2024 NFL Free Agency News and Rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Mar 8, 2024.

1. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I would rather have Rodgers playing QB for the jets than Fields or Russ. The first time Russ has a 3 INT game, the Steelers fans will be yelling for Fields.
    Both Russ and Fields are QBs that LAST years teams (Broncos and Bears) did not want around in 2024 and likely for good reason.

2. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

What do you mean "theory"? Nobody is at the point of dismissing away a concern over ACL tears. Especially on older guys who aren't early 20s spring chickens anymore. Look at the explosiveness difference between Chris Godwin or Michael Gallup pre and post ACL for latter guys in their latter 20's if you want to see an example of concerning.

If MW gets a relatively cheap 1 year flyer contract that is one thing. If we have to pay a premium market price he ain't gonna end up being worth it imo. Again, Tyron Smith was a great signing, but I draw the "I'm good with him only playing 10 games" need line there. Stacking up a bunch of bigger signings you have to realistically expect are all going to miss a notable chunk of games behind a VERY advanced age QB isn't the 2024 answer here imo. It's not good GM'ing either.

3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Wait until you realize Rodgers is a QB that a TWO YEARS AGO team (Packers) did not want around in 2023 and likely for good reason.

blackssmagic, BrowningNagle and ouchy like this.
  4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Apparently Russ was not wanted in Seattle nor in Denver. Fields could have been had for a song and no one but the Steelers were even remotely interested. So to your way of looking at it, if there was a good reason in GB, which in my view was not due to QB performance at all, there must have been one hell of a reason in Seattle/Denver and Chicago to toss them out for nothing I suppose.

#644 LAJet, Mar 19, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2024
    SOJAZ and tomdeb like this.
  5. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Russell wasn't wanted in Seattle because he was worth a massive haul. Apparently 5 teams wanted Fields but he only wanted to go the Pitt, and Chicago made it happen for him. We were wanting Fields to backup Rodgers - not in place of him.

Although I'll maintain we should have traded Rodgers to Minn as soon as the SB ended.

6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The Seahawks didn't want to pay Wilson big money and instead traded him for a haul. Very different from the Steelers signing him for cheap. The Bears wanted to bet the franchise on Williams instead of Fields, and keeping Fields around to back up Williams wouldn't have been the right thing to do from a players are people too perspective. Again very different from the Steelers trading a late rounder for Fields to back up Wilson. The Broncos meanwhile are dysfunctional and if they did something, it was probably wrong.

7. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

What...did Rodgers kick your dog, or something? Frankly, don't understand either your love for Fields and Russell Wilson and/or your dislike for Rodgers.

8. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

That’s fair. You can say that about any player though. If you give any player more volume they would have more stats.

unfortunately, it won’t be in year 3 for him cause he’s not going to get more catches then Conklin

and then I doubt in year 4 he just exploded

it’s just not going to happen brother

9. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

I'm not sold Minny does that.Rodgers clearly had the better career, but outside the current bubble takes of a NYJ fanbase Kirk Cousins is the clearly better QB asset to have today.

*Maybe* the shorter commitment has some appeal for Minny with there being no guarantee you'll be able to re-sign Cousins, but it's still a messy downgrade transition for them to make there before that played out to be a certainty. Where a lot of PR and fan backlash immediately jumps on the "wtf. If we can pay a 41yo declining Rodgers that much money why can't we just pay Cousins who unlike Rodgers is still putting up top line #'s?" bandwagon. I mean it's not like you can lean into the one big surface level perception knock people have on Cousins as justification, given outside 2010 nobody has taken more collective "comes up small when it matters most" perception flack then Aaron Rodgers.

10. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

I have wanted AJ Dillon for a few years now

LAJet and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Me too, but he re-signed with GB. I don't keep up with players on other teams. but looking at the list of FA RBs who are still available and looking at their sizes, it looks to me like the only "power" backs that are still available are Cam Akers, D'Onta Foreman, and Latavius Murray. Are any of them worth adding?

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Since it doesn't look like Joe Douglas is going to entertain a power back in FA, I will go ahead and pretend I live in a world where he drafts Braelon Allen from Wisconsin in the middle rounds.

KY Jets Fan, NCJetsfan and Nyjets4eva like this.
  13. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I am happy with the recent signings but curious about our current cao situation.

If we just gave Mike Williams a one year deal for $15 mil that would put a dent in our remaining space.

14. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

incentives take it up to 15m but that doesn’t mean that full amount is against our cap. Depends on the wording of the contract and such

James Hasty likes this.
  15. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

16. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

Foreman is a guy that I have watched since playing in Texas. In my opinion he is better value than AJ Dillon for comparable production. I would sign him without a doubt.

Nyjets4eva and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Eric Foreman doesn't play football.

Sent from my genius mind.

JetFanInNE likes this.
  18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I live in South Texas and my grocery carries Taylor ham now.

Fiftynine likes this.
  19. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

20. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Would love to see it but failed upload

Sent from my genius mind.

Nyjets4eva likes this.