2nd Phase of OTA's start today

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, May 23, 2022.

1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Thanks….wonder who is the brilliant mind in the background saying “they suck out laud”

#81 LAJet, May 24, 2022
    Last edited: May 24, 2022
    KY Jets Fan likes this.
  2. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

3. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

But but but...he was bad value, he cost the Jets a 5th round pick! That's just unpossible...

(if you can hear a drip it's the slow drip of sarcasm)

apjbfc, Nyjets4eva, rickjet and 5 others like this.
  4. UK_Chilts

UK_Chilts Well-Known Member

I live in the UK so I'm never going to attempt it, but out of interest, how do you get the access to do that? You've just fist pumped half the roster !!!

Great coverage. Enjoyed watching it.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  5. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

This is Jets Social Media crew. No fans are allowed at OTA’s. But you can get tickets to watch practices live during training camp in August.

UK_Chilts, KY Jets Fan and Noam like this.
  6. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

To @Brook! 's point, that's the Jets social media crew.

I'm just the guy that posts what other Jets-related people post on Twitter.

Boy, do I wish that was me though!! haha

UK_Chilts, Noam and Brook! like this.
  7. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

8. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

Absolutely a great trade up for JD, this kid is special & will help take the pressure off Zach!!!

azhar80 and Nyjets4eva like this.
  9. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

My QB is thick and looking good that’s what I took from this thread so far

Noam likes this.
  10. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Connor Hughes Podcast covering yesterday's OTA practice. I can't tell you if the podcast is good or bad as I am listening to it now but I am hoping after the annoying Connor Hughes personal life unnecessary information that there is something of substance.

KingRoach and Borat like this.
  11. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

yes. within a larger overall randomness, streaks exist.

12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

So his brain is 'thicker' too?

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  13. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

He is saying felt like a walk in a park, not a real practice. He is concerned about it, and to be quite frank so am I. I know Saleh is playerss coach, and maybe I am old school, but practices should not feel easy.... Hopefully he will ramp it up.

REVISion likes this.
  15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Not sure how much they can ramp up a voluntary Ota.The union barely lets them practice during training camp.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

According to Connor, this was by far the weakest OTA practice of any team he has ever seen.

17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Doesn't mean shit what he thinks. Last year we had eye watering OTAs. Forgive me if I think Saleh knows far more about how to conduct practices and avoid injuries than fucking Connor. What’s his claim of fame? Doing a podcast on his opinion.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

It's not Connor's opinion that I care about - but the fact other teams are going harder. It's not that Saleh knows more than Connor, it's weather Saleh knows more than all other NFL coaches who have harder OTAs. Also, it does make sense logically that with only a few days of practice, there would be some intensity, particularly on the youngest team in NFL.

HomeoftheJets and BrowningNagle like this.
  19. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This is a fun overreaction. Usually it's just about players having a good or bad OTA practice in May. Now it's the coaching staff.

cval, themorey and FJF like this.
  20. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

How hard you go during practices is a balancing act between trying to help people improve vs avoiding injury. How you strike that balance is partly dependent on circumstances. Our circumstances include:

a) Various segments of our roster have exciting starters but serious depth concerns. Our starting OL could be a top-ten line, but we have a huge drop-off if one of them goes down. Same problem with safeties and linebackers (although we may not even have exciting starters at LB). We learned the hard way last year what happens when you lose Lawson/Becton/Joyner before the first game of the season is over. Saleh & Co. may feel the downside of losing significant starters again -- especially while we try to help Zach develop -- is scary enough that it's worth sacrificing whatever extra development the players get by having more intense OTAs.

b) The early part of our schedule is murder. We really need to keep our starters as healthy as possible for those first 8 games if we're going to have any chance of winning even a few of them. We may be able to play without a key starter or two on the back 9, but the front 9 would kill us. Also, it's not the end of the world if a bunch of those early games are learning experiences (losses) that get us some of the development we would otherwise get with a more aggressive offseason.

c) We actually have a chance to be a very interesting team this year, but it's not the end of the world if we just look decent and 2023 is our year. No one wants to jinx things by saying this out loud, but I'll say it anyway: If Zach steps up, and if our starters stay reasonably healthy, and if our big-time rookie draft picks make a reasonable contribution, and if our free agents are as good as advertised, then this could be a more exciting year than any of us are willing to say out loud. I'm not predicting that we make the playoffs (I predict we will not), but there's an outside chance that this could turn into an exciting year in the unlikely event all the pieces fall into place. It would be a shame to nix that possibility by getting starters seriously hurt in practice. On the other hand, we don't need to risk injury in the name of maximizing OTA player development because we don't need hurry our player development to win every game in the gauntlet that is our opening 8 games anyway.

I wouldn't be opposed to the coaching staff pushing the players harder if they think that's appropriate. But I do believe there are times when injury avoidance is the top priority, and if they think this is such a time, I'm OK with that too.