which is a trade down with a QB-needy team like Atlanta (8) or Seattle (9) and pick up at least a 2nd. Not sure what to believe with Thibodeaux, but if his passion for football is a question mark JD won't pick him - but who knows if that's even true.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree with trading back, but to give up #4 would take much more than a 2nd - 2nd & 3rd this year, 1st next year maybe.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

right now the starters are hall (who's played very well the past 2 seasons and proved he's a legit starter. he's also been healthy. he was a 2nd round talent who fell due to injuries and he's proving it) and Reed (who we just signed to a big deal). both of them are locked in. Echols flashed potential as well and to me has proved he can be a starter in the league some here even feel he's good enough to be a CB1 but I see him more as a CB2. he's currently CB5 now as it is. I don't even think we carry more then 5 on the active roster. carter and guidry are the slots. having 4 legit outside CBs makes 0 sense. echols is good to keep for injury but you want to bench echols and hall and not fill another need with a top 5 pick? it's really insane and no way JD does that.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

I think we'll carry at least 6 CBs on the roster: Reed, Hall, Echols, MC II, Guidry and Hardee. They could also keep Dunn. They were pretty high on him as well, so they could keep 7 CBs, but I'm hoping that Dunn will make it onto the PS. The roster cut down this year is going to be tough.

Offense = 25
    QBs - 3
    RBs - 4
    TEs - 4
    WRs - 6
    OL - 8

Defense = 25
    DL - 9
    LB - 5
    CB - 6
    S - 4/5

If they want to keep more OL or DL something is going to have to give.

They could go with only 3 RBs, but that would be wise considering that Coleman can't stay healthy, and MC missed time last year as well. I think they have to keep 4 TEs. They supposedly like the FB Bawden they picked up last season but I don't see how they keep him.

They want to run a lot of 12 formations, and unless Yeboah is greatly improved, they wouldn't be able to do it if one of Uzomah or Conklin missed several games due to injury, unless they drafted a TE to replace Yeboah. Even then it's risky. I'd hope that the 3rd TE wouldn't be Griffin or Wesco as both suck.

With all the injuries they had at WR last season and Mims being so questionable, I can't see how they would keep only 5 WRs.

On the OL, unless they draft a swing OT who can play both OT positions, they'll need to keep both McDermott and Edoga, and ideally they need two backup OGs, one of which will be Feeney as he can also play C.

We know they'll keep at least 8 DL, and I can't imagine that they'd keep only 8. I'm pretty sure that both Saleh and Ulbrich would want to keep 10 DL, but I don't see any way they can do it.

At LB they'll probably only keep 5, since they like Quincy Williams, Sherwood and Nasirildeen.

As I said above, they have to keep at least 6 CBs.

At S they'll have Whitehead, Joyner, Davis, and one or two of Parks/Riley/Rookie. If they only keep 4 here, that would allow them to keep an extra DL or OL.

I've thought for a long time that active rosters of only 53 players were ridiculous. IMO they need to be at least 55, if not 60. They increased the roster size and the size of the PS during Covid. I think they should make that a permanent increase in both.

16. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I think we keep 10 lineman with 2 being inactive each game day. this is what I came up with after my mock draft

Offense (25)

QB wilson, flacco, white
    WR1 Davis, Berrios
    WR2 Moore, Cole (resign)
    WR3 Olave (R), Mims
    TE Uzomah (FA), Conklin (FA), Wesco,
    OT Becton, Edoga
    OT Fant, Mcdermott
    OC Mcgovern, Jurgens (R)
    OG AVT, Feeny
    OG Tomlinson (FA)
    HB Carter, Coleman, Ford (R)
    FB Bawden

Defense (24)

EDGE JFM, KT (R) Huff
    EDGE Lawson, Martin(FA)
    DT Jones (R), Eliss (R)
    DT Q, Rankins, Thomas (FA)
    LBer Mosley, Quincy, sherwood, nasrildean, phillips
    CB Reed(FA), Hall, Carter, Guidry, Echols
    S Whitehead(FA), Hamilton (R) Joyner, Davis,

NOTE: on big pass rush downs we can line up Lawson, JFM, Q, KT

Special teams (4)
    K Greg the Leg
    P Mann
    LS Hennesey
    GN Hardee

notable PS players
    Jeff Smith WR
    Jonathan Marshall DT
    Pinnock S
    Dunn CB
    Yeboah TE
    Austin Walter RB

17. NCJetsfan

You'd better look again. You only have 9 OL listed. I think your numbers are off. There's no way they only keep 5 CBs. Hardee will be there for STs and that makes 6. IMO they will keep 4-5 DTs and JFM will be one of them and maybe Marshall. I don't know who Eliss, but he won't be there, and Rankins may not be, either. They may keep only 4 safeties, but Hamilton won' t be one of them.

The Jets aren't drafting 2 DTs, they're not drafting Hamilton, and they're not drafting Jurgens. I doubt that they will re-sign Cole. He spit the bit last season. I think you have the DTs listed wrong. Thomas could start beside Q and will rotate with Jones or whomever the rookie DT/NT is. I believe that on obvious passing downs, JFM will be playing beside Q at the other DT spot.

The Jets will be lucky to be able to get 1-2 of Marshall, Pinnock, Dunn and Yeboah onto the PS. I don't see any way they're able to get all 4 there.

God help us if Wesco is the #3 TE and the Jets don't upgrade depth on the OL

18. jdub03

jdub03 Active Member

I think Pinnock will be on the active roster and has a real chance for playing time. He played much better when moved from Corner to Safety.

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2022/01/19/new-york-jets-rookie-jason-pinnock-safety/

I think they absolutely will draft a TE, and with guys that are ready to contribute signed in FA, I bet they take a guy with high upside that needs grooming. A guy like Jelani Woods would fit the bill.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Trade Hall to TX for a 2023 3rd/4th. Texas seems to be taking the same approach to a rebuild as we are. Hall gives them 2 years of starter quality CB play for cheap. We upgrade our secondary and maintain depth and youth.

Problem solved

20. NCJetsfan

I agree that Pinnock could very well be on the active roster. I was just reacting to Gased&Confused's post saying that all 4 of them would be on the PS, and Wesco would be the 3rd TE.