2024 NFL Free Agency News and Rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Mar 8, 2024.

1. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Don't forget that no one in the Jets front office knows jack shit about evaluating QB talent. Not one. Pittsburgh clearly does though.

I'm just praying the Jets don't F up the draft despite Joe Douglas being in charge of it. It's asking a lot but one can hope and dream.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

There is a reason the Broncos moved on from Russell Wilson and ate that huge contract. Russ lost to Zach Wilson last year. No thanks.

papapump and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Pitt just traded a 6th for Justin Fields, so they are not going QB in round 1 most likely. They are paying like $5M or so in cap space for Wilson and Fields combined I heard. I guess that doesn’t necessarily preclude them from going QB in round 1, but I would guess QB is out of the question for them now…so will be interesting to see if that affects draft trades once we get rolling

4. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Rodgers lost to Zach to.

Kronoking and BrowningNagle like this.
  5. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

To me it looked like Russel Wilson still had some gas left in the tank in the bit I watched him play last season.

6. WarriorRB28

He also beat Josh Allen and the Bills on the road in prime time.

7. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Tyrod Taylor is a timid game manager with little chance of beating good teams. Fields, for all his drawbacks, can rise up and beat a playoff team. He's also cheaper than Taylor. If this is a superbowl push, or playoff push, or whatever were calling this travesty, Fields should have been an easy choice over Taylor.

The problem was JD wouldn't eat the crow it takes to sign Fields, and Rodgers seems pretty determined to have no valid backup to call for if he stumbles.

8. WarriorRB28

Has there been any talk of the wily old veteran OBJ joining the Jets?

It would remind me of when the Jets signed LT back in 2010. Sure OBJ is not the type of star he was in his Giants days but in a reduced but still important role he could help the Jets win. And we have Aaron frickin' Rodgers to get him the ball.

For me if the Jets were to sign OBJ after the Tyron Smith signing it would be the cherry on top of a delicious free agency sundae.:)

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That's disturbing. I guess that's one of the problems with Hogan and the other guy leaving and not being replaced. Joe couldn't be on 2-3 different phone calls at once.

10. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

The problem was that Fields wasnt coming here. There is an article out explaining that their were multiple suitors for Fields, he wanted to go to the Steelers and they did right by him, cant pin everything on JD all the time, low hanging fruit...

blackssmagic, ouchy and AtlantaJet like this.
  11. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Saw someone on Twitter say which I doubt is true, Mike Williams to Jets is basically done. Meeting tomorrow is a physical and reported deal is 2 yrs 28 mil. Also says Jets are exploring trade for Aiyuk. No idea how they acquire him without a second. I think a third is too little and 10th overall is too much.

Anyways none of this is probably true anyways.

12. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

I saw a report Williams was meeting with 4 teams. That was from TheScore, who I trust, but you never know these days.

Sent from my genius mind.

13. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Its atleast 3, one is the panthers though and Williams will likely sign a one year prove it deal. If you were a WR looking to prove something would you rather it be with Bryce Young or Arod? My prediction is he signs here, opens the draft wide, trade back or take Odunze, Fashanu or Bowers at 10 please.

NYJalltheway likes this.
  14. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

That guy, Tony Vegas…he called a few moves…Kwon to Jets, and Smith to Jets so he must have a source. Kinda intrigued about Aiyuk though.

dawinner127 likes this.
  15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Mike Williams is very injury prone and coming off a torn ACL.

Keenan Allen was the prize from the Chargers and Joe Douglas missed (again), I would pass on WIlliams unless its dirt cheap which I dont think it will be

16. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

The noise about Mike Williams injury prone isn't really true. From 2018-2022 he played 13+ games - including 15+ in 4 consecutive years from Yeah, he's always banged up, but he does play. Coming off an ACL injury is definitely a real concern, but that was the first time in half a decade he's had an injury like that.

I heard this morning from Will Parkinson that the Bears are going to extend Keenan Allen which is why he ended up there and not with us. A 2/28 max deal based off incentives on his health is a very solid move.

Borat likes this.
  17. BrowningNagle

WIlliams is injured a lot and the best thing he brings to the field is jumping up and catching passes high in the air as he gets hit. That's the best thing he has and it is possibly the single most injury-inducing play in the game! And is he even healthy today? We are only 5 months away from the torn ACL. GMs should hold out and revisit his signing in August.

I also do have deep concerns for how Williams will produce without a Keenan Allen working the middle of the field with such precision and taking the attention of safeties.

Williams should be getting a 1 year prove-it deal. Prove you are and can stay healthy, prove you can produce without Keenan Allen, then we can talk about a multi-year deal

tomdeb likes this.
  18. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Allen is entering the age, where he can fall off a cliff in very short order. Remember Brandon Marshall? Came to us, and as a 31 year old had 1500 yards. But just a year later as a 32 year old looked very average. As a 33 year old was washed. Allen is 32 in a few weeks. On an 18 mil dollar contract looking for extension.

Mike Williams to me is also a risk coming off injury. But the price tag will be a lot less. He is a 2.5 years younger too. Both have significant risks. If we can get Mike though on a 1 year relatively cheap deal (maybe second year a team option for more money) without giving up any draft capital it's probably a better way to go.

19. BrowningNagle

Allen plays a completely different game than Brandon Marshall. They are not comparable. Allen plays outside and inside for one, Marshall was only an outside reciever. Allen is focused and hyper committed to his craft, Brandon Marshall was beating his wife and missing practices to host TV shows

20. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Fields would have been a good pick up even with Rodgers. Allen would have been a good pick up despite his age. Williams is enticing, big man. But as some stated here he s injured a lot. It may be worth it if he can come cheaper.
    What is left for WRs????