2nd Phase of OTA's start today

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, May 23, 2022.

1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I looked at the games - all of them. I note that you write about looking at stats as if there's something wrong with that and then use his improved interception stats while ignoring those of completion percentage and yardage.

2. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Did I say this anywhere? Or was that just how you perceived my post?

His completion percentage and ypg both went down over the same time span (57.84% down to 53.83% and 194.7 down to 166.6) that I referred to in my previous post but that's to be expected IMO when you're without your top 2 WR's for the vast majority of that same span.

A better indicator of overall play would be QB Rating and QBR. Zach's QB Rate went up from 66.1 over his first 6 games to 75.4 over his last 7 (a marked improvement some would say) and his QBR went from 30.5 to 33.5 (not quite as dramatic but still an improvement).

However, I'll be the first to say that the improvement he showed down the stretch still isn't enough. He's going to have to get more comfortable within the offense and learn to read NFL defenses at a much better rate if he wants to hit his ceiling but he made some strides down the stretch in that department so I'm optimistic.

3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I keep reading over and over two major pro and con arguments:
    either A) the premise that all Wilson’s defenders ignore QB stats to make a case that Wilson’s potential is there, or B) the premise that all Wilson’s critics are blind to any intangibles on the field (the eye test) and make the point solely based on stats in a vacuum as if nothing else matters.
    I disagree on both counts. I see most supporters fully recognize his shortcomings, such as inability to read defenses and or process field information quickly enough, and also see many critics that recognize his intangibles, like superior arm strength, ability to scramble and wip passes on the run, etc.
    IMO there are plenty of great observations from either camp that capture well the pros and cons of his performance on year one. However, in either camp, the thing to me that should be a common ground for commonality,and it’s not, is that is way to early to make a final decision if he is our long term savior or not. I really don’t care if it’s intangibles or stats you are using, or a combination, you don’t declare success or failure of a QB after one season with plenty of ups and downs, not just for Wilson but for any of them.
    Stats are a big measure of QB performance, no denying that. To that point, Inability to quickly process information, read defenses, and to my view of thinking inflexible coaching game plan to keep him in the pocket where his biggest strength is to throw while scrambling on broken plays are eye tests that manifest themselves in poor completion percentage, interceptions, missed opportunities, and the like. There are many more intangibles and complimentary stats to factor in as well.
    Lets don’t forget to include as a measure of QB performance along with errant passes the catching percentage by the offense. While some completely ignore it we had the fifth largest number of receiver drops in the entire league, and we probably lead the league on third down drops so that was not much of a security blanket to lift a rookie QB with major growing pains. Every bit makes a difference.
    Way to early to tell, so remaining cautiously optimistic is probably not a bad road to take, as a lot of pieces need to come together, starting of course with Wilson first and foremost, but it doesn’t totally end there.
    Thing is, if you are a Jet fan, you can’t possibly hope for him to do anything but succeed.

Jets79, Brook!, KY Jets Fan and 2 others like this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I just posted something in the other thread "A QB Story" that speaks to what you're talking about: you can't judge a QB after one year, no matter who he is. It's lengthy, but worth reading IMO.

Jets79 and KY Jets Fan like this.
  5. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Will do, thanks.

cval likes this.
  6. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

7. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Well, waiting for your updates my friend :)

Noam likes this.
  8. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

9. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

10. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

11. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

12. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

13. KY Jets Fan