2024 NFL Free Agency News and Rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Mar 8, 2024.

1. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

That's absolutely nuts. Meanwhile Graham Glasgow, a solid starting IOL, got like 6mil/yr. No need to do this JD^

2. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Jets79, tomdeb, ouchy and 1 other person like this.
  3. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

Given the current roster makeup and OC we have running the show? Yes, it's too much.

We are realistically going to need to overspend on any decent OL upgrade we manage to convince to come here. That needs to get all the priority investment focus atm/imo. Can concern ourselves about trying to budget in more min/max and limited WR2 opportunity production after that gets settled.

4. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

5. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I don't disagree that the OL should take priority but I also think we should find a way to improve at WR this offseason too.

ouchy likes this.
  6. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Granted I dont come around here all that much anymore but people were complaining about a 4th for Sutton?! That's an absolute no brainer.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  8. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Still in the rumor stage but the wires have lit up about us going after Tee Higgins. Supposedly even Breece Hall thinks we should do it.

The talk being thrown around is our 1st next year.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  9. JetFanInPA

Really a bummer to see Bryce Huff, a home-grown pass rushing stud walk in free agency. The money was pretty high but probably too much given their other needs and the DL depth they have - even though the guy replacing him is inferior at this point.

I'll (try) to just say this one more time. What a screw-up in last year's draft. Some of it's hindsight now, but what a damn shame they didn't go with any one of the three solid WRs instead of Will McDonald. If so, we'd be almost set at WR and would be more easily able to resign Huff. JD really f'ed that one up. Spent a 1st round pick on a (at best) lateral move. One of the worst moves he's made. McDonald did flash last year and I do think he could end up being a good player, but that pick moved the needle backwards, not forward.

#89 JetFanInPA, Mar 11, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2024
    mezzavo, papapump, REVISion and 5 others like this.
  10. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Massive massive flop from JD. Asset mismanagement at it's finest. Joe Douglas suffers from a really bad case of "smartest guy in the room" syndrome and this may be the icing on his cake.

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I was never a big Gabe Davis guy but that seems like a steal at $13 million/year.

12. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Maybe Huff will suck in his new role. Who knows?

ouchy likes this.
  13. Kronoking

You can likely still do that with a guy like Curtis Samuel or OBJ. Maybe even Boyd. And still have a chunk of extra money left over to boost your competitive offer if need be on the OL guy you might not otherwise get.

There shouldn't be any question whether Joe D did all he reasonable could in free agency to get some of these guys to come here. Investing a bunch of extra capital into a guy that never fully rebounded from his 2020 ACL tear before you get the OL squared away presents a priority question imo.

Shame on Huff .

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  14. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I'd support it if it happens because a GW/Higgins combo for the next 5+ years sounds like a ton of fun, regardless of who is at QB.

However, I might be in the minority here but I don't love the idea of trading a 1st rounder and change and then paying Tee Higgins 25M+ per year. Might look like a fool if/when he dominates the league for the next 5-10 years but it won't be the first time I'm wrong nor the last.

15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

If the Jets improve the OL and receiving corps in free agency, you can live with Huff walking at that number.

If we end up with Baktiari and Byron Pringle, Joe has some splaining to do.

Brook!, blackssmagic, mezzavo and 3 others like this.
  16. Kronoking

This would be so gross with the most likely seasonal outcome on the reality board right now.

F that.

mezzavo and ouchy like this.
  17. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

There is some truth here. Huff only had one good year. I've never been wild about committing big money for one big year.

mezzavo, Nyjets4eva and dmw like this.
  18. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

It would be a horrible deal for the future, but a huge deal for going all in this season.

19. JetFanInPA

I don't disagree with letting Bryce Huff walk at this point all things considered. I do disagree with the process to get us the point where him walking might have been the best thing to do

ouchy likes this.
  20. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

If Gabe Davis is getting 13M AAV, I can't see any of the 3 you mentioned signing for much less than that, other than maybe OBJ just because he's not going to have too many more bites at the apple.

I just don't see a 4th and 13-14M over 2 seasons as that bad for a guy like Sutton, maybe I'm wrong though.