2024 Roster Moves

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, May 14, 2024.

1. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Apparently Tarik Cohen is retiring--which shows how heavy Saleh shovels bullshit as he just recently remarked about how much TC is showing. IDK--maybe I'm being to negative on Saleh but I don't even care to listen to his pressers anymore due to erroneous bs and sticking his foot in his mouth.

"He looks really good—definitely like he's getting his legs under him." Saleh said. "He definitely has that short-area quickness"

SOJAZ and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That's too bad about Cohen. I like him and was rooting for him. I think he definitely could have contributed as a returner and on offense.

3. NCJetsfan

https://nypost.com/2024/08/01/sports/jets-running-back-tarik-cohen-retires-in-stunning-decision/

Tarik Cohen, who was attempting to make a comeback this summer with the Jets, informed the team he is going to retire.

Cohen, 29, was an All-Pro returner for the Bears in 2018 but injuries had derailed his career.

His last NFL regular-season game was in 2020 when he broke his leg and tore two ligaments in his knee.

He missed the rest of the 2020 season and all of 2021 before trying to come back in 2022 when he tore his Achilles tendon. He spent last year on the practice squad of the Panthers.

The Jets signed Cohen this spring partially because of the new kickoff rules. The team thought Cohen might be able to be one of their returners. He looked good in the spring and during the first week of camp.

On Tuesday, he spoke of how good he felt and his journey back to being in playing shape.

“I definitely feel all the way back,” Cohen said. “I’m just trying to show the Jets the explosiveness that I have, the smartness that I’ve gained from being in the league, and lift as I rise — help all the guys in my position group.”

Two days later, he apparently changed his mind.

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I don't think its Saleh BSing, Cohen probably has looked pretty good in camp and may even have deserved a spot. He hasn't been in the league for years for nothin', he can play...

Joe Douglas makes the roster decisions though. I have a feeling it was made known to Cohen from the front office that he was unlikely to make the team so he said why bother being out here everyday then
    --

It was an uphill battle anyway. Douglas aint going to cut his draft picks and he's selected 4 running backs in the last 3 drafts.

#24 BrowningNagle, Aug 1, 2024
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2024
  5. NCJetsfan

Does JD and/or other NFL GMs make final roster decisions alone, or does the HC make them or do they make those decisions jointly?

6. NCJetsfan

Tanner Phifer
    @TannerPhiferNFL
    The #Jets have signed former Renegades WR Isaiah Winstead, per source. He had a good workout and was signed after. Congratulations friend!

MLFootball
    @_MLFootball

BREAKING: UFL star wide receiver Isaiah Winstead is signing with the New York #Jets, his agent Jordan Rassam exclusively tells
    @_MLFootball
    , Winstead, 24, 6-foot-4, was a star at East Carolina & spent time with the #49ers. HE IS A NASTY ROUTE RUNNER

Video of Winstead: https://x.com/_MLFootball/status/1819128098186551403

He was a 2023 UDFA of the Niners

He ran a 4.77 40. Here's a link to some of his other measurables: https://draftscout.com/dsprofile.php?PlayerId=1052409&DraftYear=2023

#26 NCJetsfan, Aug 1, 2024
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2024
  7. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yeah, and honestly you’d rather go with youth at the RB spot anyway

8. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I agree your scenario is reasonable--Tarik may have caught on with another team if he looked good in PreSeas--he not only determined he wasn't go to make the NYJ but that he's out of football entirely--so there's more than just a NYJ numbers game perhaps

9. NCJetsfan

Ptflea2 likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/jets-sign-deon-jackson-08-07-2024

The Jets cut Hamze el Zayat and signed RB Deon Johnson.

The Jets have signed RB Deon Jackson and released WR Hamze El-Zayat.

Jackson (5-11, 216), 25, spent time with the Giants, the Colts and the Browns last season, playing in a total of four games and rushing for 16 yards and a first down. He signed with the Colts after going undrafted in 2021 out of Duke and spent two seasons with Indianapolis, playing in 25 games (2 starts) and rushing for 267 yards and 2 touchdowns. He played for the Blue Devils from 2017-20 and amassed 2,267 rushing yards and 18 touchdowns.

El-Zayat (5-8, 179), 24, signed with New York after participating in the Jets' rookie minicamp. He spent the first 13 days of training camp with the team prior to being cut. He began his college career at Fordham before he transferred to Eastern Michigan in 2022. He did not play in the '22 season and totaled 27 receptions, 360 yards and 2 touchdowns last season. El-Zayat was a three-year starter at Fordham and led the team with 62 receptions in his first year as a starter in 2019. Like Jets HC Robert Saleh, El-Zayat attended Fordson High School in Dearborn, MI.

11. NCJetsfan

New York Jets

@nyjets

We have signed TE Neal Johnson and LB Anthony Hines. We have released LB Jimmy Ciarlo and CB Myles Jones.

12. NCJetsfan

Brook! likes this.
  13. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

Jets fans really hate their own. It's wild. The amount of straw grasping one has to do to try to blame Saleh or discredit him in this situation is insane.

14. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

No offense but you take every ambiguous statement and look at it negatively--look in the mirror bro lol