2024 NFL Free Agency News and Rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Mar 8, 2024.

1. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Pretty much all the free agent OTs still around. A few starting-caliber guards and few centers too. Still early!

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  2. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

He had no intention of keeping him. Mute point. Will see how he does on another team. We are fine defensively with or without him, we need all ammunition on The O.

3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I think McDonald will do just fine. People were bitching as well when we drafted JJ.

4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Everything is a moot point with JD. Doing a pick swap, losing Broderick Jones, losing Huff. Btw, Ezra Cleveland, another moot point for JD, a solid G who was available for a 6th round pick around trade deadline last year, was just resigned by the Jags for 3 year 24 mil, 14.5 guaranteed: https://jaguarswire.usatoday.com/2024/03/08/ezra-cleveland-jaguars-salary-cap-contract/

This could and should have been us, and a lot of us were begging for this at the time. This is a significant upgrade over Laken for half the price. But yeah, a moot point indeed.

blackssmagic and Jets79 like this.
  5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Not true. People wanted a pass rusher desperately at that time. Everyone was ecstatic to get JJ. I think we can all agree 2022 draft was universally praised. 2023 - not so much.

6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

You can just smell it in the air. The Vikings would have overpaid us handsomely for Rodgers, if we would have been rebuilding instead of running it all back.

mezzavo and BrowningNagle like this.
  7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

We keep revisiting the past, which is all good and well, but it does not help the now one iota. There was no way Huff was in the cards after the moves made last year and the horrific results. So now he has to produce much better results will a lot less capital.

8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Not right, many though he was not the right move.

9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

IMO both the Barkley and more so the Cousin deals are a major stretch and overly expensive. I’m not going to go out and applauded either of them.

10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

How do you figure that?

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I thought Barkley’s deal was pretty friendly. There’s no long term commitment that would cripple the cap and if it’s structured correctly, it’s probably really only a two year deal ($26 million guaranteed).

We weren’t in the market for a running back so I wouldn’t have paid that if I’m the Jets but the Giants are dopes for how they handled Jones & Barkley. Saquon was a much bigger part of their 2022 playoff berth IMO than Daniel Jones was.

mezzavo, Mogriffjr and James Hasty like this.
  12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

damn that would be great

ouchy likes this.
  13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don’t think so. Their management usually makes pretty realistic sound decisions. I get that they did it with Favre but it’s even more the reason that a franchise like them wouldn’t make the same mistake twice.

They have a really good infrastructure to draft a young QB and toss them in there with a cast that’ll take pressure off them.

14. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

Nah. Outside the hype train bs the writing was already on the wall with Rodgers' best days being clearly behind him. Nobody else was touching him or his baggage with that contract last year. His body giving out on him 4 plays into last season didn't change that.

Now watching Russ sign for $1.2m today. That is the regretful smell in the air atm/imo. Russ had a better overall game manager season last year then Rodgers had in 2022. I mean Woody doing Woody things and fawning all over him and his ego better then Pittsburgh did probably gets that done. No super expensive contract. No Hackett. No turning our best HC since Rex into a neutered simp after literally making the QB his boss. No having to budget in extra precious cap spending for a guy's friends since Russ doesn't have any.

In that different reality playthrough this team is so much better off overall.

15. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Because their owner/chairman, WIlf, over values big name QBs. Especially ones that were in their division. Now they are in a pickle without a QB. It would have been an easy sale if we started negotiations after the SB.

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'd rather sign Tyler Boyd. He's not an outside WR, but his hands are solid, which imo is what we need. We don't need Davis back dropping passes. Boyd is said to probably get a contract for $8.5 million that's a lot better than $13 or $14 million.

RochesterJet likes this.
  17. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Barkley's going to kill it with a real OL in Philly next season. Happy for him to get his shot. He paid his dues.

Minshew off the board. 2 years, $25M. Too rich for the Jets but damn I would've loved to have that guy. All heart and clutch.

Greg the leg was actually a good re-sign for us. He's solid with great range.

Will the Jets sign any OL, WR or backup QB? Let's see.

mezzavo and James Hasty like this.
  18. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Breece Hall tweeting some displeasure over no O-lineman being signed yet. (No idea how to link it)

19. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Minshew signed for $12.5mil/yr. The tricky thing for the Jets will be the high end backups looking for starting opportunities and Minshew could get it in Vegas but here only with injury.
    Would love if they could get Brissett but I honestly doubt it.

LAJet likes this.
  20. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Nah they really dont. When WIlf got there in 2006, they seriously over drafted Tarvaris Jackson, a 6th round projection, in the second round. Following Farve, they gave up two picks for McNabb in 2011. Then traded a 1st in 2016 for Sam Bradford. Then a record contract to Cousins. Wilf goes after QB bait, and Rodgers in Minn would make perfect sense to him.

#180 ouchy, Mar 11, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2024