2024 NFL Free Agency News and Rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Mar 8, 2024.

1. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Between the need for safety depth and now more special teams help, they should really bring back Ashtyn Davis

2. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Was just coming here to say this.

JetFanInPA likes this.
  3. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Wow. Losing Diggs and Gabriel Davis for a team that already needed WR help. Shakir is a good player though and I think Samuel will be for them too, but they'll be locked into a WR in the 1st now. That group needs more help.

Not mad about Diggs being out of the division!

SOJAZ, NCJetsfan and ouchy like this.
  4. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

5. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The Bills were in cap hell and Diggs was a big part of it. This move will save them 19 million this year and considerably more in future years.

It will be interesting to see what they get for him.

6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

they only get a 2025 2nd and they are sending more picks with Diggs haha

Diggs is worth the money at times he was one of the few guys with some heart on that team

mezzavo and ouchy like this.
  7. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Opens up the division a bit more for the Jets I think. .

Buffalo looks to be a team in transition? They may be thinking that core took them as far as it will take them? They couldn't get past KC.

They still have Allen so they should be pretty good still but no Diggs is a huge hole in what's been their offense ever since he got there.

Jets79 likes this.
  8. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I saw on NFL.com that the trade hits them with $30M+ in dead cap money…maybe that’s for next year not this year?

ouchy likes this.
  9. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Its over the next 3 years (8 million this year). They still owed him 100 million. He was set to earn 27 million this year, and the Texans are only having to pay him 18.

Jets79 likes this.
  10. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Well my initial reaction is that I’m glad he’s not on Buffalo anymore…would have preferred him go to the NFC…man that Texans team is loading up…but glad he’s out of our division. But that’s the beauty of having a franchise QB…you can play a little looser with the receivers because you know your QB will elevate those guys, as opposed to the other way around.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Yep, and we play Houston again this year.

12. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

I definitely approve of this message!:)

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That's fair, and I agree with that.

14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Not only did the Bills trade him, they gave Houston a draft pick or two, and all they got in return was Houston's 2025 2nd round pick that they got from Minnesota. In addition, the Bills will take a $31 million dead money hit on the cap, the largest ever dead money hit according to Jason of OvertheCap.com, and it was more than his salary of $27.9 million. They must have really wanted to get rid of him! Why? Was he a cancer in the lockerroom?

A poster on another site, posited that the Bills may change their offense since they have two high quality TEs, and go with a two TE offense, with Samuel in the slot, and then add a WR in the draft. That's interesting.

15. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

16. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Diggs was set to earn 28 million a year for the next 3 years. They bailed while he was still worth something, and maybe to get rid of someone whose complaining. He might be the biggest WR dead cap ever? The biggest are QBs.

The Broncos just took an 85 million DC on Wilson.
    The Packers took a 40 million DC to trade us Rodgers. (Yeah, they were willing to eat 40 miliion to get rid of the guy)
    The Falcons took a 40 million DC on Matt Ryan.
    Even TB took a 35 million DC on Tom Brady.

We got a huge DC coming down the pipe at us as well. If something happens with Rodgers this year, we will take a 49 million DC on him next year. If we keep him next year, we will take a 35 million DC on him in 2026.

#799 ouchy, Apr 3, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2024
  17. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

This.

I never viewed Diggs as "elite". He's just a "good to great at times" WR who when provided with the opportunity looks a lot better then the next good one not getting 160+ targets. Like give Curtis Samuel 160+ targets and he's likely gonna be a 1100+ yard WR too. But that is generally something that has gotten lost in the massive over-correction that has happened the last few years in how people perceive WR value (which now needs to be corrected back in the other direction imo).

I felt Houston was in a good spot with it's young core of guys assuming one can be optimistic on Dell being ready to go to start 2024. A 2nd for an expensive 1 year rental on a 30 yo guy coming in from being a previous locker room problem was a little steep imo, and more something I'd totally expect our always over reaching FO to totally buy into.