2024 NFL Season - Preseason Week 3: Jets vs Giants

Discussion in 'Game Threads' started by Brook!, Aug 18, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Can't the same thing be said from the perspective of SF? I doubt they've been playing their starters. Do you know?

The most important training I'm hoping for is that Rodgers has learned to fall down when play is done ala 40+ Brady

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

SF was hit hard with injuries and sickness. They cancelled a joint practice with the Saints because of lack of healthy bodies.

It is good we got them week 1

NYJalltheway likes this.
  3. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Do you have more news on this?

Where did you hear this?

Sent from my genius mind.

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I heard it on SiriusXM NFL radio back when the news broke but I just found this now from the NY Times

49ers’ joint practices with Saints canceled as injuries mount for San Francisco - The Athletic (nytimes.com)

"The San Francisco 49ers’ joint practices with the New Orleans Saints later this week? They’re not happening. The 49ers decided to scuttle the planned trip to Irvine, Calif., on Thursday and Friday because their roster is so banged up.

Coach Kyle Shanahan said Saturday night that 23 players missed the most recent practice on Thursday.

Others who are currently dealing with injuries include RB Christian McCaffrey (calf), LB Fred Warner (foot), WR Ricky Pearsall (hamstring), WR Jacob Cowing (hamstring), CB Isaac Yiadom (ankle), RB Elijah Mitchell (hamstring), P Mitch Wishnowsky (knee), CB Darrell Luter Jr., RB Patrick Taylor Jr., LB Demetrius Flannigan-Fowles, RB Isaac Guerendo, OL Jon Feliciano, OL Spencer Burford, DL Sam Okuayinonu, and DL Jordan Elliott.

Meanwhile, receiver Brandon Aiyuk and tackle Trent Williams are not taking part in training camp due to contract disputes."

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I guess we'll have to wait until the Super Bowl to play them at full strength.

Cman68, NYJalltheway, stinkyB and 2 others like this.
  6. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly on the play Rodgers tore his ACL, he was moving to his right and then fell down in agony. The Bills never touched him on that play.

7. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Hey man--regarding Achilles, his foot was in the grasp of a DL and he tried to yank it out.

No-one says this is related, but he was having calf issues on that leg in the preseason too.

mezzavo and GREG like this.
  8. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I will be tailgating with my Brooklyn mafia crew at Lot D2.

Anybody planning to go to the game, please stop by for a free beer. PM me for exact details. :)

stinkyB and themorey like this.
  9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Actually SF play their starters the first half.

IDFjet likes this.
  10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Hope the game solidifies the remaining jewels that will populate the original 53 and practice squad. Focus on QB, Izzy, Brownlee, back up LB, CB, and both back up OL and DL. It will be a tough down select. I’ll be watching to the end.
    I was hoping for a few sets with the starting O but I can see the reluctance. Particularly when you are playing against back ups overly eager to make the team. We have seen this movie before many times, critical injuries in the pre season.

BacktoQueens and UK_Chilts like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Following are the depth charts for both the offensive and defensive players in tonights game. I found this on another Jets fan site, and thought it might be of interest and use to you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#31 NCJetsfan, Aug 24, 2024
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2024
  12. NCJetsfan

Maybe I'm being delusional, but I'm not that worried about SF. Their starting LT is still holding out. Their best WR is still holding out. A rookie WR they're high on, is still injured and not practicing. They've had 26 other players injured during TC. They're not going to be any better prepared than the Jets are. At least our starting OL has been practicing together for two weeks, including two practices against other teams.

NYJalltheway likes this.
  13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Awsome chart but might have duplicated the O twice. No D

14. NCJetsfan

Oops! You're right! I missed that. I'll fix it! Thanks!

15. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Brook! in the house.

Great tailgate. Excellent weather. Wish starters played at least 2 series.[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mezzavo, BacktoQueens and Cman68 like this.
  16. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

It's all a recipe for an upset for sure. Aiyuk is good, but what I've been eyeing more is Williams still holding out ( apparently, he's happy playing a lot of golf) and Purdy having a sloppy camp. These in my opinion are bigger deals.

LAJet and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

Jets-Giants Preseason Game Preview | 5 Reasons to Watch
    As Aaron Rodgers and the Starters Rest; 1 Game Remains Before the NFL’s Final Cutdown on Tuesday
    Aug 24, 2024 at 12:16 PM

After wrapping up training camp this week, the Jets will complete their preseason slate Saturday night against the Giants at MetLife Stadium. Head coach Robert Saleh sat 28 and 32 players, respectively, in wins over Washington and Carolina and he'll end the preseason with Aaron Rodgers and his starters as spectators a final time.

"It's going to be consistent with what we've done the first two games," said Saleh, who also added, "I feel like we've gotten so much good work with three quality opponents over the course of three weeks. Last year, we didn't scrimmage with the Giants. This year, we've had three different scrimmages, and I feel like the work we've gotten in has been very productive."

Not only do the Jets have a 40-year-old star quarterback in Rodgers, who has been excellent in practices, but Saleh, in his fourth year at the helm, just put his team through a rigorous camp.

"I think it's different because our first year we were still a very young team, young staff," said Saleh. "This is Year 4 four really speaking the same languages all the way across the board. We needed those reps. If you remember that year it was high volume, and we were still playing. We were scrimmaging against teams, and we still went out during the game because we needed it. And it's not that we don't need it, it's just that this is a much more veteran group. We've gotten four years under our belts of playing the game side -by -side, so now it's just an allocation because it's all about reps and how many reps you need to get yourself ready to play."

Speaking of decisions, the Jets have a 53-man roster deadline at 4 p.m. Tuesday. While the Jets-Giants contest won't count in the standings, it could have significant implications for multiple players vying for a position or a job somewhere else. Here are 5 reasons to watch:

Defensive Tackle Battle
    Can a fifth DT push for a spot? Quinnen Williams, Javon Kinlaw, Solomon Thomas and Leki Fotu are the top four players on the unofficial depth chart. Bruce Hector, who's bounced around all over the map since signing with the Eagles in 2018, has quietly had a strong camp and has totaled 6 tackles and 2 TFL in two games. Rookie Leonard Taylor, an undrafted free agent from Miami, has made some splash plays and produced 3 TFL. Tanzel Smart, who lined up in seven games for the Jets in 2022-23, is another familiar name in the mix.

Landscape at Wideout
    The Jets' top five seem firmly in place with star Garrett Wilson joined by Mike Williams, who is off PUP but has yet to take team drills; Xavier Gipson; Allen Lazard; and Malachi Corley. Irv Charles had 6 special teams stops last season and the Jets are replacing Justin Hardee (FA, Cleveland) on coverage units. Jason Brownlee has rebounded from a slow start to camp, and he could add to his résumé Saturday night while catching passes from Adrian Martinez. Brandon Smith, a 6-2, 220-pounder from Iowa, has averaged 20.3 yards a catch on his 4 receptions.

Izzy Could Get Busy
    The Jets have a roster highlighted by its frontline talent and depth. Running back is a prime example as Breece Hall was joined in the offseason by the impressive rookie duo of Braelon Allen and Isaiah Davis. Allen, the powerful back from Wisconsin, has averaged 5.8 yards on his 14 preseason attempts. Davis has caught 5 balls and been used in the return game as well. Israel Abanikanda, a fifth-round pick from Pittsburgh in 2023, continues to run hard and could see a lot of action against the Giants. It will be interesting to see how many backs the Jets keep on Tuesday.

Fortified Offensive Line
    The Jets' new-look offensive line has Robert Saleh excited heading into the season.

"I love the way our O-line is coming together, and I'm not just talking about their play style," said Saleh. " I'm just talking about they actually like being around each other. I've always said it with the defense – the defense likes being around each other. The offense, you see certain position groups, I think they're actually starting to enjoy being around one another because there's a lot of like minds. And I've liked the way they've come together, the way they root for one another, the way they play for one another and other, the way they communicate with one another – it's turning into a pretty cool group."

Beyond the starters, the depth has improved significantly. Olu Fashanu has been cross-training at both tackle spots, and Ts Carter Warren and Max Mitchell can play either side. Wes Schweitzer is a valuable depth piece in an interior group that also includes Chris Glaser, Xavier Newman and Jake Hanson. If the Jets keep 10 OL, how many spots are left to claim?

Return to Glory
    The Jets' current return options include Xavier Gipson ,and rookies Isiah Davis and Malachi Corley, but there's another first-year player who is looking to build off a dynamic effort last Saturday in Carolina. Brandon Codrington, who had 4 return TDs at North Carolina Central, raced for a 63-yard kickoff return and added a 31-yard punt return in the third quarter of the Green & White's 15-12 win over the Panthers. He has a chance to leave a lasting impression at MetLife Stadium as the NFL enters a new phase with the dynamic kickoff.

Brook! likes this.
  18. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Iam waiting for the second half of the SF opener to see the real team come to life ..it’s always a slow grow with this team ..Right??. The real warm up is the first half of real game #1

So tonight’s game doesnt count for sh*t and we shouldn’t tempt the fate of our starters period

Why gamble?

19. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I this going to be the game thread?

20. NCJetsfan

Yes, that's what Brook! said.

Brook! likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.