2024 NFL Free Agency News and Rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Mar 8, 2024.

1. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Tyler Boyd. Not sure why we haven't went for him.

- Less injury history
    - Younger
    - Cheaper

Sent from my genius mind.

ouchy and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

They want a Ferrari and Tyler Boyd is a Supra.

3. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

I'll take a Monte Carlo at this point.

Sent from my genius mind.

blackssmagic and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Just to clarify, I don't mean they are same type of player or character. I am only talking about age. Around this age is where WRs usually decline pretty rapidly. Even if they don't beat their wives.

5. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

FYI some contract details being reported by Cimini. These do make the recent moves even better than we initially thought from a financial perspective. Nice work JD.

"Compensation update: LG John Simpson: two years, $12M ($6M gtd). Cap charge this year: $3.2M The Javon Kinlaw contract, which nearly caused a riot on X, now is listed with a $2.85M cap charge with void years, per OverTheCap. A reduction of more than $4M. Kinlaw still is making $7.25M in cash for one year. Owners thinks about the cash, while fans focus on the salary cap. #Jets

Base value on Tyrod Taylor's contract: 2 years/$12M. Includes $8.5M gtd and a $2.8M cap charge in 2024. (The cap is so low because of three void years) The guarantee is sizable. Of all the backup QBs that were free agents, only Gardner Minshew ($15M) and Sam Darnold ($8.75M) received larger guarantees than Taylor -- and they could be bridge starters. #Jets

Compensation updates: CB Isaiah Oliver: 1 year/$2.5M ($2.2M gtd) S Chuck Clark: 1 year/$2M ($705K gtd) TE Kenny Yeboah: 1 year/$1.4M ($225K gtd) G Jake Hanson: 1 year/$1.1M ($45K gtd)"

My thoughts: Simpson deal is really solid. They've been able to add three starters to the OL for not much money at all. Kinlaw's deal sounds much more reasonable now from a cap perspective. Same with Tyrod's.
    For Oliver's money, they certainly expect him to make the team and contribute.
    Yeboah didn't get much money, but he did get more than the vet minimum. Tells me they do think somewhat highly of him.
    If Chuck Clark resumes his pre-ACL tear form, that's a steal.
    They're in a better cap situation than I'd thought given this new info

6. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I think they want a Ferrari at a Supra price

NCJetsfan and BleedJetsGreen1981 like this.
  7. abyzmul

Joe will end up with a kit car.

8. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

More financials updates. This is pretty amazing. Per Zack Rosenblatt:

"The #Jets saved $8.1 million in 2024 cap space by cutting Laken Tomlinson. They’ll spend $8.71 million in cap space this season on their new RT (Morgan Moses) and LG (John Simpson)."

9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Outstanding.

NCJetsfan and SOJAZ like this.
  10. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Very nice! Shit, you could argue it would STILL be a great move even if the numbers were reversed!

But this is why I refuse to get all worked up about cap space anymore. If a team WANTS to create cap space, it’s not that hard to do. Even if you push money to the future, in a sport where the salary cap always goes up, and sometimes by a lot, it actually make a lot of sense to push money out where each dollar of cap space will be less proportionately than it is this year. Not that you push everything, but there is a financial model that makes sense of pushing money to the future.

And this is what’s frustrating about JD…he’s made some very nice moves, and has been kind of resting on his laurels for the Adams trade (who was finally cut by Seattle this year) and the great draft of a couple of years ago, and has made a bunch of really bad free agent signings (glad we finally cut bait with Uzomah and Tomlinson…still need to find a way to get rid of Lazard)…and to me the biggest blunder has been his continued inability to fix the OL. So far, you can definitely argue the bad has outweighed the good, but now if we walk away with a decent receiver this offseason, then that’ll go a long way.

Still needs to be playoffs or bust it all up though

11. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

That was part of 2022.

As far as most Jets' fans wanting to believe in Rodgers are concerned 2022 never happened :)

12. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

Where is the rumored price tag?

Guessing the reason starts there

13. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

dawinner127 likes this.
  14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Kinlaw's deal is still an outlier in a negative way. CAP manipulation can be done on any deal. In fact players prefer that since that means larger bonus and they get the money sooner. And let's say we do strike gold with him: it does not have a second year team option. Just seems like a bit much - but hopefully Saleh really knows something we don't.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Weird that they added a Hertz Boston to Newark airport.

17. abyzmul

Boston even owns us in rental cars.

18. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

You bring up a perfect point here about pushing CAP. This is something teams need to do more of, not less. It's exactly like taking interest free loan. Yes, eventually you have to pay it all, but in real terms it is worth less if you pay it later. JD needs a guy who can help him with this - then you don't have to lose Bryce Huff to get Tyrone Smith: you can do both and pay for it later, when it's value is reduced over time, since it is completely interest free.

Did the fucker took a D tour to NE?

Jets79 likes this.
  19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think that’s not Mike Williams and they’re making fun of Nania. But Idunno.

20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

He'd better be here!